A scary report here:

"By:
    Peggy Lawson Executive Assistant
    Florida Office of Drug Control
    Executive Office of the Governor
    Plaza Level 04 The Capitol
    Tallahassee, FL 32399

TRUE STORY/ This happened in Tallahassee...be careful.

Subject: returning-money

I just wanted to let you know about an "incident" that happened to me a few weeks ago that could have been deadly. At first, I didn't go to the police or anyone with it because I didn't realize how serious this encounter was.

But since I work in a jail and I told a few people about it, it wasn't long before I was paraded into Internal Affairs to tell them my story. It was approximately 5:15 a.m. I had stayed with a friend and I was on my way to work. I stopped to get gas at the gas station, buying $10 worth of gas and a Diet Coke.

I took into the store two $5 bills and one $1 bill (just enough for the gas and Coke). As I pulled away from the store, a man approached my truck from the backside of the store (an unlit area).

He was a respectable-looking man (clean cut, clean-shaven, well dressed, etc.) He walked up to my window and knocked. Since I am very paranoid and always looking for the rapist or killer," I didn't open the window, and I kept the door locked. I just asked what he wanted.

He raised a $5 bill to my window and said, "You dropped this." Since I knew I had gone into the store with a certain amount of money, I knew I didn't drop it. When I told him it was not mine, he began hitting the window and door and screaming at me to open my door and that I had dropped the money!

At that point, I drove away as fast as I could. After talking to the Internal Affairs Dept. and describing the man I saw and the way he escalated from calm and polite to angry and volatile.... it was determined that I could have possibly encountered a serial killer himself. At this point, it is unclear as to how he gains access to his victims since there has been no evidence of forced entry into any homes.

Also, he has been attacking in the daytime when women are less likely to have their guard up...and what gesture is nicer than returning money to someone who dropped it? How many times would you have opened your window (or door) to get your money and say "Thank You" because if a person is kind enough to return something to you then he can't really be a threat... can he??

Please be cautious! Anyone who gets that angry over someone not accepting money from them can't have honorable intentions.

Guys, tell your wives about this...your mothers, girlfriends. Mothers, tell your daughters.

This is serious."

I can't verify that this really happened, but the message is still clear....be careful.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

ABW Ambassador
    True, everyone should be careful, though this story has been identified as a hoax. "Urban Legend" is how the Tallahassee Police website labeled it.

http://www.ci.tallahassee.fl.us/city...2004/0410.html

Still, it could happen, I guess. It's a jungle out there.

Wayne

Good find Wayne. I didn't check there.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

With all the nut cases running around loose these days, you never know. I try to keep my guard up at all times, because there's no way of knowing what the true circumstances are.

One only has to consider how much road rage there is today to understand how many people are right on the edge...

Andy

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread