ABW Ambassador
    Hi all,

I just posted this in the Parasiteware forum, but thought I'd place it here also, for those who may not venture into the P'Ware section.

If your SpyBot program doesn't seem to have been picking up new update files lately, it's because a new version has been released. You might want to go to http://www.safer-networking.org/ and pick up the new version.

I just ran it on my own system (I had just run the old version 3 days ago) and it picked up 463 problems. It's got over 14000 items that it checks for now, as opposed to 5000+ previously.

And it nicely removed all the commission tracking cookies still. Oh well. A useful util though.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Nice. People should check the new version out. I can't remember if the Immunize feature was on the last version, some good stuff there i think:

http://www.safer-networking.org/

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=mirrors

Immunize Search & Destroy
    Beginning from version 1.2, Spybot-S&D allows you to immunize your computer against some spyware. It currently offers three different immunities:

Permanent Internet Explorer immunity

Similar to JavaCools SpywareBlaster, this allows you to tweak some internal Internet Explorer settings to block the installation of known spyware (and similar threats) installers. Spybot-S&D is able to set all entries for those that are in its database to be blocked. If you want to distinguish, you should install SpywareBlaster.

Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer

This is a second layer of protection for IE. While the Permanent Immunity blocks installers by their ActiveX ID, this one blocks anything that should come through by different aspects.
    You can view a log of blocked installers in the Tools / Resident section.

Permanent Opera immunity

This list shows all Opera profiles, and how many of the plugins that Spybot-S&D knows as bad are already blocked in each profile. To set the complete protection, just tick the checkbox in front of the profile you want to protect. To remove the protection, untick the checkbox.

Not many browser plugins are currently working for Opera, but the try to install some may crash Opera, and ActiveX support for Opera is available in third-party beta software, so use this function as a pre-caution against future misuse of Opera through spyware.

ABW Ambassador
    I just installed it and had it so it would promt when something tries do dl and a promt came up for Avenue A. Inc which is
    http://www.avenuea.com/

It wouldn't be blocking cookies would it?

ABW Ambassador
    I get this when clicking LS links:

Spybot S&D has blocked the download of "Linksynergy"

And same thing with BF links:
    Spybot S&D has blocked the download of "BFAST"

Nothing pops up with CJ or Performics links.

Spyware definately sucks - trust me, I know -- I spend many hours of my day removing it for other people. The single best way to stay awy from it, if you can handle it, is to change browsers and not use IE unless you really have to.

just my 2 cents,

B

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread