Guys,

How to find out domain owner's name?. I tried Internic's whois but their system wouldn't let me know the name of the owner.

Thx,
    Andy

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    When using whois.sc, I found that if the domain is registered with NetSol, you have to go through their site and punch in one of those robot-proof numbers in order to see the data.

(Whois.sc always says Netsol's whois database is down, but it really isn't.)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Our's is locked and probably so is theirs.
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

Joey Tomatoes, what do you mean your's is locked and probably so is theirs.

I didn't know you could not be shown in their database for any reason. Isn't there some legalities with Domain names that internic has to abide by?

Don't they have a directory that you can request or pay to get listed in, just like a phone book listing? That's the way I understood their website to explain, but then again I haven't checked in lately there.

Thx wyvern . I tried to upgrade to silver membership but couldn't as I don't have paypal account.

Any other sites with similar functionalities you can recommend to me?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Whois information is about to get some new legal teeth. USA and foreign cybercrime units are pushing through international criminal laws on the accuracy/transparancy of domian ownership. Those who post phoney Whois info will be prosecuted and the domains taken out of the DNS. Registrars who offer a fee based service to hide the Whois info will be banned from this practice.

All Whois info wil become transparant so domains caught in cybercrime acts and spamming will get duly OUTED.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

cowcool-

try www.samspade.org <- very good tool

re: whois information going all public, that'll be interesting. Oregon had it's entire database of license plates online for a brief period of time. Imagine the joy of simply popping on someone plate and finding their name/addy/phone number. That didn't last too long. Possible to find and easy to access are two hugely different things.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>All Whois info wil become transparant so domains caught in cybercrime acts and spamming will get duly OUTED <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Total domain ownership transparency means more spam and actually endangers those who need anonymity for very valid legal reasons. Just so the law enforcement officer saves himself a phone call to a registrar.

I have the whois.sc silver membership.. it's great for digging up the real owners of domains, finding relationships between sites, finding out histories, identifying spammers and that sort of thing.

If you need any kind of "intelligence" on other webmasters, then whois.sc silver membership is recommended.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread