A few Questions About Choosing Domain Names.
    Hi, great forum and I find everyone here to be quite helpfull, just a few questions, if you can help out I'd appreciate it,.

I'm still a bit unclear as to choosing the correct domain name, so far I've learned that it's good to:

1. have your keywords in the domain
    2. no dashes?
    3. .com is better?
    4. keep it short?

So far I have 3 .com domain names, onlinedatingclass (online dating reviews), secretwowguides (world of warcraft site), final-fantasy-14-leveling-guide.

What is your opinion on these 3 choices? I'm thinking about changing the domain for the dating site because I might want the word review in the name. Just have a few questions.......

1. does the domain name & site name have/should be the same?
    2. Question about keywords, how many google results should come up for your keyword? eg. dating site reviews comes up with 50,800,000, is this too much? Should I target different keywords or change to a different sub-niche within dating sites? How many google results is a good number for a keyword.
    3. Should you go for "converting type keywords" only? What exactly makes a keyword a converting keyword?
    4. should one site mainly focus on 1 keywords and try to rank for it or several keywords.

ABW Ambassador
    2. no dashes?
    3. .com is better?
    4. keep it short?

That's all preferable. I hate dashes. I prefer .com since it's the top extension and one people think of first. Shorter the better. Keywords in the domain help but there have been many successful sites that don't have the keyword in there, can have a totally unrelated word/words and still rank for the keyword they're targetting. Example jobs. Jobs.com is nice but Monster.com ranks ahead of them for jobs. First time I went to that site, I was expecting monsters. But keywords do help. I have some niche sites where my targetted keyword is in my domain and it definitely helps.

Dating is one of the tougher areas to get in.

For keywords - https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

You can see exactly which ones are getting search on. Put in dating in there and try phrase or exact match. It would be nice if you can get a .com with one of the more searched on words but they're pretty much gone. You might find some ones towards the bottom of the list.

So far I have 3 .com domain names,
    onlinedatingclass (online dating reviews)

secretwowguides (world of warcraft site)

final-fantasy-14-leveling-guide - this is not a good one. Beside the dashes -

[final fantasy 14 leveling guide] Exact match - Not enough data means nobody is really searching on that term and nowadays search engines are good at picking out the words in a domain, so you really don't need the dashes.

- It is good to have your main keyword in your domain but it is not mission-critical.

2. no dashes?
    - None. Definitely. Can you imagine somebody saying or thinking, for example, "best dash music dash downloads dot com"?

3. .com is better?
    - com is still the most popular tld and people kind of automatically add it to the names of websites, specially when they do not really remember what the tld is.

4. keep it short?
    - Yes, do keep it short. Short domain names are easier to remember and if you will be doing adwords later on, you won't exceed the 35 character limit of the display url

Hope that helps

Desirable because CURRENT search algos give a fair amt of weight to keywords in the domain. Not the end of the world if you don't though - it's only one ranking factor.

2. no dashes?
    Preferably. No more than 1 if you must. More than 1 = hard to remember and looks kind of spammy .

3. .com is better?
    Generally (unless you're in a country where the cctld is as/more popular, such as Germany or the UK). You can be successful on another tld if the .com is NOT a developed site, but try for a decent .com if you can find one.

If you have the budget and really can't find an available .com that you like, consider searching the aftermarket domain sales sites and backorder sites to see if you can find something suitable. Though some sales and auctions can end up pretty pricey, you may be able to find something perfect for a niche site in the $60-$200 range. (Check archive.org to make sure it doesn't have a dodgy history if you're backordering).

4. keep it short?
    If you can, but longer and more memorable is better than shorter but confusing.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    A 2 or 3 (or 4) word keyword string in your domain name can help you get you good rankings for that string. No dashes needed. Dashes make it harder for people to remember your domain - they always forget to put them in. Go to http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com to find 3+ word strings that are searched quite often.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Aside from the search engines, important as they are, try to make things as easy as you can for the humans, too. You might toss in some memorable brand name along with those keywords to come up with a combination that isn't taken and that will also be easier to remember.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread