Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Exclamation Account Suspended??
    Ive been a Shareasale affiliate for over 2 years, received all payments on time (well most) and have never broken the TOS. Ive promoted via private media buys and contextual (adbrite and such) also some social, but have never gone beyond that.

I recently tried to log into my account and got some wierd error about my contact information, which to my knowledge was fully updated and correct. I never received any warnings, if a merchant had an issues i fully complied, and have always been direct about my traffic and such. I use the promote and pray method as not all merchants convert for my traffic sources, but even with the new networks ive added to the list i have not received any questions or concerns regarding traffic. I ALWAYS make sure to keep my merchants happy, and if there is an issue we cant resolve together i just drop them.

This is the first time this has happened, and ive never had any fraud warnings on my account since ive had it. Most of the merchants ive promoted ive used for over a year with no issues, even getting bonuses and gifts from a ton of them.

Brian, PLEASE help me out. If there were any issues i will correct them, and if someone is not happy with my traffic ill drop them. I always make sure to comply with any forms of rules that Shareasale has as well as with the merchant TOS.

Ive gone over the TOS about 10x and cant even find the word contextual, so im hoping that wasnt the case. if there was some sort of contact information that was wrong then i will update it, but i just received my 10-99's so there shouldn't be.

I love Shareasale, its one of my favorite affiliate networks, and i dont want to lose you guys! If there is a merchant that had any issues then you can let me know and i will stop ALL traffic!!! I use prosper202 to track alot of my stuff as well as my own custom back end, i know with some merchants i have to enable my links to show destination and others come up blank. If this was the issue i will have my script revised to show full destination. I dont like to give away my private sources of traffic but if its what it takes then i guess ill have to.

Thanks Brian, I do alot of marketing in the IM world and i always make sure to stay compliant with anything im doing. I will do the same for you to.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; March 17th, 2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: removed contact info.

This is the error i recieved, ive never had any prior warnings or questions from shareasale, and if a merchant has ever had an issue ive resolved it with them. I actually do ALOT of work with Andy's merchants and CSN.

"Your account has been suspended either for violation of the Terms of Service, or due to your removal of all contact information in your account - and will not return."

Im hoping my account wasn't hacked and my contact information removed, but then again i dont know. I'm really worried as Ive spent over $800 this month in traffic alone and dont want to take a hit on my investment. Like i said before if it was any of the new merchants i was promoting, ill stop immediately. Ive asked all my sources to remove any banners and pause campaigns for now. Honestly with two years of work put into this i hope we can continue working together.

ABW Ambassador
    You've promoted your own site(s) via "private media buys and contextual (adbrite and such) also some social" or merchants via affiliate links thru those means?

Your own sites, I don't see a problem with. The other maybe, since you're only supposed to have links on your own properties.

I don't see the word contextual either in the TOS. I did find a very old post from 2002 - where he said he was against:

"ParasiteWare(TM) - is a program(s) or site(s) that specifically uses technology (bho's, browser plug-ins, auto homepage settings, pop ups or sliders or other means that become available) to retain or acquire new customers via contextual advertising on any site other than the credited affiliate's, advertiser's or merchant's site."

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...ght=contextual

Don't know if that's the case here.

Other Merchants, I didn't think adbrite was ad-ware as there is no toolbar, just an interesstial ad that pops every now and then. I do see the TOS against toolbars but thats it. I do throw a bunch of relating keywords to the merchants im promoting, but i do in while complying with the merchants TOS. If there are certain restrictions i follow them.

ABW Ambassador
    "I do see the TOS against toolbars but thats it."

Where is that? There was a past discussion and a proposed policy on toolbars but didn't think there was any actual follow thru on it and when some affiliates bring it up, it gets skipped over. I checked here - http://www.shareasale.com/agreement.cfm and don't see the word toolbar anywhere. Where are you seeing it? Thanks.

They do go through my own site (Tracking/redirect) before reaching theres, and with the media buys i do have a link thrown up on sites i buy ad space from. I figured this would be considered the same? Honestly i would not have known to check these forums for a continuation of the TOS.

NOT ALLOWED: Any placement of creative in a "Desktop" advertising scheme. This includes any and all 3rd party advertising platforms that use a desktop application to display ads in any form.

I thought that meant toolbar since it would be on the users computer, and not generated from any sort of link. Isn't a toolbar pretty much a parasite in its own?

ABW Ambassador
    There is a long thread on toolbars - http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...116256&page=15

In the first post there is a proposed toolbar policy but as you read near the end, you see affiliates asking, so where is it at? -

Are we still waiting for the roll-out of this new policy or have I missed something?

Honest question, did I miss this? Is it next week already or did this just disappear?

It is beginning to look as though the new policy has just gone away. ????

So what ever came of this?

Brian, is this still on the agenda for ShareASale in the future? Just curious.

Never gets answered for some reason. And I could never find a link to this policy anywhere.

well then im at a loss, i have no idea why im suspended and my contact information is free for the world to see. I thought if using contextual or interesstial advertising was against terms it would be in the TOS.

I have probably made over 30k using Shareasale in the past two years with no issues thus far, so its really bothering me considering ive spent over $900 in traffic this month and was only about +$600. This will be a huge hit to me and i never got any form of warning...THIS SUCKS!! Hopefully Brian can help. This network is one of my fav and from what i hear he is a good man to work with when issues come up (this being my first).

Doh, i checked out the link you sent but Brians link "A reading of the post topic... http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...1&m=4416069321 would be helpful to anyone not knowing what i am talking about..." is not available anymore, so i cant even see where i stand relating to that topic. Honestly i think it should be cleared up a little more in the TOS so i can see where/how i went wrong (if thats even the case) . I WANT to comply, I just need to know how!

PS: On Adbrite i use text ads and inline ads mainly, so i still dont see how this could be against TOS. Honestly i thought it would be almost the same as using PPC, just more targeted.

brian@shareasale.com

Don't wait for him to find this thread. Email him directly. He's always happy to work with affiliates that have concerns, he's just that kinda guy.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Yep just got an email from him and hes looking into it from me. Very stand-up kinda guy. A+ so far and fingers are crossed!!

Maybe a mod can remove his contact info now since Brian is in touch with him. No reason to leave it out there at this point.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by knight01 View Post
    Maybe a mod can remove his contact info now since Brian is in touch with him. No reason to leave it out there at this point.
    Removed.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Thanks guys! You have been a big help. Didn't think i would receive so much insight from this forum without being bashed.

It sounds to me like one of the places you bought traffic might not be kosher, and you're sending that traffic directly to the merchant. Bouncing it through your site and redirecting is the same as sending it direct. I could be reading what you said wrong, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    @ Michael,

I don't know about the location or the quality of traffic but it would be no different from a PPC affiliate. He is and was on AdBrite and while most ppc aff are on Google and Yahoo

The way I read it, AdBrite was just one example and some of the other traffic sources are contexual.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Well that was the main source, i was using that as an example because its so versatile. Ive obviously done testing with other media's in the past but this is my main source of traffic. When you look at adbrite you can see you can buy media space from approved domains via them, which is what i did. Hence the media buys and such.

I consider Adbrite Contextual seeing that you can place ads based on keywords, which is what i like to do. I grab a merchant, scrape some relevant keywords, run them for a month and see if they convert and then rinse and repeat.

Also when i meant bouncing im running it through my own tracking backend. I try to ween out the keywords that convert with the ones that dont. Once i find the right EPC i keep the converting KW's there and toss the crap. The tracker is hosted on my end (both prosper and my custom) so they do have to visit my site, then it directs them to the merchant link. I always make sure to use text links when i promote, but i didnt think it was illegal to have a custom tracker?

ABW Ambassador
    When they get to your site. Do they have to click a link first before they go to the merchant or are they automatically redirected to the merchant (via your affiliate link) once they hit your page?

The ads on adbrite are still in PPC form, but when i use inline i guess that could be considered different? Im just not sure what the terms are for something of that sort because it still requires a click, but it will show a preview of the domain before they actually click through. This is where im confused. I tried to go to that link from back in '02 but its not working, so i really have no other guidelines to go buy except for the TOS. It doesn't even have the word contextual in there so i figured i would be safe.

Maybe this will bring up changes to the TOS? I dont know if one of the sites i bought traffic space from had an issue, but i never received any notification or complaints from ANY of the merchants or Shareasale itself. Thats where im scratching my head. When im using the same source of traffic for over a year and racking in over 30k in commissions, i figured there was no problem

I have had issues in the past where a merchant has asked me to show full source of where the traffic is coming from and i have complied, because as i stated in my other posts sometimes the refer link doesn't carry over. I also looked in the TOS for that and didnt see any issues for having a blank click through refer.

Its still a click of a link. When your doing text link it looks just like Google or yahoo, and when you use Inline ads its a random keyword that is clickable to the user on the page (if you look on adbrite.com you can see an example). The thing with Inline ads is it shows a preview of the merchants site in a small box before they click the link (when you hover over it) but you would still need to click in order to go to the merchant site. I dont know, still confused.

ABW Ambassador
    Ah ok. I've used Adbrite before but just for buying ads on other sites to mine.

http://www.adbrite.com/mb/how-publis...section=inline

These are affiliate links on your own site that people actually have to click to go over to the merchant site, if I'm reading that right? That looks ok to me.

I figure it might be a problem if it was somewhere else instead of your own properties.

Hold up, that's not it is it? That's paying per click. Don't see how you would get your own affiliate links in there.

"I consider Adbrite Contextual seeing that you can place ads based on keywords, which is what i like to do. I grab a merchant, scrape some relevant keywords, run them for a month and see if they convert and then rinse and repeat."

So you buy keywords and the ads are your affiliate links and these can show up on other sites? If that's it, that's probably where the problem is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast