How to set up a website?
    Hi Guys and gals, very new here, first day first post.

Does any one have any tips or links to setting up website a "do it your-self style?"

I already have broadband access and wesbite address.

Cheers and all the best.

Veteran
    Hi Kiwinz,

Plan to set up a blog. It's the easiest way to start a website - about a minute to install through your host's cPanel interface. A couple of clicks, a couple of blanks to fill in and your site is online. You'll have to tweak out the design, but there are plenty of free and professional Wordpress themes around to make that part of the process pretty easy too.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ros

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Yes, a blog is the way to go. You can replace the header.jpg file (right click and find it then save it) with your own header and put your own logo or image to customize it. If you are going to try and make some money with it you need to use a hosted WordPress.org blog (not the free one at Wordpress.com) or a free Google blogger blog. And there are countless other blogging platforms, but WordPress and Blogger are the most commonly used.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

You said you already have a website address. Does this mean that you have already registered a domain name? If yes, then well and good as that is the first step I do when I want to set up a website.
    The second thing that I do is get a web hosting service for my site. I like hosting my sites on my own web hosting server as this gives me full control.
    The third step is the actual building of the site. This will depend on the type of site I am setting up. For a blog I always use wordpress as it is very easy to use and you can customize it in many many ways. For a "static" site, I use either the site builder offered by the hosting service or one of the website building programs that i have installed on my computer. The choice depends on whether the hosting server's site builder fits the overall structure and purpose of the site I am building. If not, then I use one of the site building programs on my computer (which one again depends on what needs to be done on the website).

There are a lot of places to go to get free information on how to set up a website. I am shocked that so many people would suggest that you go the blog route. Without knowing what your goals are and what you really want to accomplish with a site it would be foolish to give such advice.

As a beginner, what you want to find is a platform that is easy to use and one that you can learn as you go. It does not have to be or or look like a blog nor would you have to blog if that is not where your focus is needed for your business to be successful.

Granted one of the best platforms available now-a-days does happen to be known as a fantastic blog platform... but it can be used as a content management system just as easily and is rapidly becoming popular for that as well. It is not the only platform out there that is easy to set up and easy to learn but IMHO it is the best.

Here is a link to my reasons for using WordPress: http://www.ultimatesolution.biz/articles/top-12-reasons-to-use-wordpress

If you have any questions or would like additional information, please feel free to contact me via PM. The most important bit of advice I offer. Do your own research. Don't go with others tell you. Find answers to your questions and do what is best for you!
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; March 21st, 2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: unlinked

If you are a visual person the easiest way is to use Kompozer it's free and it gets the job done with very little knowledge. Also it produces sight comparable to frontpage or dreamweaver.

I am not sure I am allowed to post links to our website here or even just the unlinked web address so I am not going to do it, but on our website we have free website building lessons.

When you say "do it yourself style" I assume you mean that you want to learn how to build your own site.

Again, I would at least have you consider WordPress. Others mentioned are also very similar. Most are based on open source code which just means that the code is available to anyone that wants to use it and/or improve it. The code is shared publicly but then placed into each website securely.

Keep in mind, pretty much everything and anything you want to know is available for free with some detailed searching and research. Especially if you opt to go with open source based PHP/MySql code.

I would find out from affilorama what type of website building information they have. We also offer free website building articles and tutorials that are specifically designed for WordPress.

Keep us updated with what you decide. I find this topic fascinating and love to hear about how others learn.
    Join the [CENTER][URL="http://ownwp.com"]Online Work Network for We Professionals[/URL][/CENTER]

Another nice thing about Wordpress is that they have decent tutorials on their site, so you can learn about how it works.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread