Wordpress plugin for header graphic?
    I've been searching for a plugin that will switch the header graphic of a wordpress blog based on the category the visitor is reading. I've found a way to do it with php code in the template, but would prefer to use some type of plugin if it is available.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

knight01, you should ask Joost deValk. He makes a lot of custom made plugins, and he hosts the WP Community Podcast. I'm sure he can put you in the right direction, or hell, he could ask a core developer and get the answer.

I can't say I know of any but using some simple PHP seems like the easiest and lightest way to me? Sure, making changes isn't as easy as it might be if there was a plugin.. Do you make changes often?

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    I know it can be done. I have a wordpress category ad plugin that displays certain banners based on the category. I bet it could be modified to work for you.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    I think this might be what you are looking for:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...post-template/

Then when you customize the template, you change the header file name that is called in each one (so if you have 12 categories, you'll have 12 header files, that all simply call a different image in them) and you can even have footers and all that change as well or go a bit further and have different ads per category as well.

I know that there are particular themes that allow you to have entirely different pages and therefore allow you to choose a different header image for each page. I did this on a site recently.

Quote Originally Posted by BlogBonnieBlog View Post
    I think this might be what you are looking for:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...post-template/

Then when you customize the template, you change the header file name that is called in each one (so if you have 12 categories, you'll have 12 header files, that all simply call a different image in them) and you can even have footers and all that change as well or go a bit further and have different ads per category as well.
    That's pretty close, but it's a per post template not per category which isn't exactly what I need. I know I can change it with each post, but others posting in the category could screw up and not use the right template.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarson View Post
    I can't say I know of any but using some simple PHP seems like the easiest and lightest way to me? Sure, making changes isn't as easy as it might be if there was a plugin.. Do you make changes often?
    Your right, once I get the categories setup they will not change often enough to be concerned. I'll just add some php to the header.php to switch graphics.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmWilliam View Post
    I know it can be done. I have a wordpress category ad plugin that displays certain banners based on the category. I bet it could be modified to work for you.
    Would you mind posting which plugin you use for this? I have just started the process of finding something like this. Thanks.

Greg

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Its used with WP Coupon. I haven't had the time to add it to Wordpress's plugin database yet. If your interested I will try to get it up tomorrow or so or I can send it to you.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

was wondering
    I also do custom theme modifcation and designs i was wondering if there would be an easy way to substitute the banners according to the catorgories will be lookin for your plugin

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    This is not exactly what you were asking for since you were wanting to change the header.

A plugin I have used sets a default image for each category. Then whenever a post is made with that category it will show the image for that category automatically in the loop and in the single page if you hack that to look for an image stored there.

It might work well with different users or blogs that already have a lot of posts. WIth this you do not have to go back and assign an image.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/category-icons/

All you have to do is set a folder for the categories, setup the plugin,and make sure all the posts are in a good category and hopefully only one.

I guess you could hack the header.php to pull a header image if there was one.

Tried using custom keys? Let me know if interested using custom keys, I can perhaps write a small tut on how to use them. I prefer using custom keys over using plugins

What you are trying to do can be better sorted out using the custom keys.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread