Hello All,

I am planning to close down my site Shoparama.com for a number of reasons. The paramount reason being that it is not making any money. I think for the past few months, it's made $2.52 on CJ --- whooptee-do!
    Anyhow, I know a lot of it is my fault. I just have not had the time to maintain it. I'm launching a search portal on the 28th of June (yup, I'm a little mad) and have been concentrating on that in content, community as well as commerce areas.
    Here's my dilemea, Shoparama has been around a while and used to rank in the low 200000 range on alexa and is now 1,533,216.
    The bottom line is that I know, I'm going to be investing my live's blood in the new portal and being somewhat of a perfectionist, I want to kill shoparama and concentrate on the shopping category of the new site instead. I plan to have only paid links in the shopping section as well as our own affiliate links. (This will be stated clearly on the site)

Is it possible to kill my current accounts with CJ, Linkshare and so on and simply sign up again for all of them -- a new beginning symbolically? I already have the portal domain added in all my existing accounts but not as the major domain.

I'm so sick of looking at the shoping site with all the crap in it, that I'm just ready to take it down and redirect as many links as possible to the shopping category of the new site.

I would appreciate any advice on this from both affiliate merchants and publishers. I feel pretty happy with the direction of the new site that I would just like to concentrate on "monetizing" that than on maintaining a site that makes me cringe anytime I think about it or look at it.
    The new site is something I've been working on for about 5years and is my last hurrah! If it doesn't work I'm quiting the web (Am I dramatic or what?)

Anyhow, I look forward to your responses.

Best Regards....

I think you are all turned aroound....

a SEARCH PORTAL????

why would you want to do that to yourself....

I have one and I use it to direct traffic to my mall...
    not the other way around..

if you want to take you mall ofline... I would just redirect the domain to your new site... no sense losing all that traffic... if your mall isnt converting now ... the traffic isnt "niche targeted traffic" this is most likely why you mall has failed...to produce sales...

most malls a made up of many narrow niche websites/pages... it is these focused pages that make sales...

joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Thanks my2cents... I know, I'm a little mad but I'm building a search portal that will appeal to creative types and anyone interested in arts and culture, so there'll be related content -- articles, gallery, games, forum, poems, events, directory and so on...

You are absolutely right about shoparama -- there's really no there there [ode to Gertrude Stein ]
    It's admitedly just a site with links to affiliate programs and that's what really bothers me because it could be so much more. However, reality bites and I want to follow my obsession with the other site and let go of shoparama.

Is it worth cancelling my accounts with CJ et al and signing up all over again or should I make the new site the main domain and delete shoparama? What is the right protocol for this sort of thing?

Best Regards...

ABW Ambassador
    Your new projects might be a good way of generating sales at Shoparama. I wouldn't shut it off too quickly as it might blend with them in the future and you will probably want your new site to pay for itself. Focus on specialty "shops" related to your new site content. ("Find Poetry Books At Shoparama" or "Buy art prints at Shoparama" links for example.)

Shoparama.com is a great name with decent PR and some backlinks. You might get a nice penny for it. (Or you could just transfer it to me!

Also, never make any decision based on Alexa's so-called "rankings."

Wayne

"Or you could just transfer it to me!"

Heh heh... I love you too Wayne!

I'm thinking... I'm thinking...

The site is well done. I would keep it and look for alternative forms of advertising. Sites need either enough time for them to catch on or a huge amount of links directing traffic to them (i.e. SE's or SEO / direct links ). Have you done either? I would keep the site, just not update it as much. And build your new site and have it direct additional traffic to the mall site.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

I would keep it too! Heck, I'm with Wayne - if you don't want it toss it my way - I'll take it!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Me too, I need another domain name as well for my traffic and your shoparama domain would fit in with my attitude as well.

I currently am only operating on my name domain for affilite program linking.

It's taking some time, but heck it's paying monthly now the hosting fees and last months paid url listing. It can work.

But strange things are wacking me out in my planning.

Thanks Everyone,

I'll sleep on it and come up with a plan but no matter what happens, there'll be major changes in design and content. I can't bear to look at it right now. It's so cluttered and scary (shivers). Why do I have Ashford plastered all over the front page? What was I drinking?

Anyroad, I appreciate your comments and words of encouragement. I'll keep you posted.

Great sales to you all!

What a GREAT site. It just needs to be repackaged. A new bow and some small pretty stuff.

What to do as a start is to cut everything below the fold, the page is just too long. Pick a monitor resolution and move everything below a reasonable down scroll.
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

Awwww.... Thanks joeytomatoes, that's sweet of you...
    I've decided to revemp it completely. I currently use links2 by GT (perl) but I would like to move to php so I'll sell my licence for $70 to anyone who wants it (retails for $150 I think)

Your site isn't too shabbby either...

If you deside you want to shut the website down, make it easy on yourself, I will buy or trade for it. PM me and we can discuss.

Do It,

Mike
    Easy Websites

???

You don't actually have any products on your site that I can see. It is just billboards with links to the merchants' sites. I have never found this works for me. I put products on the site. Then, when a customer clicks on a certain product, they at least have some interest in that product, not just a general vague thought such as "clothing".

You have the same meta tags on every page and your page content does not really seem to target any particular keywords.

How do people ever even find this site? Do you get any natural page listings in the search engines or do you buy keywords? Do you feed this site traffic from another source?

Something comes up across the top the tells the visitor that they aren't authorized to see it. What is that about? Is that something to clue in the search engines?

It has a PR 5 but does it rank on any serch terms at all? If so, how? I know you wouldn't want to post any secrets but if you could PM me a clue, I would appreciate it.

Looks to me like a nice outline for a site, but really, I would populate the whole thing with products.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doitsites:
    If you deside you want to shut the website down, make it easy on yourself, I will buy or trade for it. PM me and we can discuss.

Do It,

Mike
    http://www.doitsites.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the offer Mike. Still not sure what I'm going to do at this point, but I'll keep you in mind if I do decide to shut down.

Cheers...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    ???
    You don't actually have any products on your site that I can see. It is just billboards with links to the merchants' sites. I have never found this works for me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true... I have not really tried to set it up with any intensity as I've been concentrating on another site.
    It's just too much hassle to add links and products and then have to revove them for one reason or another.

I started around the beginning of the end of the dot com boom and it got so frustrating to have to remove links every other day because sites were dropping like flies. I'm still reeling from those dark days. I only wish each affiliate network would have a deal where entire stores could be set up in minutes and updated on the fly. Ahh.. dreams...

I have no idea what you are talking about -- "Something comes up across the top the tells the visitor that they aren't authorized to see it. What is that about? Is that something to clue in the search engines?"
    I've never paid for listing or rankings or anything else. I will do so with the new site I'm developing but to answer your question, I can not share any secrets unfortunately, because there are none. I just copied and pasted code, nothing fancy. What you see is really what you get.

Anyhow, many thanks for your feedback and if you have specific questions do not hesitate to ask.

Cheerio!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's just too much hassle to add links and products and then have to revove them for one reason or another. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Humm...well isn't that pretty much what we DO for a living?

With data feeds and so forth, it has gotten much easier.

I do like the site lay out, though. Mind if I steal it?

Mine would certainly look different, of course.

Actually, I am Simi-serious about that. I need some help organizing my store. Which is a big mess. Design isn't my strong point.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Shoparama if you're confused come sit over here by me.

I'm constantly amazed by what works...and by what fails. It's all a little haphazard, if you ask me. But I do believe that if something's making you unhappy, ditch it. Get some money for it, but ditch it.

&lt;&lt;But I do believe that if something's making you unhappy, ditch it. Get some money for it, but ditch it.&gt;&gt;

You are right Rhea. It feels like a monkey on my back but it's only because I'm a closet perfectionist and since I'm not a very adept programer, it's just not fun. I can churn out designs in no time but trying to figure out how to integrate affiliate code in an interesting and efficient way, has been a challenge.
    I work with great programers on my current project and may have them look at Shoparama later on.

SSanf --- Feel free to rip the site in anyway you choose. If and when I decide to redevelop, I'll create a very different design so it's no skin off my back.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Who am I to talk...
    Weed out those poor converting BHO infested merchants on the right side and put in a block of Adwords Ads.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread