Display URL violations when linking to affiliate merchants.
    In the past few months I've been getting a good number of disapproved ads in my Adwords account. The reason for the disapproval is given as "Inaccurate Display URL."

A very typical scenario is an ad that uses an affiliate link via a network such as Shareasale. The display ad entered by me matches the destination url (the merchant's website) exactly. No sub-directories or sub-domains. Yet I consistently get my ads disapproved for display url violations.

My working theory is that the redirects used by affiliate networks trigger these violations. The thing is, that, affiliate redirects used to work fine for years, and I'm left wondering if Google is starting to target specific ad networks.

I'm wondering if others have experienced a similar problem or have any elucidating information. I'm also obviously looking for workarounds. If network redirects are the culprit, are in-house affiliate programs safer to use?

I know they have started changing their policies recently http://adwords.blogspot.com/2010/01/...play-urls.html so there may be a problem on their end trying to resolve the redirects.

Are these new ads or old ads?

I would contact Adwords and ask for an explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah View Post
    I know they have started changing their policies recently http://adwords.blogspot.com/2010/01/...play-urls.html so there may be a problem on their end trying to resolve the redirects.

Are these new ads or old ads?

I would contact Adwords and ask for an explanation.
    Thanks for the link. That was something I didn't know.

To answer your question, these are mostly new ads, but going through my history it seems like this had happened with old ads as well. I just talked to Adwords support chat, and the rep told me to use the redirect domain for my display url, i.e. shareasale.com!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by starvingseo View Post
    Thanks for the link. That was something I didn't know.

To answer your question, these are mostly new ads, but going through my history it seems like this had happened with old ads as well. I just talked to Adwords support chat, and the rep told me to use the redirect domain for my display url, i.e. shareasale.com!
    That's not good. Then only one affiliate per company could have an ad (only one ad is allowed per landing url - correct?). If the merchant *allows* direct to merchant ppc there should be a way to display it fairly in the ad.

Yet another reason to have the ads go to a landing page on your site first. But it shouldn't be G forcing that, it should be the merchants/networks. Although it will make my life as an AM easier in the programs that don't allow DTM ppc.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    That's not good. Then only one affiliate per company could have an ad (only one ad is allowed per landing url - correct?). If the merchant *allows* direct to merchant ppc there should be a way to display it fairly in the ad.

Yet another reason to have the ads go to a landing page on your site first. But it shouldn't be G forcing that, it should be the merchants/networks. Although it will make my life as an AM easier in the programs that don't allow DTM ppc.
    I do use landing pages in some instance. In some cases setting up LPs is trickier.

The case for LPs is made trickier as G pushes for higher quality standards:

Originality:

Feature unique content that can't be found on another site. This guideline is particularly applicable to resellers whose site is identical or highly similar to another reseller's or the parent company's site, and to affiliates that use the following types of pages:
    Bridge pages: Pages that act as an intermediary, whose sole purpose is to link or redirect traffic to the parent company
    Mirror pages: Pages that replicate the look and feel of a parent site; your site should not mirror (be similar or nearly identical in appearance to) your parent company's or any other advertiser's site.

This is taken from http://adwords.google.com/support/aw...75&adtype=text.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    This s**ks. This is happening to me right now and driving certain keywords up in a bidding war.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread