Listed as one of the top business books by Business2.0/Fast Company (can't remember which)

Cluetrain Manifesto is available free online.

http://www.cluetrain.com/book/index.html

"The clue train stopped there four times a day for ten years and they never took delivery."
    — Veteran of a firm now free-falling out of the Fortune 500

"...companies so lobotomized that they can't speak in a recognizably human voice build sites that smell like death."
    —"Fear and Loathing on the Web" The Industry Standard

The book is based on 95 Theses, here's the top 10:

1. Markets are conversations.
    2. Markets consist of human beings, not demographic sectors.
    3. Conversations among human beings sound human. They are conducted in a human voice.
    4. Whether delivering information, opinions, perspectives, dissenting arguments or humorous asides, the human voice is typically open, natural, uncontrived.
    5. People recognize each other as such from the sound of this voice.
    6. The Internet is enabling conversations among human beings that were simply not possible in the era of mass media.
    7. Hyperlinks subvert hierarchy.
    8. In both internetworked markets and among intranetworked employees, people are speaking to each other in a powerful new way.
    9. These networked conversations are enabling powerful new forms of social organization and knowledge exchange to emerge.
    10. As a result, markets are getting smarter, more informed, more organized. Participation in a networked market changes people fundamentally.

All 95 are here: http://www.cluetrain.com/book/95-theses.html

It was an important enough book when it came out I bought 100 copies to give to staff, friends and clients.

Looking at AWB, affiliates, and merchants makes me realize how this book is even more true today than ever before.

Enjoy.

ABW Ambassador
    That book told me one thing: if you want a place in the market, you have to have a place for people to converse.

Look at Amazon for example: huge customer review database. People linked to some Harry Potter toys because of the veiled humor contained within some of the reviews.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Thats the most overhyped book when the internet commerce thing started - not worth to read even if its free IMHO

ABW Ambassador
    "Those 7,000 intranet pages didn't come from a top-down command and control system. Those 7,000 pages spawned like mushrooms on a bed of corporate horseshit." <== That's some pure poetry, right thurr.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Overhyped versus worthy read is two different things.

I for one, think this is a great concept for many orgs to try to grok...

>> As a result, markets are getting smarter, more informed, more organized. Participation in a networked market changes people fundamentally. <<

Participation in AWB makes affiliates smarter, and makes merchants respond to publishers/affiliates/customers in ways that they have not had to before.

The capacity of ones quality ideas and execution of them becomes much more interesting in a networked market.

Can you be less vague in your critisism and offer specific thoughts on what ideas you didn't not agree with in Cluetrain?

Dog in the fight.

Oh, I should say too, I'm a friend with one of the authors, so I am not objective.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    LOL, any book that a naked zombie has time for is okay in my book. I'll check it out sometime and see if it gives me anything to chew on.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread