Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Battle with the Bulge
    Yesterday, I passed by a full-length mirror.
    Ouch!!! Is that me? It can't be me! The person in the mirror is way too BIG!
    Oh, I know, it's the mirror, it's all wrong. It skews reflections.
    Ooops, reality check.....
    Yes, it's me The mirror isn't wrong.
    Now gearing up for the battle.

ABW Ambassador
    At least you now know that you are bigger than you want to be.

I went through something similar myself a few yers ago. I couldn't believe that I was so big.
    A few years later, and a lot of hard work behind me, I am now 100 pounds lighter. This has changed my direction in life, now I am on the path to becoming a personal trainer, and also creating a fitness site dedicated to helping people lose weight and get fit.

So, good luck. You now know that you need to make some changes in your life to lose the weight. The next step is obviously doing something about it. That is the hard part.

It can be done.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    At least you now know that you are bigger than you want to be.

I went through something similar myself a few yers ago. I couldn't believe that I was so big.
    A few years later, and a lot of hard work behind me, I am now 100 pounds lighter. This has changed my direction in life, now I am on the path to becoming a personal trainer, and also creating a fitness site dedicated to helping people lose weight and get fit.

So, good luck. You now know that you need to make some changes in your life to lose the weight. The next step is obviously doing something about it. That is the hard part.

It can be done.
    Been there and dooded that..

While I was recovering from a heart stint a few years ago, my doctor said " You're Fat, lose 50 pounds " -

So I lost 70 plus a few.

Just piled on the veggies, drank a ton of water, took my vitamins and all of the sudden, I was thinner.

Sure wish I could get back some of my muscle mass.

I'm wrinky skin and bones now, compared to my old self...

Good Luck on losing the poundage...

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

ABW Ambassador
    "Yesterday, I passed by a full-length mirror."

I saw myself on TV and said whoa. My normal weight (I'm 6' 1) is 185, that's what I feel comfortable at. When I still had a job and first started getting into this, I got up to 200. Then after I went full time with affiliate marketing, my first year I put on another 20 and got up to 220. That first year is when I also had my first TV interview about my site and when it aired, I was like oh damn, I put on a little weight. So just got my calories back in check and have been back to my normal 185, give or take a few pounds, ever since.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    In the late 70s (or was it the early 80s?) I gained a few pounds, cut down on some foods, and took them off. Other than that, I've been the same weight, give or take no more than five pounds, for about the last 35-40 years.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy View Post

Sure wish I could get back some of my muscle mass.

I'm wrinky skin and bones now, compared to my old self...
    You can build muscle mass. How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    You now know that you need to make some changes in your life to lose the weight. The next step is obviously doing something about it. That is the hard part.
    Yes, very hard indeed, specially because I am a gourmet (read gourmand) and love cooking all sorts of things.
    I weighed in and found out I have an astounding 175 lbs! On a 5 foot frame! According to a chart I am obese and that means I am at risk for high blood pressure, stroke, diabetes, breast cancer (after menopause), womb cancer, kidney cancer, colon cancer, gall bladder disease, and heart disease. Ugh!
    So no more big servings of pasta and other carbo-loaded food. No more tall, sweet drinks. No more greasy burgers and fries. No more dessert....

You can still have desert. Just not too much or too often. Skip the sweet drinks and drink water instead. Pasta can be OK if you skip the cream sauce, or at least reduce how often you have it.

January 2009 I found I hit 189 pounds, after being 175 for years (I was 155 in college). I chose to drink water instead of soda, skip the cream sauces and cream based soups, and eat a half sandwich less at lunch. Probably a few hundred less calories a day. I reduced my portions by a small amount at breakfast and dinner as well.

Some weeks I'd lose a few pounds, others nothing at all. After a year I was down just over 20 pounds, and as of today its an even 25.

When I passed my goal (175) and started exercising I started to feel better. I started small, doing push ups while the water got hot for the shower. I still only do about 5 minutes a day of this kind of thing, but I feel a ton better and might fit back into 32 waist 501s some day!

My biggest advice is to take it slowly. Don't expect to lose 5 pounds a week for ten weeks straight. Aim for a pound a week and set a goal weight that is reasonable. Don't starve yourself. Aim for being hungry a half hour before meal time. When I was gaining weight, I never really got hungry. Now, I feel hungry, look at my watch, and notice it's meal time soon. If you are starving all the time, you may be cutting back too much.

One weird trick that worked for me: brushing my teeth early. It just feels wrong to have desert after brushing my teeth. So instead of brushing them just before bed, I'd brush after dinner. This somehow made it easier to skip the bowl of ice cream at 10pm since I didn't want to have to brush them again. Who knows, it might work for you!

And, if you start losing, set up rewards. Have that desert after losing the first five pounds. Have pasta after losing the next five. One day's indulgence will not kill you if you can get back on track. So you may not lose any weight that day (or week), but if you are always moving forward then you can keep to the plan.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

My biggest problem is the habit I have of wondering into the kitchen to graze when I get writer's block or hit a difficulty. Eat then sit down again certainly doesn't help with weight loss. I need to change the habit, get up and walk somewhere else when frustration strikes!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ContentQueen View Post
    My biggest problem is the habit I have of wondering into the kitchen to graze when I get writer's block or hit a difficulty. Eat then sit down again certainly doesn't help with weight loss. I need to change the habit, get up and walk somewhere else when frustration strikes!
    Eat nuts (in moderation) or find something that you enjoy snacking on, that is healthy.

Or just go for a walk when you get the writer's block

Good luck with your change. I think our eating habits, and excersize are among the hardest to change. Recently the doctor told me I needed to lose about 25 pounds because of high blood pressure. It is pretty hard to change when I have free Mountain Dew in the break room. (I'm pretty sure that's how I got the extra pounds :^)) Start with the minor changes and see the results. Then you will have the motivation to get where you want to be.

Affiliate Manager
    You should check in to the HCG diet -- it helped me lose 40 pounds fast and super easy.
    there are a lot of vlogs on youtube about it. Dr. Simeons created the system about 40 years ago. His book, Pounds and Inches, is available online for free in several locations.
    You'll lose pounds and inches and NOT lose muscle. It literally changed my life.

Quote Originally Posted by TxJackie View Post
    You should check in to the HCG diet -- it helped me lose 40 pounds fast and super easy.
    there are a lot of vlogs on youtube about it. Dr. Simeons created the system about 40 years ago. His book, Pounds and Inches, is available online for free in several locations.
    You'll lose pounds and inches and NOT lose muscle. It literally changed my life.
    This is still around? I remember it from 20-30 years ago and thought the FDA had long ago shut it down. If you don't know what it is, it is a two-fold program:
    1) 500 calories a day, and
    2) Daily shots of pregnant women's urine.

enough said.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Just did some quick research - HCG is approved by the FDA only as a fertility drug, NOT FOR WEIGH LOSS.

Side effects include: increased risk of blood clots, headaches, depression, swelling, breast tenderness, water retention, and a potentially life-threatening condition called ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS).

Affiliate Manager affiliateaholic's Avatar
    I never have this kind of problem. Hard to get fat. LOL
    "[COLOR="Red"][I][B]Enthusiasm[/B][/I][/COLOR] is the greatest asset in the world. It beats money and power and influence. It is no more or less than faith in action."

[I][B]Henry Chester[/B][/I]

I've taken to walking the kids to school in the morning and jogging back just to get a bit of exercise in and then other way round to pick em up. Before I did this, I often found my feet swollen by end of day just through lack of movement.

Diets don't work. You need to change your lifestyle. Eat healthier (fewer or ideally no processed foods). Get a gym membership and get into the habit of going at least 3-5 days a week. Most women seem to be all about cardio and afraid of weights. Big mistake. You don't have enough testosterone to get "bulky". On top of that, those with more muscle mass will burn more calories when not working out (resting on off days). Not suggesting doing no cardio, but for me personally I stick to high intensity weight lifting with compound exercises similar to cross fit. Don't expect to jump into that from day one, but make the changes and it will change your life.

Update on my battle with the bulge:

Old habits are hard to kill but if I absolutely have to have pasta, I settle for a moderate serving of puttanesca, or a small serving of carbonara or bolognese.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    You can build muscle mass. How old are you?

Been working out the last week or so ( upper body ) and am getting my season started with my Irrigation business.

At least when I work out, I can see some muscle wanting to get out.

Getting outside in the sun and working will also help.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

Quote Originally Posted by affilorama View Post

Old habits are hard to kill but if I absolutely have to have pasta, I settle for a moderate serving of puttanesca, or a small serving of carbonara or bolognese.
    I don't have a clue what any of that is -

When I quit working in the real world the isolation turned me into a feeding monster. Doesn't help that I built an office about 4 feet from the kitchen. Walking into it and reaching inside the fridge became my main source of exercise. Didn't take long to gain a lot of weight...a problem I had never dealt with before.

Soooo I went to the Dr. in hopes of getting a McDonalds quick fix (diet pills) and he said he had the perfect diet for me -- Eat Less, Move More --

I hate it when he doesn't do what I want, and he ends up being right.

His "diet" is working, although it is real easy to slip back into (the kitchen) my old ways. I also gave up elastic waist pants/shorts, which became my favorite piece of wardrobe after having to get dressed for so many year to go to work. Jeans don't lie. If they fit......I'm ok.......if they don't, well, need I say more? lol
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Calories in < Calories out Always works.

This is was my top ten list:

1. Drink Water
    2. Weight lifting (build bones and muscle)
    3. Exercise ( good for heart, get rid of calories, well-being)
    4. Eliminate White Death Foods (White Sugar, White Refined Flour, Salt, and Cocaine, of course haha)
    5. Sleep ( build muscle, restore energy, etc)
    6. Fist size portion control ( portions of each food group no bigger than your fist)
    7. High glycemic index foods (good for you, slows down absorption of fats, lots of fiber makes you feel full, controlled glucose release)
    8. Reduce stress (meditate, take a walk, throw darts at picture of Jimmy -kidding)
    9. Eat some protein each meal (builds muscle, slows digestion)
    10. Good fats ( fish oil, flaxseed oil)

Well that is the list off the top of my head that I USED to do and looking at the list now, I don't do any of that! Well not until a week ago now I have started getting back in. I packed on the Affiliate20, much like the Freshman20 pounds since I have been doing affiliate marketing for about 2 years.

Time to get back into it.

I also do the same as Brad. Brush teeth after dinner so I am less tempted to eat afterwards. Maybe a nice hot green tea later on. Usually helps.

Cool Start a Weightloss Journey
    Overweight, feeling sluggish, cannot walk up a flight of stairs without feeling breathless---I decided to start walking. With a made up mind I aimed for small goals, one mile at a slow pace. I did this for one month, gradually increasing my stride. I lost 10 pounds.

To battle your bulge, I would suggest to anyone to purchase a good pair of sneakers and start moving. If your will is weak, go with a friend or relative, or join a low cost gym, if you have a financial problem. Most importantly make the first step.

I'm down by 10 lbs. I know it's mostly water loss, but it's a bit of an accomplishment.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast