Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    SAS Exclusive Merchants Please Be Exclusive
    It's certainly the right of any merchant to decide if they will run their program exclusively on SAS or on other platforms as well.

That being said, if you are merchant with Exclusive status on the SAS network than you need to:
    1) not run on any other platform or
    2) notify SAS if you are running on another platform so your Exclusive status can be updated (i.e. removed).

Having a SAS Exclusive Merchant status is a benefit within the network. You get potential recruitment benefits over other merchants. There are, without a doubt, affiliates who look for that seal and it provides them with a confidence over programs being run on multiple platforms.

A good deal of that confidence has to do with SAS's policies regarding adware as well as SAS history of acting on affiliates in violation of their adware policy.

Now when it comes to my attention that a SAS exclusive merchant is running elsewhere beside SAS, it's most likely because I've seen a network link come through some adware that isn't SAS.

I've had this happen with a handful of merchants over the last few weeks. What really bugs me is having a program misrepresented to existing and/or potential affiliates.

So if you have Exclusive status on SAS and you really aren't Exclusive, then you need to do something about that (one way or another).

ABW Ambassador
    Do you know if Brian/SAS have been notified when this happens, so the exclusive tag can be removed? Like those handful of merchants, are they still listed as exclusive?

http and a telephoto
    Some CPA networks are "selling" themselves as "advertising" and not affiliate networks. I am not sure if this is the case, but some unwitting companies could be purchasing the "advertising" and not advising the affiliate manager thinking it is not in conflict.

(not saying it's right, but saying I've been seeing the emails come through.)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

There is at least one well known merchant, with a forum here (managed by an OPM) who is listed as being SAS exclusive, they are also at GAN. I reported it last week, they are still listed as exclusive or at least bear the "Exclusive badge".
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

@loxly The ones I've come across recently aren't CPA networks. It's in-house, CJ, LS, GAN. I'd be a bit more 'forceful' if it were CPA networks.

@Trust Brian gets more communications from me than he probably wants at times. And I have to say that in all my years of doing this, Brian remains the most receptive, responsive, efficient and deliberative person I've worked with in addressing anything and everything I send his way. I know some days he's got to groan when he sees an email from me..wondering what now. It goes to his dedication in maintaining the integrity (in more than one way) of his network.

My post isn't directed at Brian or SAS, but is rather a 'friendly' reminder to SAS Exclusive merchants. Those who have strayed from that status or comtemplating such a move.

But yes, if I come across this kind of thing when looking at something else, I throw it in with everything else I'm sending him. It's usually a secondary thing to what I'm telling him though.

@melles A couple are here. There are some I wasn't particularly surprised by but a couple I was suprised by too.

Affiliates just need to be able to make their own informed decisions based on accurate information. All I'm saying.
    Last edited by Kellie aka Ms. B; March 22nd, 2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Realized I didn't answer Trust

ABW Ambassador
    nm
    Last edited by Trust; March 25th, 2010 at 03:36 PM.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    So what's happening. Anybody want to list the merchants. Are they still listed as Exclusive when they're not?
    Ok. I'll start with a real easy one.

Five days ago Emitations posted a paid add including
    Network: Shareasale since 2006

Inhouse: Yes
    Yet, they are shown as EXCLUSIVE ON SAS.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Do they have an inhouse program? Or do they mean inhouse affiliate manager. Their sign up link goes to SAS.

-edited out list-
    Last edited by Trust; March 25th, 2010 at 03:46 PM.

PsPrint - also at CJ

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Do they have an inhouse program? Or do they mean inhouse affiliate manager. Their sign up link goes to SAS.
    If that was their meaning they should have made it more clear.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    PsPrint - also at CJ

-rematt
    Yep and I found these after a quick look:

Canvas Press - also at CJ
    Cosmetic Mall - also at CJ
    Kimmy Shop - also at GAN
    PS Print - also at CJ and GAN
    Shopster - also at CJ

Those can go ahead and have the Exclusive tag removed.

Update: The ones I found have been updated on SAS.

Again, my point was not so much to "out" merchants but to have them maybe think a bit more about their SAS Exclusive status. Certainly they can operate on more than one platform, but they do need to be upfront with affiliates joining their program.

Being SAS Exclusive is more than just having a badge by your name.

Yes, just checked, "exclusive merchant" badge was removed for a few I knew about including the one I referred to above.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Affiliate Manager affiliateaholic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Ok. I'll start with a real easy one.

Five days ago Emitations posted a paid add including Yet, they are shown as EXCLUSIVE ON SAS.
    I don't think inhouse affiliate program goes in conflict with the EXCLUSIVE badge on a platform.

If a merchant is listed at more than one affiliate networks, it is not exclusive; if it is only listed on Shareasale while it still manages its inhouse program, it can be called EXCLUSIVE on shareasale.
    "[COLOR="Red"][I][B]Enthusiasm[/B][/I][/COLOR] is the greatest asset in the world. It beats money and power and influence. It is no more or less than faith in action."

[I][B]Henry Chester[/B][/I]

Perhaps SAS should provide an easy way for affiliates to report inaccuracies like this (and others, like when a program description doesn't match what is actually done or a significant limitation isn't disclosed)?

Quote Originally Posted by affiliateaholic View Post
    I don't think inhouse affiliate program goes in conflict with the EXCLUSIVE badge on a platform.
    I disagree. An affiliate program is an affiliate program whether it's at another network or in-house.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by affiliateaholic View Post

If a merchant is listed at more than one affiliate networks, it is not exclusive; if it is only listed on Shareasale while it still manages its inhouse program, it can be called EXCLUSIVE on shareasale.
    Exclusive to Shareasale means that it is exclusive to Shareasale, that makes sense, there really isn't any confusion as to what that means.

Therefore, they can't have an in-house affiliate program and still be exclusive to Shareasale.

Konasports.com is also at AvantLink. I doubt they are trying to confuse anyone and it's probably an oversight, but still not exclusive.
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Perhaps SAS should provide an easy way for affiliates to report inaccuracies
    That would be nice and show it in a report form where all could see until it is corrected.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    To me in-house and network exclusive merchant are two different things and needs to be clarified by SAS. Some merchants have a small in-house program that they will keep as it makes no sense to move to a network. If they do not advertise it or have it linked to their site but open a SAS program as the only network they are on is that exclusive? I have referred several such programs to SAS.

ABW Ambassador
    Chuck:
    I agree. A very special private program in-house should be OK

An in-house program, no matter how special or private still needs to be disclosed and the merchant shouldn't qualify for exclusive status. For all we know, the only members in that program are parasites. I understand that most merchants are above this type of tactic, but leaving the door open creates a situation where an unscrupulous merchant could take advantage.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

So has anyone noticed that ShareASale doesn't moderate their own forum anymore?

Excuse me, but I have consistently read for years that THE single biggest problem when a merchant has multiple programs is that sales get credited to more than one affiliate or to the wrong affiliate.

For this to happen, all it takes is a single affiliate in any in house program, no matter how special or private it may be.

Exclusive means exclusive. Not sort of exclusive.

More than one program is not a problem is you know what you are doing. But, I understand what you are saying that if a network promotes a merchant as exclusive then you should not have to worry about any other programs. That is the ShareASale intent!

In lead gen I had a guy try to sell me on semi-exclusive leads. I told him semi-exclusive is like semi-pregnant.

ABW Ambassador
    Exclusive really doesn't have more than one meaning, it isn't ambiguous, or open to interpretation.
    A merchant is either exclusive to Shareasale, or they are not. If they are, then how can they be in-house as well?

ABW Ambassador
    rematt, I agree disclosed is in order.
    "Merchants has an in-house program that is now closed to new members."
    "Merchant is totally parasite free"

AND
    Tracking more than one program is not a problem is you know what you are doing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast