Video Camera Recommendations?
    I know there is a million sites where I can go to get info on the specifications and read reviews of video cameras - but I just want some honest feedback from people I "know" and trust...

We're looking at getting a video camera in the next few weeks and I we're seriously considering the Flip UltraHD. We've got our first little one on the way (she'll be here any week now) and with family in both Germany and South Africa, I need a quick and easy way to get videos online.

Any thoughts / feedback would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

http and a telephoto
    We recently purchased the Sony HDR-XR100 and love it. In HD mode you can load directly to YouTube (after you download to your computer). It also allows you to grab frames as snapshots or take photos while it's recording video (pretty cool!).

It may be overkill, but hey I had a huge Betamax video camera when my kids were little and the videos are priceless.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The Flip might be best for what you're looking for, but let me tell you what we do (and why).

Years ago, we used to have a full size camcorder (and later a smaller one), but the way we used it (taking 30-60 minute videos), we never went back and watched anything.

About 5 years ago, we got our first digital camera that had decent video recording. We found that we were much more likely to have our digital camera with us (who wants to carry a camera AND a video camera?) and we were able to capture small videos (15 seconds to several minutes) that were MUCH more interesting and that we would actually watch, upload to Facebook, etc. As we've upgraded digital cameras over the years, the video gets better and better. Our current digital camera has 20x optical zoom and 640x480 video (essentially DVD quality).

The video recording on the iPhone 3GS is awesome, too. We ALWAYS have our iPhones with us, and you can quickly and easily upload to Facebook directly from the iPhone (with the free Facebook app). The quality isn't quite as good (and there's no optical zoom), but it's more than enough for Facebook.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by sunnypi View Post
    We're looking at getting a video camera in the next few weeks and I we're seriously considering the Flip UltraHD.
    I have the Flip UltraHD and I like it a lot. I am not a good techy person so I wanted something that wouldn't challenge me too much. The Flip is very easy. Tip - If you go that route, invest in a good tripod. Oh, and I bought a reconditioned one and saved about 50%. So far so good...
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

thanks all, I was really considering the Flip, but now I'm starting to think about getting the Kodak Zi8 only because we can change out the memory card and we're not limited to the 8GB of the flip. The one downside is that we'd have to get a high-speed memory card, but it does allow more flexibility.

Loxly, I took a look at your camera - looks awesome, but I think it's totally out of our price range at the moment.

Michael - we thought about just using our digital camera / iphone, but I would love something with a bit better quality video for the grandparents and other family that won't get the see the little one until she's much older. I guess with the size of both the video camera and our digital camera it's not as much of a pain to carry both in my bag (since my purse is a dumping ground for everything else when we travel anyway )

Leeann - I'll definitely consider a reconditioned one, I've never had any issues with reconditioned products I've bought. We'll go look at them tonight and hopefully find one that works, but it's good to know you like your flip.

thanks!

Micheal- That's really something I had never thought about before. We buy these chunky and expensive camcorders to tape things that we never really want to see again. (Children's musicals for example).
    Although, I do use my camcorder quite a bit for other stuff which a handy pocket sized camera wouldn't be appropriate for, mainly videos I produce for my church.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnypi View Post
    Michael - we thought about just using our digital camera / iphone, but I would love something with a bit better quality video for the grandparents and other family that won't get the see the little one until she's much older. I guess with the size of both the video camera and our digital camera it's not as much of a pain to carry both in my bag (since my purse is a dumping ground for everything else when we travel anyway )
    The quality is surprising good (better than the old VHS camcorders). How would the grandparents and other family be watching it? Facebook or Youtube? If you're on Facebook, I can send you links to some of the videos we've done with the digital camera and the iPhone.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I was really considering the Flip, but now I'm starting to think about getting the Kodak Zi8
    That is what I was going to suggest you look at. My friend has that and it actually has an audio in as well so the sound is a lot better. Don't be concerned about the high capicity card they are pretty cheap. I picked up a 4 gb at RadioShack for $20.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread