Yep a websites' worst nightmare... shut down for over exceeding their bandwidth. We were allocated 25 gb per month, we hit 26 gb by June 7. We had 2700 unique visitors for the month of June so far.

For 10 hours we were out of service,until we did our daily check and upgraded to 60 gb per month.

We were wondering how much in sales we lost during the 10 hours, but heck, we never had a sale and we started this affiliate marketing April 11 2004. So maybe we didn't loose too much. But you never know, that could have been our GOLDEN hour.
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

ABW Ambassador
    That was actually one of my goals when i first started, to have a bandwidth problem.

I remember one site I created ... "holiday related" I was paying godaddy about every other day for additional bandwith to keep me site up.

Best "day" for that site was over 25,000 visitors ... in one day!

Cheers,

ABW Ambassador
    When I realized that I was exceeding the 200 meg storage on one of my sites, I emailed the host in a panic, asking them to not shut me off and to please upgrade my account.

They emailed me back saying they were adding extra storage to all the accounts & I shouldn't worry about getting shut off anyway because they just don't operate that way.

This shouldn't be your worst nightmare. It just points out the difference between professionals & those who operate with the "server in a garage" mentality.

Wayne

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Let me get this right, you used 25 gig of bandwidth in 7 days and you think that you have enough bandwidth with only 60 gig for an entire 30days. My math says, you will run out of bandwidth at around the 17th.

The question is, why did you all of a sudden run out of bandwidth in 7 days? Is this a temporary thing? Is it b/c you files are too big and can be trimmed? Is it b/c someone is stealing your bandwidth? These are the questions you should be be concerned with.

Being out for 10 hrs one day is no big deal. ISP's claim their website is up 99.9% of the time. That means that 87 1/2 hrs a year your site will be down. Sad but true.

Only if one thing happens can an outage of 10 hrs cause serious sales ramification (well 2 if it happens when someone who wants to make a $3000+ sale was gonna visit your site at the moment. Pretty unlikely. If googlebot or Yahoo! (bot) just happened to be doing a major update of your site that that moment. If they do and find your site down, you could find your site pretty much unlisted in the visiting search engine for a while until the next major update.

Mike

Yeah I was wondering about that as well. For that many uniques, you should have plenty of bandwidth unless your files are huge or someone is stealing bandwidth. I have all kinds of problems with people linking to one of my celebrity sites via their own sites,emails, blogs, etc, that I had to get more bandwidth. My traffic is quite higher than what you mentioned, and yet my bandwidth on that site is around 30-40 GB a month.

The policy of our web server company is to notify us via email when we get close to the limit, well, we never got the email.

Our original package was a 1.2 gb storage (only used 5 to 600 mb ) We drop the commercials that get the least hits after 6 months.

We now have 2.4 gb storage so we can now do some showreels and music videos.

Anyhow if we go over the 60 gb download per month, we will get free unlimited as needed bandwidth if we post their banner on our website.

Duh! Its a no brainer to post their banner.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Yep a websites' worst nightmare... shut down for over exceeding their bandwidth. We were allocated 25 gb per month, we hit 26 gb by June 7. We had 2700 unique visitors for the month of June so far. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What in the world do you have on your site that eats up this bandwidth? If you've had 2700 unique vistiors this month and have gone through 25GB of bandwidth already, you have something on your site that is seriously sucking down the bandwidth. Look at it this way - each of your unique visitors is sucking down 10 MB of bandwidth on average. Something just doesn't seem right with that unless you run a download site or something.

By comparion, I average around 1GB of day in bandwidth on a VERY graphic and photographic site (2000 photographs on the site, all of them hosted by myself). I typically have around 3000 - 5000 unique vistiors PER DAY. Yet my bandwidth doesn't even come close to yours despite having much more traffic. I average around 25 GB per month on average.

Are you sure your stats are right, or that your host is reporting it right?? Something also seems a bit wrong if you are going through that kind of traffic/bandwidth without any sales, too. Also be sure to check your log files. How big are they?? My log files on aveage are around 50MB in size. If you are going throught the bandwidth your host says you are - your log files should be massively HUGE. Huge log files means huge bandwidth and visitation.

Guess what I'm saying is that your stats seem a bit strange.

ABW Ambassador
    2700 visitors in a week and no sales???
    I forgot what I was doing.

ABW Ambassador
    The bandwidth problem is because there are clips of commericials.

The no sales is because it's not a sales site and the merchants that are there are not targetted. People going there are looking to watch clips not spend money. Actually when i first saw the site i had no idea what is was about, not very clear when you get there.

How are you guys funded? I can't imagine buying that much bandwidth and having such a limited number of users, who from the looks of it, don't spend any money. WHo do you guys stay in business?

Please don't think I am critisizing you, I am not. I am just wondering how you do it...

Fred

Agree its not a sales site, and is not intended to be one. We are just interested on what is clicked. We analyze the clicks,whats hot and whats not. Why? Because we do commercials for HDTV that are clickable. Your watching HDTV, you see a Nike commercial, you see a Gold Icon during the commercial we want you click the icon with your remote and make the purchase of Nike products online in realtime during the program you are watching. So we are looking for who clicks what on each TV commercial page.

Whats sucking up the bandwidth is this up to June 7.
    Hits 39039
    Files 30266
    Pages 6542
    Visits 2800
    Unique Sites 2700
    Unique URLs 192
    Unique Referrers 342
    Unique User Agents 412
    Pages per day 934

Top 5

Hits 1720 adidasroadtolisbon.mov
    Hits 0368 evianwaterboy.mov
    Hits 0232 pumatwosideonegoal.mov
    Hits 0206 nikegame.mov
    Hits 0206 adidaskickingit.mov
    Hits 0177 nikehomegame.mov

Top 5 Search Strings

adidas road to lisbon
    adidas road to lisbon download
    road to lisbon adidas
    two sides one goal
    download road to lisbon

So what cha all think 10.1 mb viewing of Road to Lisbon is the culprit.

I buy 100 gigs bandwidth a month primarily for my IM, I can not see how in the world you are using up your Bandwidth with those stats?

Are you sure your not smoking something?

ABW Ambassador
    Ah...if you have movie clips, then it makes much more sense. Movie clips are a great way to chew through bandwidth in a hurry.

I think your host is full of crap. If they are allowing some strange rover to eat up your bandwidth it's not your problem it's theirs. I'd take a good hard look at my logs and add up the numbers. If it is not a benefit to you like googlebot and legit visitor traffic I'd tell them to block it and refund the bw to your account. I bet a lot of hosting companies do this just to get people to upgrade accounts. 2700 visitors is not that much traffic.

Naah those clips are gonna chew up the bandwidth alright

Sounds like you need to get some dedicated bandwidth!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Agree, currently (this date) we are getting hit every 3 minutes. We will ride the storm for a while before we go to dedicated. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    Naah those clips are gonna chew up the bandwidth alright

Sounds like you need to get some dedicated bandwidth! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread