Domains extensions and brand building
    I have a 7 y.o. established website registered with domain extension .com .
    In order to protect the brand I also registered other domain extensions -- .org, .net, .biz -- which are currently being parked.

Now I am planning to use the parked domains to build a few niche websites. I would like to use them to take advantage of their remarkable domain age -- 7 y.o.

These niche websites would cover topics not strictly related to my main site .com .
    As an example of what the relationship between the websites would be:

- main site (.com) is a large portal covering "Travel to a Destination X"
    - niches websites (.org, .net, .biz) would cover topics such like "Local Food Specialties in Destination X", "Craft Products in Destination X", "Shoes you need for Traveling to Destination X" , etc...

Could they (niches websites) be harmful to the brand of main site?

Thanks,
    Federico

Hi Federico,

If the content that you put into the .org, .net, and .biz sites are of high quality and not spammy, as well as have at least some relevance to the .com site, then it's okay, you do not have to worry about negatively affecting your main site.
    The way you have demonstrated the relationship of the websites, all of them would have something to do with a certain place, i.e., how to go there, what products can be bought, what food can be expected at the place, and what apparel to wear when going there. That's a pretty good relationship in as far as websites go.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

It could be beneficial to the brand. i would make sure not to use any duplicate content, so all content on each individual site is completely unique. Then you have the possibility to rank for 4 of the top 10 search results which would be spectacular. what i would also do is link to each site from each other site (like a old school web ring) but the best way to do that would be to put each domain on a separate c-class if your webhost allows it. i know that HostGator does allow it, I believe it is $35/month for 3 c-class. then since they appear to the search engines to be on different servers it passes more link-juice between the sites and helps your SEO

Domains says:
    ...Then you have the possibility to rank for 4 of the top 10 search results which would be spectacular...
    Please can you better explain it?
    (as the websites cover different topics I'm going to optimize them for different keywords)

Thanks

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but as there are millions of websites that all have .org, .net and .biz extentions that are technically owned by totally different people than the .com version of the sites -- google or anyone else isn't going to necessarily know you own all of them or have a relationship to each other unless you interlink them and use duplicate content (which I agree with Domains to stay away from).

I've never used c-class, but couldn't you technically accomplish the same thing by simply hosting your sites with different companies for a lot less?

As for ranking, I think Domain was assuming that you would be optimizing for the same types of keywords across all 4 domains which could technically get you to rank 1,2,3 and 4th places if each site were well optimized with unique content as domain age with original owner plays a big role in natural search ranking.

yes, pretty much what Bonnie said. though its probably quite optimistic to think you could rank all 4 sites on page one for the same keyword. but yeah in a nutshell what i mean is that if your brand is "desination x" and you have these 4 sites covering different niches, then you develop them all with unique content and you can hopefully get 4 times the amount of traffic coming to your sites. though you might not necessarily get them all to rank on page one for "desination x" (or whatever your brand name/domain name is) at least you get them all indexed in the search engine and at the least try to pull in traffic from a lot of long-tail search for 'destination x blah blah blah' and then you could cross link from each site to the other, so visitors interested in learning more about destination x can visit your other sites as well, all under the same brand

Quote Originally Posted by BlogBonnieBlog View Post
    I've never used c-class, but couldn't you technically accomplish the same thing by simply hosting your sites with different companies for a lot less?
    I was thinking the same thing. If you don't have a particular reason to keep the sites on one host, why not spread them around a bit?
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

yea, probably can do it cheaper. nice to have everything under one umbrella sometimes

Yes, that's also true. If the number of domains gets out of hand, it might be a lot to manage.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

I think it sounds a bit unconventional, but still a pretty good idea. If nothing else you can see how things work out, then write a book about how you did it!

Yeah seven year old web domains are good thing is the SERPS eyes ! I agree with affilorama, and I believe as long as it quality content you shouldn't have problem at all. I would interlock them and think this is a good idea. I would be interested to see how it comes out.
    [URL=http://www.the-best-web-hosting-service.com/]Best Web Hosting Service[/URL] [COLOR=Blue]- Quality Reviews![/COLOR]

here is the link to hostgators seo hosting i was speaking on. http://www.seohosting.com it is actually a bit cheaper than i thought

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread