Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is there anything a person can do if someone is bidding on my name "flamingoworld" in Overture?

I already emailed them and told them I didn't appreciate it and got a really snotty reply back.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Connie, is 'flamingoworld' trademarked? You might want to get yourself a lawyer either way.

In any case, you could complain long and loud to Overture and see if they back you up. I believe Adsense doesn't permit anyone but the holder of a name to bid on it. (I think I think.)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Connie this was something I noticed the PPCSE cookie stuffers doing with AdWords and Overture listings. Spoofing the Trademarks like OverStock and the displayed URL with blind cookie setting re-directs. Your popular gal ...you've been spoofed & Plished.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

it is not trademarked yet, but working on it.

Just makes me mad when people try to ride on other people's coat tails.

And the snotty response just really really pissed me off!

ABW Ambassador
    Who are they? I can go bid on their name for you

I work in lounge pants

Dinkwad ...

Connie: Situation stinks, especially since they're being snotty about it.

Still ... Dinkwad ...

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

all you have to do is do a search for flamingoworld on google and their ad shows up.

They acted like they have some kind of right or claim on my name...

As if this day isn't going crappy enough already..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>all you have to do is do a search for flamingoworld on google and their ad shows up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that an invitation to go there, click their ads and drain their budget?

This might be your solution...

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com
    2500+ products in a data feed. 20% commission. 5 years cookie expiration.

Sorry to hear about your trouble, Connie.

So just exactly WHAT is a "Dinkwad" anyway? I know someone that this term might apply to...just want to make sure before I throw it at 'em!

Seriously though, I've found a letter from an attorney works wonders. Also, make sure any further correspondence with them has a cc of legal @flamingoworld.com

Andy

Connie,

I'm sorry that this is happening!

You should consider getting your name trademarked.

Overture and Google have rules against bidding on trademark names if you are not the owner. It's not always easy to enforce these rules, but if you are persistent, you can get the other bidders removed.

I know this is no consolation, and I thought about whether to post it or not, but someone is bidding on your name because you built a strong brand. And, while this sux and is annoying, it's also a complement. (Although, I know it does not feel that way)

Our Search guru can talk to you about how to solve this problem or any merchant that you have a strong relationship will have someone that can help you out. Just choose one with a strong brand with an AM that you think will help you. Merchants face this issue all the time.

Good luck!

Beth

<html>
    <head>
    <FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Palatino Linotype">
    <font color=#006666>
    <center> www.audible.com | 9% to 20% commissions!<HR color="99CC99">coupons | seven direct data feeds | bonuses for top partners | parasite-free<HR color="99CC99"> Beth Kirsch | bkirsch [at] audible.com | 1.973.837.2742 | join now/program details</center>

</font>
    </head>
    </html>

I think I am hanging around Mike too much, He has his names for people and I have mine I guess.

I am working on the trademark thing..

Thanks for the tip on clicking on his link....having that kind of day that I didn't think of that myself..

Looks like he removed it.

Whoa, the "dinkwad" has a hideous looking site...I clicked on the link a few times from different computers...hehehe...

Not to make light of your situation, but it's cool that someone considers you important enough to use your name to promote their site. Anyway, the suggestion by Andy should scare some sense in to the "dinkwad."

"Dinkwad"

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Trademarking a name is not as easy as I had thought. I tried to do it myself, trademarking "Bovine Bazaar." So I filed out the forms and paid the money and waited the months.

What happened, I received a letter from the copyright lawyer who reviewed my request. It said, well bovine means cow and bazaar means shopping. The words are too ordinary and so we are going to deny you. After that you get mail from copyright lawyers saying, they can help you. I asked around and it seems the easiest way to get your "name" copyrighted is to make sure it is incorporated with a unique graphic and copyright them together. If you notice in my banner now, that the B is Bovine is a 'cow face' graphic.

Anyway, if you don't want to do it with a lawyer then don't forget the graphic. (Don't forget the graphic also must be original)

Mike
    Bovine Bazaar
    Cow gifts and collectibles

ABW Ambassador
    Connie - I went to check out Dinkwad's site, but it was removed (and perhaps I would have had to click the ad a few times while I was looking? ... Perhaps? )

Ojmoo - wow I can't believe you couldn't get a tm on Bovine Bazaar. They just gave someone a patent a while back for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> all you have to do is do a search for flamingoworld on google and their ad shows up.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes, it is gone now.

http and a telephoto
    Someone also has a TM on the word "CAUTION!", talk about ordinary. Has had many graphics removed from Cafe Press sites I recently found out. So Bovine Bazaar should have been a piece of cake.

Deborah
    http://loxlygallery.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Connie Berg:
    all you have to do is do a search for flamingoworld on google and their ad shows up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I guess enough people have clicked on it that they hit their daily budget. I'm not seeing it now.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I am just amazed everyday at how many new dinkwads, dickheads and dipsticks I run across in this business.
    I think I only know of about 5 ethical above board affiliates that I can really trust and have respect for. Everyone else just seems to be out to screw anyone they can.
    This just gets more depressing every day.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Hope I can be counted as one of those 5
    My ethics are what keep my agency open offline and a clear mind knowing I don't have to screw around someone for my own benefit here and off line
    Yes there are still some upfront people around

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Actually, Flamingoworld *is* trademarked. We just had this discussion on another thread... (if someone can find it) common law trademark if it In use, it is yours. You can go for the big banana ( or flamingo) but it is still yours legally.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Connie Berg:
    I think I am hanging around Mike too much, He has his names for people and I have mine I guess.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny, first person I thought of when I saw dinkwad was Mike. One of my goals this year is to make it through one of his posts without having to read it 2 or 3 times to figure out what he's saying.

Mike, I'll probably catch hell for this but I DO like reading your posts!

Found this definition on UrbanDictionary.com

DINKWAD: Double Income No Kids with a Dog

Used in a sentence: They travel all the time, they are dinkwads.

Animal Lover
    Thanks for the definition BradleyB - I was kinda scratching my head for a while...

Oscar

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Bradley... if my crystal ball was perfectly clear I'd just keep the information to myself, or sell it, showing a profit from each brain fart. Forcing folks to double read my posts and figure out what I was saying "via the proof read method" makes them have to put their thinking caps on. Besides I'm ABW's daily crossword puzzle....and "Master baiter".

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast