Connecticut Tax Bill -- CT Affiliates Take Action Now!
    Other states keep reading, you will want to hear this too. Connecticut Affiliates need to take action now, tonight, in the morning. As many of you that possibly can before 2pm Thursday 3/25. Today 6 of us CT affiliates joined a lobbyist and the PMA to shake hands and talk with legislators as they debate SB 5481 or as they like to call it the Amazon Tax Bill. The 6 of us felt like we made some legislators rethink this bill. The session was delayed until tomorrow and possibly will keep getting delayed so don't stop now, get involved.

In a state with over 2,800 affilates why are we just 6? You must and can still get involved. Just because you don't work with Amazon doesn't mean it won't impact you. The bill reads as...

"...whether by a link on an Internet web site or otherwise...retailer shall be presumed to be soliciting business through such independent contractor..."

That's your Advertiser and you the Publisher.

One senator told us that other states will do it too, so don't worry. I say if that takes 5 years for all states to do, many of us will be Fired, Terminated, Broke, lose our Jobs well before then. But I don't want to confuse messaging. The lesson today was to speak up and call your state rep, leave a voicemail, email them a letter. You can do this now.

PMA Connecticut Advertising Tax.
    http://www.performancemarketingassociation.com
    http://groups.google.com/group/pma-c...dget-committee

Send one email to your representative and senator.
    http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CGAFindLeg.asp

Read the bill.
    http://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/TOB/H/201...481-R00-HB.htm

The 6 affiliates that stepped up to the plate FOR YOU ALL today.
    Scott Jangro
    Kevin Mardorf
    John Napoletano
    Tom Caporaso
    Vincent Villano
    Jenifer

You are all marketers. Tell every CT affiliate you know to step up and voice their opposition to SB 5481 now. Other states learn from this and get involved. We are high tech JOBS. Don't let local retailer book store jobs be saved as they think it will, it wont, while you stand by and lose your high tech job.

Sorry if I annoyed anyone by posting updates on many of the old CT posts in the forum. My hope is that those subscribed to the old threads will get a notice that there is an update.

I'm moving onto other forums. If you know a good CT Affiliate forum or Blog please retweet, something like that :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNapoletano View Post
    Sorry if I annoyed anyone by posting updates on many of the old CT posts in the forum. My hope is that those subscribed to the old threads will get a notice that there is an update.

I'm moving onto other forums. If you know a good CT Affiliate forum or Blog please retweet, something like that :-)
    Nice!

The more, the better!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    Nice!

The more, the better!
    Glad you think so. I was worried about that.

If you know anyone with a email list that has CT Affiliates on it, please send out a special email tonight or early am asking them to send letters or contact the PMA to find out how to help. I'm trying to do what I can but it's not easy to do it alone.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNapoletano View Post

In a state with over 2,800 affilates why are we just 6? You must and can still get involved. Just because you don't work with Amazon doesn't mean it won't impact you. The bill reads as...
    I am wondering where you got those numbers 2800 affiliates for CT. If there is a way to find out the count, perhaps that would be the source to try to contact these affiliates.

Good luck tomorrow.

That number is an estimate from Linkshare. I was told that the networks wouldn't give me a list if I asked, privacy or other reasons. So anyone with a email list should email and let other know. No red tape that way.

hey john, it was nice to meet you today....as well as the others. i'm with you on this one. we definitely need the help of other CT affiliates to voice our opinion. if there's one thing i've learned is taking out the time to at least contact your local reps does work as they are willing to at least listen to us. i wrote my local senator and state rep and told them what would happen if the 'amazon tax' was passed in CT. they heard me out and has taken our side. in fact, my senator told me she is going to read my email i sent to her to the finance committee. she is firmly on our side.
    we still though need the assistance of other CT affiliates on getting the word out. please write or contact those who represent your district. tell them that if the law is passed about how it will negatively effect your income...as well as how it won't benefit the state of CT. basically, let them know they wont be able to collect sales tax from ct residents because they will just fire people like us.
    trust me on this, your local reps will hear you out. we need more ct affiliates getting the word out. there's still time for us to stop the bill.

Kevin

I received an anwser from my state senator yesterday (Sen. Andrew Maynard):

Thank you for your email regarding HB 5481.

I do not serve on the Finance, Revenue and Bonding Committee and have not yet seen the bill but I will inquire with staff and colleagues tomorrow.

I appreciate the impacts the bill could have on residents in your circumstances and will see what might be done to mitigate against any negative impacts.

Thank you for calling it to my attention and for your past support.

I have yet to receive a response for my state representative. A question that I have and that perhaps some have not thought about - how is this law, if enacted, will affect those affiliates using Google AdSense, Yahoo, etc. etc.?

Gil
    A. Gil de Lamadrid
    eCommerce Manager
    Consumers Interstate Corporation

Gil thanks for your efforts. I haven't heard anyone of authority talk about that yet.

If anyone has a compelling story to tell, feel free to email it to a few others on the committee as well -- would lose income, default on mortgage, car payment, lose your job in essence. We all saw Kevin's letter being passed around (cowboysfan) it really did help.

John

If this bill still in committee and do we have any idea of what the next steps will be?

I found this document (PDF) December 2008 - don't know if it would help us in anyway

http://www.streamlinedsalestax.org/u...eport_v3_0.pdf

Gil
    A. Gil de Lamadrid
    eCommerce Manager

I think the best thing to do for now is follow the PMA Performance Marketing Association which is supported by many of the major affiliate networks.
    http://www.performancemarketingassociation.com/

Also when your affiliate network posts a CT Affiliate Alert we all need to start paying closer attention and help out in any way we can.

There's talk about getting states to agree on a nationwide strategy (rates, categories, etc) as a work around vs federal action. I think Amazon is pushing that idea as well. If you think about it businesses are selling nationwide now more than ever, not just within their home state.

KISS keep it simple stupid like a 5% sales tax internet and otherwise for retail would help everyone. One simple calculation at checkout. Cigarettes might be an exception. But that's just my opinion.

Just know that there may be others doing something and not just those publicly. Some prefer to stay private but do send emails, letters etc. At least I hope this is the case in CT.
    I remember feeling very alone last year when the issue came up in MN. I have now found about 4 others here in MN, and am wondering where the other few thousand were/are.

Kudos to any networks getting the word out, they are the key. Many affiliates don't visit forums, attend events etc and might not know the issue exists until they start getting dropped by merchants. The networks have access to the info state by state and the means to contact those affiliates to make them aware of the issue.

...Some prefer to stay private but do send emails, letters etc...

We really need to at least send letters and emails. Every state not just CT. Calls and face to face are even better.

Just remember that the book store lobby group was there doing the same thing we were. Sending the same emails and letters that we are. Imagine if we didn't show up and they did. It's team against team and that unfortunately is how government works these days.

This is about your job vs theirs. Are you going to stay quiet about that? We are Internet Marketing Pros, we know how to get things done online better than that other team does.

I'm as private as anyone else and hate to go public about anything. But I can't stand by and let someone limit my job scope without fighting for it. Especially to save local book stores that simply can't compete against online retailers -- ship it to my house please. Times change and so do businesses. All the wrong reasons being used to pass this bill.

I forgot to add that Scott Jangro did a nice post on his site that might help motivate a few more people.
    http://affbook.com/my-day-at-the-con...t-state-house/

Affiliate Advocacy is the other main group that has been working on the tax issue since 2008. It also has support from our industry and has been supporting affiliates from every state.

It is important for everyone to use a variety of sources for their information and for assistance.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

ABW Ambassador
    "Kudos to any networks getting the word out, they are the key."

How is that being done? Are you guys in the affected states getting emails from them?

Logging into the networks, I don't see anything.

CJ, nothing.

GAN, nothing.

Linkshare, nothing.

SAS, nothing lately. Link on home page goes to some blog post from last year.

So email?

http://blog.linkshare.com/2010/03/11...rnet-tax-page/

Also I have gotten notice when it affected my state from network reps.

I have also seen it in network newsletters/emails.

Here is a page I found at Linkshare. It provides states that have passed the law, the ones that have defeated the law and the ones with no recent acticity..

http://www.linkshare.com/internet_tax/

I suppose Nevada is starting to look really good by now. My lease is up in September so I will seriously consider moving...

Gil
    A. Gil de Lamadrid
    eCommerce Manager

It is understanding is that the bill will go to the full senate for approval, sometime in April or May. Even though the PMA Performance Marketing Association which is advising us on what to do is great, I firmly believe that it is up to us affiliates in the State of Connecticut, to write letters to all members of the state senate. I read somewhere that there are roughly 2,600 affiliates (from various programs) in Connecticut. If we were to write that many letters to every singler senator in Connecticut we could make a dent. Don'd misunderstand me, face to face meeting are great, but a letter writing campaign should also be done. Not only by a few affiliates (it could give the impression that not too many people are affected) but by the entire affiliate population in the state.

Coments?

Gil
    A. Gil de Lamadrid
    eCommerce Manager

I agree, Gil. we need to get all CT affiliates at least writing. it's what we need right now.

Amazon writes to the Revenue & Finance committee

Read the article here

Gil
    A. Gil de Lamadrid
    eCommerce Manager

I urge everyone to keep an eye on the PMA website, sign up on their website to register your support to fight the legislation, and they will surely notify you when your state is affected. I know i have gotten word from them before anyone else even had hint that something was going on in my state. They don't just focus on getting the word out either, they have people behind the scenes actually taking proactive steps and taking action. They talk the talk and walk the walk. They are the only group that ever gave me any guidance and actual help.

There goes Net Neutrality!! We are getting a double-wammy. Taxes and now this!

Gil
    A. Gil de Lamadrid
    eCommerce Manager

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread