Wireless Router Recomendations
    OK. I can't take how slow my internet seems to be. I believe I have a Linksys maybe generation A router? Its old. On black Friday, I bought a Belkin N router at Walmart. Was a pretty good deal I think at $40? But then I looked at the reviews, and they weren't all that great so I took it back. So I thought I would see if anyone had any recommendations on a good router that won't cost alot of $$? I was looking to spend between $50-$70.

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Hows your range and signal? Are you close to the router? If you have a lot of wifi traffic in your area that can really slow things down.

Might save you some money, but I just bought a better antenna for my computer and that really helped things out.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

The computer is a brand new sony Vaio and I'm only 5-10 feet away from the router. But it is next to the 55" plasma. Could that affect it?

The plasma shouldn't effect it. I would first try to do a direct connection from router to pc and run a speed test (or just surf online and see if you notice any differences).

Also, If your router is open (no password) I would set one. You never know who is lurking around stealing your bandwidth speeds. FYI go with at least WPA, WPE is a joke. You can login to your router and see who is connected.

In most cases with me, its not the router but something else that is slowing my speed down.

but here is a pretty good router for $24.99 from mwave shipped (refurb though. New is like $50+)

LINKSYS WRT54GS-RM IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster

Mwave Part# AA97201 (Just visit mwave and search using the product # to the left)
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Forgot to mention, if you go with the router from mwave, they have an affiliate program through Google Affiliate Network. So you can earn a little commission

mwave has a program on SAS too, easier to work with.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I prefer Linksys because of he quality and they are part of Cisco who invented the Internet (not Al Gore). I am looking at upgrading my Linksys router to a wireless so the kids can use their iTouch in the basement since they snip the neighbors wifi in the dining room. Plan to go with the G band rather than the N due to my inbound service limitation.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I purchased the Netgear WGR614 Wireless-G Router for about $40 and have been very pleased with the signal strength and range.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    If you are getting a Linksys, look out for their rebates. Search around as they often have rebates.

You can always get it cheaper at buy.com / newegg/ amazon and all of they have affiliate programs.

Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmWilliam View Post
    I would first try to do a direct connection from router to pc and run a speed test (or just surf online and see if you notice any differences).
    I've managed to break all my cords. The plug doesn't stay in anymore as the little clips have broken off both ends on a few cords! And now my wife is getting frustrated when she has to download large files for work. How did we survive with AOL? *Files Done*

My network is open as I've been a little lazy to secure it. I'll have to give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Plan to go with the G band rather than the N due to my inbound service limitation.
    Chuck could you give some details on what you mean by your inbound limitations? Just wondering if I have the same thing before I spend extra on an N rather than G

So after looking around my setup on my Linksys router trying to find how I add a password, I decided to google my router 'linksys befw11s4 v.2'. Turns out, from a post I read on the Linksys forum, that WAP support to BEFW11S4 V2 firmware doesn't exist. Given this, I'm guessing its time to upgrade?

ParadigmWilliam wanted to thank you. I enabled whatever security my router has and my speed seems to be 100X faster. Before my FTP connection kept timing out, downloads were slow, but now I'm back to pretty fast. Thanks for the tip!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread