It's apparent that CJ's reports mean nothing. I've seen transactions that were "Accepted" change and become "Corrected," which resulted in a "Reversal."

I've also seen transactions that were "Locked" reversed as well. My payment total, which had been "Approved" has also changed.

I propose the following new terms for CJ reports:

MAYBE-A transaction has probably occured.

PERHAPS-This might be a good one!

PROBABLY-Ooh, ooh, looks like it's gonna take!

PRETTY SURE-We think you might get some money out of this one!

OK-If something else doesn't happen before you get the money in your account, it's yours!

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    But is it any less ridiculous than what we're getting? I mean, a merchant should not be able to go back in and reverse an "Approved" transaction! If it's approved, that's it. If there's a question, they shouldn't have approved it!

And if a transaction shows "Locked," that's it! There shouldn't be any changes from that point on. Locked is locked.

Nothing balances anymore, you can't see how product links are performing, and the reports don't really mean anything. Everything is subject to change for an unspecified time, and that's one of the main reasons there is fraud, or the perception of fraud.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

ABW Ambassador
    The only good thing about the new format is that the reversals stuff is displayed on the day it happens...

Other than that - the mechanisms of how the reversals function, the accepted, locked etc...They [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] they make me wonder

Still to get in terms with the reporting mechanisms...

So keep wondering [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Regards
    Amit

It's about time I release version 1.0
    (Coming soon)

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    A CJ rep has been on the boards since this all came up and responded to another inquiry (regarding the transaction reports), but this issue was not addressed. CJ needs to come here and do some explaining! And not the finger pointing back and forth between CJ and ebay.

I remember trying to get a grasp on CJ's new reporting system when Todd was explaining it right after the upgrade. I also remember feeling the onset of a headache coming on. But it would appear they were able to fix that bug a merchant reported regarding the inability to "reverse" an "accepted" transaction, and even extended the functionality to include locked transactions.

Maybe CJ needs to first start by rethinking the naming of the different stages to better reflect and make obvious what all the different stages of a transaction are. It seems that "tracked" would be more reflective than "accepted." Because it seems that all this really means is that CJ has captured a transaction through their systems.

What I find most disturbing is "locked" transactions being reversed for people. In some cases, it would appear that some of these are transactions that people have already received payment on! CJ is taking that money back out of the affiliate's pool of earnings that at this point which are totally unrelated to the actual "duplicate" transactions. And in instances where payment for these duplicates were already received, this could mean that the money is being deducted from earnings of a merchant who is not even related to this mess. Now in any other business dealings this is not even legal. Shoot is my employer overpays me, they can't just deduct the overpayment out of my wages earned on the next pay period, it's not legal. They have to approach me directly and try to get the money back. Even the IRS can't do that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

CJ continues to have a huge PR problem with their affiliates, and things like this don't help a darn bit. CJ needs to get in here and address this issue upfront and honestly.

CJ fails as a third party network if the reporting of transactions are not understandable and transparent. If all these reversals were indeed due to some programming snafu, then the duplicates should still be easily traceable by the affiliate. It would seem however that many affiliates are having a hard time doing this. Afterall, ebay had to be able to tie the duplicates to one another since they knew which transactions were duplicates.

The money flow through CJ needs to be transparent and have a reasonable means for affiliates to track through their individual accounts. Even just the appearance of strange things going on with the cash flow is not a good thing at all. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

I propose some additional transaction terms:

FALLEN TREE: You may think there's been a transaction, but if nobody witnessed it, how can you be sure? Better we reverse it to avoid any existential angst.

CARROT: We're sitting on this one for a while to make you feel good about promoting our program, but we'll reverse just before we actually have to fork over the cash.

FIDO: Regrettably we had to reverse this one because our dog ate it.

CLINTON: Though we acknowledge that some kind of transaction took place, we deny that there was an actual exchange of credit card data.

VEGAS: We're trying to fix the arm on our spin-the-wheel, random transaction approval generator. Check back in a few days.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    ROTFLM*O

Too funny! I would have to say that if CJ ever did start using these suggestions, my life would be a little more enjoyable. Sometimes, all you can do is laugh, lolololololol *whimper* lolololol...

"No day is so bad, it can't be fixed with a nap." - Carrie Snow

quote:
    Originally posted by BLFH:
    ...it would appear they were able to fix that bug a merchant reported regarding the inability to "reverse" an "accepted" transaction, and even extended the functionality to include locked transactions.

quote:
    From the CJ Help/Glossary:
    Show Transactions With Status: You may choose one of the following status designations to display in the report: All, New, Accepted, Extended, or Locked. The New, Accepted and Extended transactions are controlled by the advertiser; locked transactions are controlled by Commission Junction. Once a transaction is locked, its commissions will be processed in the next publisher payment period.

I always thought that the transaction was locked after the advertiser exhausted all their means of cancelling, delaying or refusing/reversing payment. You seem to be saying that they're now allowing (internally, with the publisher out of the loop) the advertiser to "appeal" previously locked transactions substantially after that lock was placed. So, essentially then, are you saying that a publisher can never be sure if any payment is real for an indeterminate time, perhaps forever?

ABW Ambassador
    Deactivated Merchants ???

makingmoneyfromhome,net went on the deactivation list 10-29-02.

I took down their link promptly after this.

December came along (now), and on 12-12-02 I find *50* reversals for this merchant.

50 x $1.80 = $90.00

Correction Reason: Other

So, when a merchant goes on the deactivated list...hold your head.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If this is all true then 780 deactivated merchants will rise up from the deadpool and swear on a stack of bibles they never sold or delivered a damn thing...give me my commission payments back.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

I saw the Backend for Merchants on CJ.
    They can not reverse or adjust "Locked" Transactions. CJ has to do it.
    That means CJ has the hands in it, when a locked sale gets reversed, its not just the merchant.
    Very odd.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

ABW Ambassador
    New source of funding for failed dotcoms... reverese the last 4 years worth of CJ transactions..

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I searched CJ's help feature and i couldn't find any definitions of these terms. Half of my sales today are 'new' the other half 'accepted' - these terms mean nothing to me.

Having 'accepted' and 'locked' show up for a reversed trxn is just stupid.

Dont expect an honest answer from CJ about this.

Be prepared for some more rudeness and one excuse after another.

Its sure to be a happy holiday for CJ, what about YOU?

Here is what a 'merchant' has the ability to do:

When a transaction enters the system it is marked as "New" and can be "corrected" until the 10th of the next month.

Here's the tricky part. A merchant can "Accept" a transaction or all transactions by clicking a button. A merchant can also "Extend" one or all transactions for the next month. Once a transaction is marked "Accepted" it cannot be corrected by the merchant. I assume CJ does have the ability since it is not "Locked". Transactions that weren't "Extended" are "Accepted" and "Locked" on the 11th of every month. So what's the "Accepted" deal? Beats me. I spoke to Todd about this and this could be one of the changes happening later today.

Once a transaction is "Locked" it cannot be reversed either by a merchant or CJ as far as I know for the simple reason that payments are based on those transactions.

Can CJ reverse "Locked" transactions? I would venture to say YES and probably because a high-profile merchant such as eBay sends it batch correction files. Merchants cannot directly reverse "Locked" transactions.

I hope that clears things up a little.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com

ABW Ambassador
    going off topic, i'd like to congratulate EA.com for they have been a great merchant to worh with...

I've never had any complaints while working with EssentialApparel and IMO they are one of the true and honest merchants CJ has to offer...

Great Work - and Good Luck to the EssentialApparel.com team

Regards
    Amit

(Coming soon)

quote:
    Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

Not really, especially the "perhaps" and "maybe" terms.

-------------------------------------------------
    Webmaster Resources | Web Hosting Solutions

EA has an affiliate program?

EssentialApparel,

What happens, when an "Accepted" transaction ends up as customer returns the merchandise?

Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    Going off topic, i'd like to congratulate EA.com for they have been a great merchant to worh with...

I've never had any complaints while working with EssentialApparel and IMO they are one of the true and honest merchants CJ has to offer...

Great Work - and Good Luck to the EssentialApparel.com team

Regards
    Amit

(Coming soon)

Amit,

Thanks for the kind words! We've had a blockbuster holiday season thanks to partners like you! It's great to have you as a partner.

-------------

SamBay,

Once a transaction is "Accepted" it's considered "Locked" in terms of making corrections such as a reversal. Again, I really don't know why CJ has the Accepted status as merchants won't accept any transactions anymore since doing so makes them incorrectable. CJ "Locks" all transactions on the 11th so "Accepted" is not necessary.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com

EA,

So, we may get commissions on products that may have been returned?

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread