why do affilaite networks not return calls or emails?
    i'm not sure whetehr this is the place to ask this questions. if it's not maybe one of the mods can move it. i am a media buyer at a well known u.s. based website. we advertise on affiliate networks (like hydra, neverblue, etc.) to drive traffic and get people to subscribe to our website. we are heavy into prospecting for new affiliate networks to work with and have gleened a long list of networks from sources like offers202, dm confidential, etc.

what baffles me is how many of these networks never return messages. i would say maybe 50% to 75% of the networks we phone or email never call or write back. we follow up 2 or 3 times in a week and hear nothing.

i would like to hear from affiliate networks here, why does this happen? why would a affiliate network choose to not return an advertiser's calls or emails? i ask our own sales force about this and they say they would never not return a call from a well known advertiser. why do affiliate networks decide to do this?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Doubt that anyone will answer as network reps don't speak much here. Try to go to each of their individual forums and contact them via their profile.

thanks for the answer. im not sayign it's any one rep or network, its a lot of them, so many of them. sometimes i send insertion orders, and then the rep goes scarce, with the insertion order in hand! and the campaign never runs! i just don't understand that! it makes no sense.

i just wanted to get anybody's insight, whether they're a rep or a merchant or a buyer or an affiliate, as to why they think (or know) that is the case.

I have not encountered that kind of problem. I guess it depends on which networks. I have had good experience with the ones I work with.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

ShareaSale is wonderful. They respond right away. I mean, how many companies as big as SAS can you email the CEO and he gets right back to you?

Quote Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
    why would a affiliate network choose to not return an advertiser's calls or emails? i ask our own sales force about this and they say they would never not return a call from a well known advertiser. why do affiliate networks decide to do this?
    Assume that they don't care about your business, be thankful you found out so early in the game and move on. If they're so nonchalant when there's money to be made, just imagine how responsive they'll be when you have a problem or issue.

When you find the organization that makes you feel like you are important to them, you will have arrived.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    Assume that they don't care about your business, be thankful you found out so early in the game and move on. If they're so nonchalant when there's money to be made, just imagine how responsive they'll be when you have a problem or issue.

When you find the organization that makes you feel like you are important to them, you will have arrived.

-rematt
    I've got to "second" that. rematt hit the nail on the head - they either care about your business or they do not.

BTW, Jill and I have ALWAYS had timely email responses and returned phone calls from the folks at ShareASale and Buy.at.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

i appreciate all the great feedback and insight. thank you so much!

i would like to clarify that i am talking about companies which are fundamentally different from shareasale and buy.at (as well as linkshare and cj), which are affiliate program providers. for a fee these companies will put merchants and affiliates in direct contact with one another, so they basically serve as a 'matchmaker' as well as providing an infranstructure to manage the relationship.

the companies i am talking about are basically ad networks, like neverblue and hydra and epic and tmp and intermark and the like. they use the language of affiliate providers like 'merchant' and 'affiliate' but they act as a wall between the advertiser and affiliates, in fact they dont even reveal the identity of affiliates to the merchant in order to protect their cut. these are the companies we are having trouble even getting a response from.

i assume the reasons are similar but i was wondering whetehr people had insights into these specific companies or affiliate ad networks like them?

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
    which are affiliate program providers. for a fee these companies will put merchants and affiliates in direct contact with one another, so they basically serve as a 'matchmaker' as well as providing an infranstructure to manage the relationship.
    I think that you found the answer to your question.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    I think that you found the answer to your question.
    im sorry i dont follow you on this?

This could be true for networks that're either scam or follow poor customer relationship ethics. I have been working with spam link for almost 2.5+ years now, but didn't encounter any similar situation.

I also believe that networks that're close to "shutting" down, spend less time catering to customer/client needs.

Regards,
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; April 9th, 2010 at 04:02 PM.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    AndyRob, link drops will get you banned especially when you work for the company that doesn't pay to advertise here.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread