Would cash back program help mitigate merchants' cheating?
    I am considering offering cash back to users even though not all merchants support this kind of incentive plan. But I think this may help merchants be honest because my users will tell me if they made the purchase but did not get cash back.

What do you think?

You have to give them the cash back - not the merchant.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Moderator Note: Moved to the Ethical Loyalty Site forum.

Absolutely. I talk to many cash back affiliates, and they have a very good handle on which merchants track well and which ones have tracking issues.

Also, I wouldn't assume that merchants are skimming or cheating in other ways. Some do, but it's very rare. Far more often, orders don't get tracked because of technical issues, undisclosed restrictions on what they pay commissions on, parasites, cookie stuffing affiliates, etc.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I know my site gives commission/cash back to users once I get paid by merchants. But overall it should help me understand if the merchants are cheating. If it is technical issue on merchant's end, what would those cashback sites such as fatwallet respond to their users?

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Most cash back sites policy is "you get paid when I get paid". But offering cash back won't make merchants more trustworthy. There are to many factors that come in play that could be caused to blame.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmWilliam View Post
    But offering cash back won't make merchants more trustworthy.
    It won't make merchants more trustworthy (or tracking more accurate), but it will make the tracking problems more obvious. Affiliates normally fly blind. We have nothing to go on except what is reported. Loyalty affiliates (and in particular cash back sites) have extra visibility because customers will usually report if their "cash back" doesn't show up.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread