Aching All Over - Think I Need A New Chair!
    Have been writing article after article this week and my back and left shoulder are really starting to hurt.

I think my chair has had it's time and I need to start looking for a new one - any suggestions?

If you want to stay in the realm of reasonable, take a look at
    P osturepedic's office chairs, they adjust every which way you can imagine. I got mine at OfficeMax but they can be found at other places too.

Buy yourself a nifty little netbook. Then kick back in your favorite recliner and work away.

Seriously, I have a lot of shoulder pain (in my case, the right shoulder), so I really need to find more suitable seating arrangements myself.

I actually mention the netbook because I just started using one of those little gems. I am amazed at how well it works for me in terms of portability. And I am pleasantly surprised at how well my stubby fingers handle the 3/4 size keyboard and my Old Guy eyes have no problems with the smaller screen display.

But that's probably not directly related to your chair/seating issues. Sorry for the distraction.
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.massagechairs.com/Osaki-O...age-Chair.html

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EP30.../dp/B0029NYCB4

Why not, maybe not that much but why not a massage chair instead of the ole office chair?

Ooh, it looks wonderful...would probably fall asleep in it..mind you, that would solve the insomnia problem

ContentQueen, I had a similar problem with my neck and lower back tightening up on weeks that I spent a lot of time writing. I started doing some light yoga(that I found on YouTube) several times a day. I break every two(ish) hours and spend less than 5 minutes on the exercises. All/most of my pain is gone.

writerguy, I too recently purchased a netbook with intentions of keeping my office extra mobile during the short warm weather season here in Wisconsin. It is amazingly easy for my large hands to type on the mini-keyboard too. However, yesterday I took a seat in my big leather recliner with my netbook and added my Microsoft 4000 ergonomic keyboard to the mix. It was surprisingly efficient. Now all I need is one of those beverage dispenser hats.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    What type of chair do you have now?

I have a basic office chair on rollers from Office Max. Something sort of like this: http://www.officemax.com/office-furn...oduct-ARS27282 It has lumbar support and arm rests. It has worked well for me. Still, too much time in it can be problematic.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Thanks Cheesehead

That's a reasonable price for such a good chair. The chair I have is very basic and the back support has gone so now I'm resolved to using a cushion for lumbar support. I really should have changed it some time ago but it really wasn't until I began writing much more recently that it really became an issue.

I can sit on the lounge with my laptop for a change but I find that I am less productive if I'm not at my desk, so I tend to save that option for posting here and on blogs.

Good to hear what works for others, rather than just rushing out and buying on spec.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Are you left handed by chance? I can get right shoulder pain and neck pain - I am right handed.

You might want to experiment with different heights for your monitor and keboard/mouse. My mouse and keyboard are virtually at the same height as my chair arm rest so my forearm rests while I use the mouse. My laptop sits up about 6" from that. It is a large screen laptop (17"). If your screen is so high that you must tilt your head up, some pretty bad neck and shoulder pain can set in. Also, eye strain can result in neck and shoulder pain - the cntrl key and your mouse scroll wheel can make text bigger - this has saved me a lot of eye strain related headaches and pain. The key is to find what works best for you.

The chair I referred to was not exactly what I have but it was very similar. And I paid about the same price as the one shown - less than $100. Two key features are the lumbar supports and ability to adjust heights and position.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread