OT: Old gas in my old, classic Mustang - what's the best way to drain old gas?
    Off-Topic / General-Topic post:

I have an '87 Mustang 5.0 convertible V8 that I'm going to list for sale on Craigslist, Kijiji and Backpage. It hasn't been started nor has it ran since 2006. That means the gas in the gas tank is super old so I need to drain the tank so I don't ruin the engine. Question: can I use an old-fashioned siphon hose to perform the drain job or do I need to have a professional mechanic put the car on a lift and drop the gas tank? Dropping the gas tank would be problematic as my budget is limited and I don't have easy access to a cheap tow truck. So can I use a siphon kit to get the job done and do it myself in my driveway?

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Since when is an 87 "old" and "classic"?

Maybe it is getting there but pre 73 is old and classic in Mustangs.

This has an intank fuel pump and is high pressure if I remember correctly. It is not as easy as a standard carb car.

You should search online or go to the library and read a book on how to do this.

O wait I may have found something. http://allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-...fuel-pump.html

It is not easy. Sounds like it may be over your expertise. You could just sell it as is or ask or pay someone to do it.

You could just try the garden hose syphon trick and enjoy your mouthful of gasoline like a man. Or I think some shops sell gas hand cranks. Maybe 4 X 4 Shops. or motorcycle places.

Get the gasoline level down as much as you can and then add 3 or 4 gallons from a can or two. Maybe add some gas stabilizer if you feel nice.

Then drive it around slowly for a while and then maybe add 5 gallons at the station.

look in a couple of car accessory places -- they make a siphon that has a valve on the end with a gravity pump to start the process. You bump the pump end hard down in the gas to start it. Of course, it might not work if the car has an anti-siphon filler.

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond View Post
    Since when is an 87 "old" and "classic"?
    Vehicles only have to be 20 years old to be considered a classic and 45 years to be an Antique.

Semi, I believe the 87 Mustang fuel tank has a drain plug (drain cock as it's commonly called) so it should be quite easy to do yourself.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diostebendiga View Post
    Vehicles only have to be 20 years old to be considered a classic and 45 years to be an Antique.
    A lot more than age goes into being able to call a car a "Classic".

I have an 1992 Explorer that I use for little more than storage. That will NOT be a classic in two years, nor is the 30 year-old-GMC pick-up my neighbor down the block has collecting cobwebs.

The Classic Car Club of America definition includes:

A Classic is a fine or distinctive automobile produced between 1946 and 1985.

Generally, a Classic was high-priced when new and was built in limited quantities.

Other factors including engine displacement, custom coachwork and luxury accessories help determine whether a car is considered to be a Classic
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    A lot more than age goes into being able to call a car a "Classic".
    True and some vehicles can be labeled a "modern classic" in as little as 15 years.

I have an 1992 Explorer that I use for little more than storage. That will NOT be a classic in two years, nor is the 30 year-old-GMC pick-up my neighbor down the block has collecting cobwebs.
    I have 88 K1500 that certainly isn't a classic but it sure IS old. LOL

The Classic Car Club of America definition includes:

A Classic is a fine or distinctive automobile produced between 1946 and 1985.

Generally, a Classic was high-priced when new and was built in limited quantities.

Other factors including engine displacement, custom coachwork and luxury accessories help determine whether a car is considered to be a Classic
    They do while The Antique Automobile Club of America defines a classic as 20-45 years old and 45+ as an antique.

A couple things come to mind right away:

If there isn't much gas in the tank, then they could fill it, diluting the bad gas that's in there with good stuff. Bad gas doesn't hurt an engine, it just won't run on it. I'd also put in some gas treatment and fuel injector cleaner if they decide to do that. This is the simplest way to do it, and only costs a tank of gas.

To drain the tank, if they can snake a siphon down through the gas fill, that would work....but I think in the 80s they started putting in anti-siphon baffles in the gas fill so it might be difficult.

Another way to get rid of the gas would be to disconnect the fuel line, either under the hood or at the tank, and then run the electric fuel pump [which I believe is in the tank] to drain it that way.
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

I've been down this road before and, when it comes to old Mustangs, I'm talking 1965, 1966, 1967. Owned 'em all. Hardtop. Ragtop. Fastback.

Okay, now that the trip down memory lane is over just what makes you so sure you have to go down the "drain it" path?

I've started up cars that sat for YEARS. So long as there's no evidence of tampering or water infiltration I'd go no futher than throwing in a couple of cans of "gas treatment" (injector cleaner, etc.) with a 2+ gallon fresh gas "chaser". Bounce the car around a bit by pressing on the shocks/struts/springs . . . and fire it up.

Once you get it running get it fully gassed up ASAP.

There's generally 1 or 2 filters that are meant to capture physical crud (dirt, flakes) that do their job well.

I know, gas is supposed to be this unstable thing . . but it's mostly unstable (in my experience) when you are throwing lit matches at it in the open air.

YMMV, but I suspect you will create more problems by trying to "fix" this (usually, VERY usually) non-problem then by just firing up the engine.

Ruin an engine? Never ever heard of that happening from "bad gas".

Now, no oil . . or dropping a valve into a cylinder block . . . that's a different matter.
    I'll get the hang of it eventually. :0)

P.S. If you really are paranoid about "bad stuff in the tank ruining the engine" the siphon kit probably isn't the solution unless you plan to suck the tank dry . . [colorful pictures, but please let's keep it family friendly.]

P.S. NEVER suck on the siphon tube coming from a gas tank unless you want your day, your throat and lungs, brain, etc. to end badly.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; March 30th, 2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Removed off-color remark.
    I'll get the hang of it eventually. :0)

If that is "an old, classic" car, then what is my daily driver?
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

Sweet!
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

I like the yellow car. Pretty clean. What year is it?

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread