Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    advice regarding new idea
    hi guys

I'm looking into starting an info web site regarding the fifa world cup which starts in june 2010 ! That only gives me 2-3 months to get it up and running and monitized. I'm new to the game so my question is am i to late for this idea as i'm a one man band still learning the basics. I have launched a simple affiliate website before but this idea would be a far bigger project so any advice is gratefully appreciated.

How long does a site take to get to the first page of google ect if seo/promotion is done properly?

Many thanks guys

to all our success

tout67

I'd recommend shooting for the 2011 fifa world cup and start working now.

The SEO for the "first page" is relative to the search term. How hard would it be to get the first page for "pepper crusted blue size ten aluminum widget" vs "beach front real estate". Be sure to spend lots of time doing keyword research and avoid chasing trophy keywords.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    I'd recommend shooting for the 2011 fifa world cup and start working now.
    Uh,,,, it's every four years. The next one is in 2014.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

thanks for the reply
    unfortunitly the fifa world cup is once every 4 years

I understand the keyword thing to get ranked just wondered if it takes weeks/months to get any keyword/page ranked with google or is it instant

cheers

Sorry for my nooblet lack of knowledge on the fifa world cup, I'm not allowed out of my cage very often

Organic search visibility can be achieved in a couple of days by getting some links to your site from other trusted/well established sites. Also, be sure to Digg, Twitter, ect some of your quality pages.

I'd also highly recommend signing up for Google Webmaster Tools, verify your site and submit your sitemap.

Good luck.

My suggestion would be to just do it.

The longer you wait, the longer it takes. And like Caleb said, it may only take a few days for Google to index your site. Worst case scenario would be that it may take a couple of weeks for your pages to settle into the index.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    Football is massive, a global sport, by far the biggest and most popular sport in the world.

Many sites are already dedicated to the FIFA World Cup of 2010.

Try something different.

a site can get to the front page of google fairly quickly as long as it gets hit with heavy traffic

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    My suggestion would be to just do it.

The longer you wait, the longer it takes. And like Caleb said, it may only take a few days for Google to index your site. Worst case scenario would be that it may take a couple of weeks for your pages to settle into the index.
    I agree with davidh. If this is something that you want, then do it now. So there may be a lot of competition.................You can do it better.

If there is a lot of competition, that means that there is probably a big pie to slice up. A little piece of a big pie can be as good as a big piece of the little pie and sometimes easier to get. Corny?? yes... but true
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

new idea
    thanks guys

fancy helping me create the content lol

any ides on how to best monitze a site like this just afew pointers if you can

all the best

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time in now. ~Chinese Proverb

And why stop at just an event that happens 1x every 4 years? Research events and activities that lead up to that event and build niche sites for all of those activities so you don't have your eggs all in one basket and can make some money more than 1x every 4 years.

Also consider using Google Insights so you can see when the trends are happening in a sport like this and see when the activity starts. It's like holidays -- while I don't focus on christmas until mid november, huge amounts of people have already knocked off half their shopping list in sept and october. Best time to advertise is on that early side of the curve.

Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tout67 View Post
    thanks guys

fancy helping me create the content lol

any ides on how to best monitze a site like this just afew pointers if you can

all the best
    Do you have a site already, with a search-relevant URL?

I have just opened an account in CJ and the very first affiliate who made money had a World Cup site....it was Lady Gaga tickets they bought though...
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

What about focusing on a smaller niche like:
    -a particular team?
    -game schedules
    -a particular player or player(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DrMarie View Post
    What about focusing on a smaller niche like:
    -a particular team?
    -game schedules
    -a particular player or player(s)
    The World Cup is only a one-month competition at the end of the day - the Finals anyway, so it makes sense to target the whole tournament.

I for one cannot wait for it. But then again, I'm English.
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian H - TicketLiquidator View Post
    The World Cup is only a one-month competition at the end of the day - the Finals anyway, so it makes sense to target the whole tournament.

I for one cannot wait for it. But then again, I'm English.
    So are you going to watch us get knocked out by Germany again this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    So are you going to watch us get knocked out by Germany again this year?
    I'm such an avid Man United fan that I find it difficult to drum up THAT much enthusiasm up for our national "heroes" like John Terry...but I'll try.

We have to win it again one day...you never know...those Germans always seem to head us off at the pass, though.

worldcup
    hey Ian
    good to meet another Utd fan on here i'm based in Manchester how about your self ? yeah i've got a site called 2010worldcupmania its not launched yet just writing the content ect
    Gutted about rooney missing this weekend against chelsea be a hard game that
    Any ideas how to monitized this world cup site im launching was thinking about banners but not sure how well they ll convert
    thanks to all you guys for replying

all the best

Paul

Understood! But my point is that there will likely be thousands of websites that you are competing against if you focus on the whole world cup. But, there may be only a few websites dedicated to players, a specific country, stats, etc.

It's better to get a large percentage of smaller niche than zero percent of a large subject. However, if you are really good at SEO and you can place your site at the top of Google, then go for it!

I typed in to Google Fifa world cup 2010 and it came up with 54 million websites. That's a lot of competition!

ABW Ambassador

I typed in to Google Fifa world cup 2010 and it came up with 54 million websites. That's a lot of competition!
    Not surprising as it is the biggest sport in the world

true there is lots of competion but how many of them do a proper job with seo,links ect i feel if i make my site unique then i ll stand a reasonable chance of scoring highly its the monitzing the site that i think maybe an issue

If you can find some good long tail keywords it might work out. But if you are mostly going after people searching for info on fifa world cup it will be tough!

I checked the front page when I searched "fifa world cup 2010" and most sites have a PR of 6! I know PR may not mean too much these days, but it does mean that they have a good number of strong backlinks.

I would be very impressed if you could take a general site about the world cup to page 1.

But then, when I first started designing my website from scratch most people told me there was no way I could do what I was trying to do and make it successful. I found one web design forum where someone told me..."This will be very hard to do, but not impossible. If you have the determination and are able to learn quickly you *could* do it."

I did do it. So, hey...go for it...but it may be hard!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    HI Tout67 - I highly recommend just getting your site up and running, add as much content as you can find/create to build it out and next time, don't be posting any *great ideas* you have in a public forum. There are currently probably 100 people scrambling to make a Fifa site and running to their favorite registrar to find the *best* domain name they can to build it. It's a hard lesson but one I think is good to point out because creative ideas (and good ones) are rare - if you have good ideas, don't assume everyone else does, too. (They don't - many just steal other people's good ideas and think nothing of it.)

Meanwhile, I second what BlogBonnieBlog posted:
    "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is now"
    (Awesome quote, Bonnie - SO true!)

Do it and get it rolling. By the next time it rolls around, you'll have a seasoned web site, and you will have learned a lot that will pay off at that time. In the meantime, you have 4 years in which to build the best Fifa site around. Just do it - don't hesitate. It takes a while to figure everything out but you're a thousand paces ahead by having found ABW now instead of later.

Good luck!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Understood! But my point is that there will likely be thousands of websites that you are competing against if you focus on the whole world cup. But, there may be only a few websites dedicated to players, a specific country, stats, etc.

It's better to get a large percentage of smaller niche than zero percent of a large subject. However, if you are really good at SEO and you can place your site at the top of Google, then go for it!

I understand but you have to make sure you're targeting the right searchers too. There's no point going to the trouble of creating a site for people who are only interested in reading about a specific player, because they might not be looking for tickets. When you optimize the site it will have to focus on keyterms that have the words "ticket", "schedule", etc in them, or it will only draw traffic from people looking to read about a player or team without planning to travel to South Africa for the Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by tout67 View Post
    hey Ian
    good to meet another Utd fan on here i'm based in Manchester how about your self ? yeah i've got a site called 2010worldcupmania its not launched yet just writing the content ect
    Gutted about rooney missing this weekend against chelsea be a hard game that
    Any ideas how to monitized this world cup site im launching was thinking about banners but not sure how well they ll convert
    thanks to all you guys for replying

all the best

Paul
    Hi Paul, I'm from Manchester originally but relocated to the USA a few years ago. I got your message and will reply to that in a little while. I have to go to a seminar this afternoon for an hour or two, but I will be in touch.

new idea
    thanks for the heads up Rexanne

the majority of people on ABW seem to be genuine and willing to help but like you said there will always be those who take advantage but i hope your'e wrong about " people copying this idea " it would mean even more compertition

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast