Concerning link swaps and PR.

Does the PR of the page your inbound link is on have as much importance as the PR of the site?

For example, if I have an inbound link coming in from a PR 6 website, but the page MY link is on is a PR 0 , does google think

" hey a PR 6 site...cool! I better take a look, spider it and notice everything on every page"

or

" hey a PR 6 site...cool! I'll look at the main page but ignore the rest of the pages since they are a PR 0 "

mopek

Affiliate Manager
    the page matters, not the site. But, if a PR 6 website has a site with PR0, it's probably only because the site is still very new and google has not done a PR update to reflect the true PR of that site since the site went live.
    Thomas Burgemeister - Affiliate Manager
    affiliates@LensWorld.com - 425-372-3471
    LensWorld.com: 10% commission, 120 return days, parasite free - Sign up at <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=20626">ShareASale</a>.

ABW Ambassador
    or it's a worthless piece of crap directory... I can't stand all of the emails I get requesting link exchanges, obviously because someone's using arelis or zeus, and I check out the PR of the page my link would be on, not that anyone would be able to find it in that mess, and it's almost always a PR0.
    They get all of these other sites linking to them, it boosts their site's PR, but the links are buried so deep the PR never trickles down to help you out. So, it's just a lose lose situation to link to these people who must thrive off of wasting our time...
    Recently, I've started insisting that the link back to my site be on a page w/ the same PR, usually PR3 or PR4, which is what their front page typically is... and since that crap is so automated, that's probably wasting my time too...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Thanks for your replies so far....

I do get alot of requests from webmasters
    wanting link exchanges. Many requests come
    from automated software sending emails. The
    sites will boast a PR 5 6 or 7 which gets my
    attention but when I look at thier links
    pages, they all have a low or NO PR?? It
    is like this for many of the sites and it
    stays that way so I'm sure it's not because
    of them needing a PR update.

I believe that many of them do not want to
    lose traffic so they bury their links pages
    (you're right on the money (Celiacaphile). Also,
    I know that the way the software automates the
    links pages , arranges them in such a way that
    they are levels down from the main page.

I guess the lesson that keeps biting me on the
    butt time and again is "quality" . Quality content, pages, and LINKS over quantity.

mopek

ABW Ambassador
    Unfortunately, and I'm surprised someone hasn't been boasting about it, that crap works... supposedly shows their popularity. But I think it only works because they target everybody and their mom w/ a site, including the people who don't know better. I put a lot of effort into my link exchanges & I'm offended by these people who contact one of my automotive-related sites and say that it's directly related to their debt consolidation or real estate site... Seeing them boost their PR kinda blows the theory about links having to be between same-type sites in order to benefit anyone. All it shows is, "hey I know how to quickly blow $100 - $300 and piss off a lot of people" :P
    Sooner or later, Google et. al. will take these types of sites/software into account and penalize for, dare I say it, spamming and trying to take advantage of other lesser-informed webmasters.
    I gotta hand it to some of the ones who actually try to customize their messages... you may fool me once, but w/ the # of related sites, I'll end up getting half a dozen from you & do you honestly think I'll fall for it after that?
    Hi, I'm a signature.

I find Google very frustrating to use as a search engine. More often than not the first couple of pages barely have anything related to what I'm looking for. Their ranking strategy based on links is stupid if they don't consider what kind of links people actually put on their pages.

I get a lot of visitors from Google and when I look at the page they came from, many times it's on a page 40+ and these convert very well. I presume that by the time they reach my site they're frustrated with all the other irrelevant pages they looked at.

Google is great for very specific search phrases and that's what I optimize my sites for. My PR is not as high, but my traffic is much higher quality. Click-thru to conversion ratio is extremely high with those searches.

I'm very careful who I link to, and they have to be directly related to the content of my site without being a direct competitor. I pick my own sites, I have never used software or any other type of link exchange program to do this.

Google is not the only search engine out there... and people who bookmark your site for good content and pass it around to others give you the best advertising you can get for free!

Catwoman

so putting a three-word phrase in the google inbox gives you 100,000 pages because it gives you every page for each of the three words.

In case you don't know, their advanced instructions (and a few other SEs have this also) say to put a phrase in quote marks to narrow the results down to online documents having the exact phrase.

In case you already know this, then please disregard.

Some things to watch out for when exchanging links:

Links pages excluded from spider in robots.txt file or in robot tag on page.

No link from main website to links page.

Link page is navagated to within a frame.

Link page is on another domain.

Real link is hidden using a mouse roll-over.

Link to you disappears shortly after you link back.

good luck

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    To that watch-out list, I'll add these:

Also watch out for places with big links pages or directories who never even put your link up even though they're the ones who initiate the exchange request. Not all of these look like junk, either. The ones I'm talking about seem to be hand-done and look fairly decent, but they just never get around to putting your link up.

I think some of those sites are counting on people assuming the link is there and that they just couldn't find it in the pile, but IE's "find (on this page)" tool works wonders.

I even had one of these places have the gall to dun me to put their link up, saying that they'd take mine down if I didn't. But I had checked all relevant categories in their "high PR directory" with IE's finder when they originally contacted me--No link! And when I checked again, still no link!

I wouldn't have minded being in that directory, since it was pretty well-done, actually did have high PR, and wasn't a program-generated POS. But now I wonder if whoever emailed me even had anything to do with that site, or if they were just claiming that in the hopes that people would link up without checking.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread