I'm using Frontpage 2000 with XP Pro.

Whenever I open a web page, Front Page prompts me for a name and password, saying that author permission is required (I just simply close the alert box without entering anything). In addition, the program spaces out every line of code so that it appears like this:

<div align="center">

<center>

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="768">

<tr>

<td>

Any ideas on how to get FP not to prompt me for a username and password and how to get FP to stop spacing out the code?

BTW, to those of you are thinking the answer is get rid of FrontPage, please refrain from giving that as an answer.

ABW Ambassador
    >please refrain

That is no fun!

Yeah, I know all you FP-haters are just dying to get on your soapbox.

Hey sweat,

To Hell with the FP Haters!

In the last 5 years I've made plenty of money with MS FrontPage. Some would say, "Yeh, but you could have made more if you used XYZ program".

Well, I say that if it wasn't for MS FP, I wouldn't have made squat!

Sorry, But I can't help you with your problem. What you describe has never happened to me.

Good Luck with FP.

Ken
    (I Love FP)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> To Hell with the FP Haters!

In the last 5 years I've made plenty of money with MS FrontPage. Some would say, "Yeh, but you could have made more if you used XYZ program".

Sorry, But I can't help you with your problem. What you describe has never happened to me.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that Ken.

Sweat, I've used every version of FP and have never had that happen. I suggest you upgrade to FP2003, It's well worth the money.

http and a telephoto
    I'll ditto the FP 2003 suggestion, it has features that blow your version away. It has lots more features.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Is there something in your preference that changed with out you noticing it? Can you do a repair or reinstall ?
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

FP is prompting you because it is calling something from a remote server (not local) do you have FP set up to automatically open up your most recent page? You probably have content on that page that has an absolute reference to a file that is on another server and not called locally and the div is probably a derivative/effect of that remote file call.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Haiko,

On every page I've got an affiliate link of somesort or another. In addition, it is calling to a CSS and the logo is being pulled from the web. Would this a be a cause?

Joey - thanks for the suggestion. The preference settings were my first guess, but I don't see anything in them that would cause this (unless I'm completely missing something).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken Walton:
    Hey sweat,

To Hell with the FP Haters!

(I Love FP) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well - seeing that someone already seconded that - I will third it! I laugh all the way to the bank when I see web design experts bash FrontPage. By telling people (especially newbies!) not to use Frontpage - they are doing a tremendous disservice.

Oh yeah - you can learn html to create pages. You can also cut your lawn with a nail clipper and get equal pleasure IMO.
    Larry Wentz
    <a href="http://twitter.com/LarryWentz">Twitter.com/LarryWentz</a>

Internet Cowboy
    There are SOOOO many WYSIWYG editors out there that use real HTML. FrontPage is so bulky and cumbersome and installs Microsoft advertisements in your HTML code.
    Dreamweaver is 100 times better than frontpage if you must use an HTML editor.

HEY! No Frontpage Hating! Just possible solutions to my problem!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Oh yeah - you can learn html to create pages. You can also cut your lawn with a nail clipper and get equal pleasure IMO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> FrontPage is so bulky and cumbersome and installs Microsoft advertisements in your HTML code. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Not so schohaz. It uses some program specific bots if you use some of the automated FP features, but it does not install advertisements.

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scohaz:
    There are SOOOO many WYSIWYG editors out there that use real HTML. FrontPage is so bulky and cumbersome and installs Microsoft advertisements in your HTML code.
    Dreamweaver is 100 times better than frontpage if you must use an HTML editor. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all there are issues with Dreamweaver too, no one editor is perfect, I use both programs for different things and for different reasons. FP2003 ROCKS and is worth the money to upgrade if you currently use FP or are getting started and need a WYSIWIG editor to get started. This is from a person that HAD sworn off Front Page and never wanted to touch it again

Stay away from Front Page components and you will not get bloated crap, FP2003 eliminated most of the bloat anyway.

Most people do NOT know straight html when they are starting, but FP2003 has better html tools than older versions and it should be easy for even a newcomer to be able to look at the straight code and see what is going on.

There are coders that use only notepad and never use a WYSIWIG editor, more power to you! I used to be one of you and truthfully, I use mostly php for my sites so I use Notepad for simple edits and Dreamweaver when I need to see line numbers.

When I want to apply a theme or shared borders to an existing site or template site, I use FP2003.

There is room for all the programs,they all have a different purpose. If you can't afford them all, get what YOU are comfortable with.

Why do people treat web site creation programs like they are a religion and always try to convert people to the one they believe in?????
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread