Commission change for the Nature Hills Nursery! What does this mean?????
    Got an e-mail from SAS:

This is an automated notification regarding a commission change for the Nature Hills Nursery, Inc. ShareASale Affiliate Program.

This merchant has made a change to your group commission rate.

Previous Per Sale Commission: 15.00%
    New Per Sale Commission: Merchant Default

What does "Merchant Default" mean?? That doesn't tell us anything.

Is this a way of hidding what the new commission is?

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

The default commission should be the one shown in the list when you search for new merchants. It is the commission offered for a new sign-up and looks like 12.5% for that merchant. (or on a "lead" basis a penny a lead)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thanks. It would still be nice if they showed it in the e-mail instead of having to go to SAS and trying to find out what it is.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Tax Paying Member
    I got this today also. Seems like we have been kicked out of the penthouse and down to the basement.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Are you active and sending a steady stream of sales to them? If so, and it was me, I'd send them a message saying that the monthly sales you send will be re-set from the previous monthly average, to a monthly average of zero.

Hardcore maybe, but for a merchant to retract an offer that was accepted in good faith is just plain rude; "Back-stab" rude.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Previous Per Sale Commission: 9.00%
    New Per Sale Commission: Merchant Default
    From Land of Nod today. At least the system could generate their default so we wouldn't have to go look up our new commission.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    From Land of Nod today. At least the system could generate their default so we wouldn't have to go look up our new commission.
    The system could be massaged a bit, for sure. Meanwhile the "cost cutting" merchants have got to be loving this. With the one you mentioned it "diminishes the effect" of a 22% cut in pay.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    A change to commissions is a business practice that we all have to face at times. Not communicating it to affiliates in a way that makes sense is just poor affiliate management.

Does Nature Hills Nursery have an active AM here?

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Does Nature Hills Nursery have an active AM here?
    They did at one time and it was a top notch program. For the last year or so, their program seems to have been in limbo.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

A change to commissions is a business practice that we all have to face at times.
    Yes, but... in the case of custom commission rates, oftentimes there has been an arrangement something like "we'll give you X% additional commission if you give us premium exposure on "Site X" instead of giving that exposure to "Competitor X".

Arbitrary cutbacks like this show a blatant disregard for affiliates in general, and a particularly boorish disregard for "gentleman's agreements" that may have been in place.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I took the liberty of changing the title of the thread as I couldn't agree with you more DavidH. Can someone push this thread to the AM or PM me and I will.

I sent Rob a note.

Affiliate Manager
    Hi John
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    Hi John,

I'm the affiliate program manager at The Land of Nod. I wanted to address your question. We raised your commission from the standard 7% rate to 9% for the month of March as a thank you for all your hard work. This promotion lasted the month of March and went back to the 7% commission rate that we have always had on April 1st. I wanted to let you know what the default rate is and also let you know that we did not change it from what you've always had. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Ashley.Gwiazdzinski@landofnod.com

Thanks!

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    A good practice from the merchant side is to always send an email regarding these things. We discussed this in another thread.

The email should cover:

1. The reason. Was it a short-term promotion? A temporary increase due to a bonus or something else?

2. The new amount (if setting to default). This saves the affiliate from having to look it up.

3. The length of the new commission (see #1)

I recommend sending it BEFORE you change the commission.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt McWilliams View Post
    A good practice from the merchant side is to always send an email regarding these things. We discussed this in another thread.

The email should cover:

1. The reason. Was it a short-term promotion? A temporary increase due to a bonus or something else?

2. The new amount (if setting to default). This saves the affiliate from having to look it up.

3. The length of the new commission (see #1)

I recommend sending it BEFORE you change the commission.
    Hi Matt,

Thank you. I agree, I think it's important to communicate the changes in commission. We did send out a newsletter prior to raising the commission as well as one before the commission was changed back to the default rate so that the publishers would know and expect to see the changes in commission.

Thanks,
    Ashley

Change to Nature Hills Default Commission Rate
    Hi everyone! I began managing the Nature Hills Affiliate Program in January and want to say hi and answer BurgerBoy's question regarding our commission rate change. I had heard of this website but had not joined, so my thanks to 2Busy for sending me the link to this thread. If people have questions or feedback about the Nature Hills Affiliate Program, they are welcome to send me a message through ShareASale or email me directly at naturehillsaffiliates@gmail.com.

I agree with previous posts in the thread that communication with affiliates is important, and that giving affiliates advance notice of changes is the right way to go. So in January I started a monthly affiliate newsletter and the first one went out through SAS on January 29th at 10:39AM.

In that newsletter I explained that as result of changes to our overall marketing program and to bring us more in line with the affiliate programs of competitors the default commission rate and cookie duration of our program would be changing on February 1st for new affiliates and on March 31st for existing affiliates. This way, our affiliates would have two months notice before the changes took effect for them.

On March 15th I sent out the March newsletter, again using the SAS system, which included a reminder of program changes. When I changed the default commission rate on March 31st, SAS sent out the automated message BurgerBoy and others got, and unfortunately merchants like me cannot edit or add explanations to those (which I really wish it would). Like Ashley of Land of Nod, I had sent out newsletters announcing the change, but it seems not everyone had read those newsletters.

Hope this clears up the confusion, for which I apologize.

I want all of our affiliates to know we do value our working relationship with them and welcome their feedback. I'll monitor this thread and like I mentioned earlier, folks are welcome to contact me directly. Thanks!!

Rob Bunting
    Nature Hills Nursery Affiliate Program Mgr.
    naturehillsaffiliates@gmail.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Hi Rob. Welcome to ABW and thanks for the explanation.

I do have one problem with some of what you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by NatureHills View Post
    ... and to bring us more in line with the affiliate programs of competitors the default commission rate and cookie duration of our program would be changing on February 1st for new affiliates and on March 31st for existing affiliates.
    You are, I assume, NOT referring to such programs as Breck's, Garden's Alive, bloomingbulb.com, Gurney's, Henry Fields, and Springhill, that all pay 15%, and most of which have a 120 day cookie (compared to your new 60 day cookie)?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    In that newsletter I explained that as result of changes to our overall marketing program and to bring us more in line with the affiliate programs of competitors the default commission rate and cookie duration of our program would be changing
    In other words, there is no reason why an affiliate should promote you over a competitor.

What a brilliant way for you to ruin an affiliate program, bring it in line with your competitors.

How about offering better than your competitors?

Hi everyone! I began managing the Nature Hills Affiliate Program in January and want to say hi and answer BurgerBoy's question regarding our commission rate change. I had heard of this website but had not joined, so my thanks to 2Busy for sending me the link to this thread. If people have questions or feedback about the Nature Hills Affiliate Program, they are welcome to send me a message through ShareASale or email me directly at...

I agree with previous posts in the thread that communication with affiliates is important, and that giving affiliates advance notice of changes is the right way to go. So in January I started a monthly affiliate newsletter and the first one went out through SAS on January 29th at 10:39AM.

Rob Bunting
    Nature Hills Nursery Affiliate Program Mgr.
    Hi Rob,

Even though the change in commission rate is very important, I'm glad you're here now, because I have an important question regarding the Nature Hills Nursery datafeed...

The last datafeed update from Nature Hills Nursery was made on Aug 01 2009, but the main problem is that the last datafeed available is a piece of nothing, because there is no more fields after the description field, so there is no way to use that feed with anything more than a make a page of products as is...

What ever happens to the old feed, how can using just 12 fields be of any good?

I'm sorry for killing this thread!

I'm hoping Rob will be back, even if it's in another thread. I have shoppers emailing me because products that are in the feed are not currently available. The feed needs some work for sure.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread