Avoid Newspaperarchive.com
    I have been a major affiliate (monthly commissions have been in 4 figures) of Newspaperarchive.com for about 2 years. No longer. I pulled my ads 3 days ago. Do not be fooled by the "generous" 50% commissions on sales. And, yes conversions are good when I have run their ads on my genealogy sites. But forget about getting paid.

This is one of those merchants who think that once they get you to run their ads on your site(s) it is optional if they pay you the commissions due to you. Contract agreements mean nothing to Newspaperarchive.com (or Heritage Microfilm in Cedar Rapids, Iowa).

I am currently owed 3 months of commissions by Newspaper Archive.

If you are a newspaperarchive affiliate and frustrated by sending emails to their affiliate manager (Sarah Farebrother .. email is: sfarebrother@newspaperarchive.com) don't get mad, get even.

After 10 years of running ads for merchants and selling between 250,000 and 500,000 of product for them each year, I have found 2 things will get you paid:

Pull your ads - replace them with a competitors ads. Then you can put them back up when you are paid. More likely you will have found a better advertiser and won't put the ads back up.

Post to forums like ABestWeb. Posting to forums like this is from my experience incredibly powerful. Please allow me to give an example of its effectiveness:

Back in January 2010 one of my merchants was behind in payments and their communication with we affiliates about anything had dropped to zero. I posted this :
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...475#post988475

Well, here is what happened out of that post:

we got paid, all payments were brought up to date within 12 days of that post.

They found (early in March) the cause of the declining commissions was a reporting bug and commissions for March are back to where they should be

Now if there are ANY problems with reporting, sales not going up etc, they let us know by email. I have had 3 emails in March alone updating me on reporting issues they are fixing.

I have 3 advertisers who all pay on time and communicate in a friendly, businesslike manner . There is a mutual respect for the functions both the affiliate and merchant perform. Each can benefit from the relationship.

However it took a long time of going through, maybe 20 different merchants to find them.

And Newspaperarchive.com is definitely NOT a merchant I would recommend to any affiliate.

Unless, of course you like running ads for free.

Thank you for the post...hopefully you'll get paid, but I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread to see whether you've gotten paid or not.

Thanks for the info. I was considering joining them. At this point I will keep away but I will monitor this thread to see if they have paid you.

Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was considering joining them. At this point I will keep away but I will monitor this thread to see if they have paid you.
    Bibby,

thanks for your post.

I should clarify my original post
    "Unless of course you like running your ads for free"

In reality, Heritage Microfilm HAVE paid me for running their ads. The point is they pay when they feel like it. They quite often do not pay Linkshare on time, resulting in Linkshare not being able to distribute payments to affiliates on time.

My websites are my business. I have business commitments like any other business. I have bank loans that are due on a certain date of the month. Late payment of bank loans incur financial penalties. Affiliate agreements with merchants or their agents (in this case Linkshare) are business agreements. It's time merchants realised the repercussions of not honoring business agreements.

They lose revenue by affiliates not wanting to run these merchants ads and going to reputable merchants who do.

TVChatten,
    thank you for your post.

The issue here is not IF I get paid, but will Newspaperarchive ever pay on time?

The unfair part is that affiliates will be terminated for not honoring merchant TOS but the networks allow them to screw affiliates.

We send these people sales and SOME merchants can choose to do what they want and the networks don't do their part in representing our issues.

It's time that affiliate concerns are addressed by the networks. If networks penalize goon merchants for bullying us then those merchants will act more honorably.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by surnames View Post
    Start to worry after 4 months. 3 months late is like normal for many LinkShare merchants.
    It's unfortunate but it has been like that for years. You can still show you're not happy by working with their competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Start to worry after 4 months. 3 months late is like normal for many LinkShare merchants.
    It's unfortunate but it has been like that for years. You can still show you're not happy by working with their competition.
    Sorry Zeus, but sometimes I have to worry about your (15 years and counting.) experience advice...

Because after just 11 years on this, I start to worry after just 1 month, and after 2 months... I start to look for another outlet!

3 months late is like normal for many LinkShare merchants?

I still am not on LinkShare yet but, if that's your advise... I think I should never consider join LinkShare, any time soon...

Perhaps your experience is of normal late payment, but mine is not.

One of my 3 main merchants I have been with for 10 years. In the early days they were renegade in their behaviour and challenged us (major US genealogy sites) by paying late. We would band together and just pull our ads. Things have settled down now. In the last 3 years they pay on time and let us know if a monthly payment is going to be late.

My most important advertiser who delivers the lions share of my income pays in the first week of the month. For example, This month, even though it was Easter paid me yesterday for my commissions due for ads I ran March 2010.

Mr Sal,
    I don't think the problem is with Linkshare. 3rd party networks will not send out affiliate payments if they have not received the money from the merchant. I do not know what the cutoff date is with Linkshare, but with Commission Junction the funds have to be in by the 12th of the month or CJ will not pay afffiliates (normally around 7-9 days later ie: by the 21st of the same month.)

The affiliate manager for Newspaperarchive.com has already accepted the fault is that they have not sent the funds to Linkshare.

I have been a major affiliate (monthly commissions have been in 4 figures) of Newspaperarchive.com for about 2 years. No longer. I pulled my ads 3 days ago. Do not be fooled by the "generous" 50% commissions on sales. And, yes conversions are good when I have run their ads on my genealogy sites. But forget about getting paid.

This is one of those merchants who think that once they get you to run their ads on your site(s) it is optional if they pay you the commissions due to you. Contract agreements mean nothing to Newspaperarchive.com (or Heritage Microfilm in Cedar Rapids, Iowa).

If you are a newspaperarchive affiliate and frustrated by sending emails to their affiliate manager (Sarah Farebrother .. email is: sfarebrother@newspaperarchive.com) don't get mad, get even.

After 10 years of running ads for merchants and selling between 250,000 and 500,000 of product for them each year, I have found 2 things will get you paid:

Pull your ads - replace them with a competitors ads. Then you can put them back up when you are paid. More likely you will have found a better advertiser and won't put the ads back up.

Post to forums like ABestWeb. Posting to forums like this is from my experience incredibly powerful. Please allow me to give an example of its effectiveness:

Back in January 2010 one of my merchants was behind in payments and their communication with we affiliates about anything had dropped to zero. I posted this :
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...475#post988475

Well, here is what happened out of that post:

we got paid, all payments were brought up to date within 12 days of that post.

They found (early in March) the cause of the declining commissions was a reporting bug and commissions for March are back to where they should be

Now if there are ANY problems with reporting, sales not going up etc, they let us know by email. I have had 3 emails in March alone updating me on reporting issues they are fixing.

I have 3 advertisers who all pay on time and communicate in a friendly, businesslike manner . There is a mutual respect for the functions both the affiliate and merchant perform. Each can benefit from the relationship.

However it took a long time of going through, maybe 20 different merchants to find them.

And Newspaperarchive.com is definitely NOT a merchant I would recommend to any affiliate.

Unless, of course you like running ads for free.
    Quick note:
    Can we please keep postings to this thread that are relevent?This thread is not an opportunity to slag off about Linkshare or networks in general.

This topic is about Newspaperarchive/Heritage Microfilm and their haphazard paying policy.

I would like this to be an area where this could be discussed in a positive way as to a solution, and welcome publishers who are current newspaperarchive affiliates to post.

Newspaperarchive have just made 3 months of back payments
    Quick note:

This topic is about Newspaperarchive/Heritage Microfilm and their haphazard paying policy.

exactly 20 days after my first post in this thread, Newspaperarchive have just made 3 months of back payments for Jan, Feb and March.

This means they are currently up to date with payments to their affiliates. It will be interesting to see if they maintain this.

Hell, I might even put their ads back up....

15 years and counting
    exactly 20 days after my first post in this thread, Newspaperarchive have just made 3 months of back payments for Jan, Feb and March.

This means they are currently up to date with payments to their affiliates. It will be interesting to see if they maintain this.

Hell, I might even put their ads back up....
    Typical LinkShare.

LinkShare pays very well, if they receive the merchants payment
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Typical LinkShare.
    Zeus: I have a very small web site where I promote a LinkShare Premium Advertiser. That Advertiser pays LinkShare very promptly. LinkShare pays me very promptly. LinkShare pays Affiliates 4 times monthly.

15 years and counting
    Paying 4 times monthly doesnt mean LinkShare is paying on time, just more often. Some merchants are still 3/4 months late. (Check their reports) LinkShare pays their affiliates only after the check sent by the merchants clear the bank. A few merchants are the exception and are paying LinkShare promply, it's not the rule.

Networks should require faster payments from advertisers
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Paying 4 times monthly doesnt mean LinkShare is paying on time, just more often. Some merchants are still 3/4 months late. (Check their reports) LinkShare pays their affiliates only after the check sent by the merchants clear the bank. A few merchants are the exception and are paying LinkShare promply, it's not the rule.
    Zeus: I agree with you. I believe the networks should require the advertisers to pay promptly and not let them get 3 or 4 months behind.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi All,

LinkShare's policy for most Advertisers is Net 30 - meaning advertisers are asked to pay the invoices 30 days from the date we issue them. For example, a transaction that occurred in January will be invoiced for in the beginning of February (almost all invoices are issued the beginning of the month), the invoice should be paid by the beginning of March and then LinkShare will pay the publishers that are due in the next payment cycle.

As mentioned above LinkShare has a weekly payment cycle. LinkShare will consolidate all of the payments from different advertisers and pay its publishers within 7 days of receiving the payment from the advertisers assuming it has met the threshold that is set by each individual publisher.

There may be special cases/circumstances where our Credit & Collections department work with the Advertisers to collect the money that is due to LinkShare and its publishers.

I hope everyone understands that LinkShare does try its best to make the most out of every partnership that is created in our network.

If there are any specific cases that you may want to discuss further please feel free to send me a PM with your SID/Username and a brief explanation of the issue.

--Ranae

Is LinkShare doing anything to collect and distribute payments faster and/or to protect affiliates from companies going bankrupt or leaving the network without paying?

Many of the other networks require escrow accounts and pay 15-20 days after the end of the month, so that puts you at a competitive disadvantage with most of the other networks (except GAN, which is even slower to pay).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Old thread about Hyatt Hotels on CJ, paying one year late
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Is LinkShare doing anything to collect and distribute payments faster and/or to protect affiliates from companies going bankrupt or leaving the network without paying?

Many of the other networks require escrow accounts and pay 15-20 days after the end of the month, so that puts you at a competitive disadvantage with most of the other networks (except GAN, which is even slower to pay).
    Michael: By coincidence, someone reactivated an old thread, today, which began in 2007. It took Hyatt Hotels, on CJ, one year to pay him.....
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...95#post1017595
    Does CJ now require Escrow accounts, to prevent that from happening?

In a more ideal world, the Merchants could send their next months anticipated costs to the networks, to prevent some or all of this, but I doubt most of them have the cash flow or willingness to do that. Possibly the networks could get the merchants to post a bond or something, to take care of the Affiliates and the Network, in case a Merchant goes belly up?

I am the personwho started this thread.

Because the discussion here now is not about Newspaperarchive and their late paying habits (the original topic), I want to delete this thread.

I have sent to messages to ABestWeb trying to get this thread moderated to only have posts about newspaperarchive and to get this thread deleted, with no reply nor any action on their part.

I am new to this forum. Can someone please tell me:

A:
    Can I delete this whole thread (as I am the original person who started it)

B:
    How do I do this?

thanks.

I am the personwho started this thread.

Because the discussion here now is not about Newspaperarchive and their late paying habits (the original topic), I want to delete this thread.

I have sent to messages to ABestWeb trying to get this thread moderated to only have posts about newspaperarchive and to get this thread deleted, with no reply nor any action on their part.

I am new to this forum. Can someone please tell me:

A:
    Can I delete this whole thread (as I am the original person who started it)

B:
    How do I do this?

thanks.
    This is just my two cents. Sometimes discussions lead to similar situations or solutions of the general topic. This might be the case with this thread. While your original posting might be about Newspaperarchive, the discussion can lead to similar experiences with other merchants or solutions that the networks can offer.

That's what a forum is. It's a discussion.

I don't think this thread should be deleted. It's now a reference thread to future posting on a similar topic.

Please ignore my above post. I see now how these posts you folks have made about Linkshare are relevant. Up until now, I have not been on the same page. My opinion has always been that it is the responsibilty of the merchant to get the funds in on time and that if payments are not made the fault lies with the merchant, not Linkshare.

I now see the point of view of you that have said Linkshare has some responsibility in working with the merchant to ensure payments are made to affiliates on time and agree with you on this.

yep

Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    This is just my two cents. Sometimes discussions lead to similar situations or solutions of the general topic. This might be the case with this thread. While your original posting might be about Newspaperarchive, the discussion can lead to similar experiences with other merchants or solutions that the networks can offer.

That's what a forum is. It's a discussion.

I don't think this thread should be deleted. It's now a reference thread to future posting on a similar topic.
    yes, Bibby, you are right about this.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread