Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Tips for Moving to & Using GMail (with RTM and Basecamp)
    I've been thinking long and hard about this for a month or so and I am moving my life to gmail from Outlook. I've used outlook for years managing multiple email accounts for my various domains and have rules and folders out the wazoo that I am looking to simplify.

I am bouncing from office to office, computer to computer, as well as using an Iphone and have got to find a way to have my life synchronized in one place.

I've seen a few people make mention that they use gmail. What should I watch out for? I believe I'll be using RememberTheMilk for task management and Basecamp for projects/client stuff. I'm just so nervous about having my whole life in google's hands ( LOL Big Brother!) yet my own computer is probably more likely to crash then lose info to google.

Any highly recommended add-ons and such I should be isntalling? I want to make this as painless as possible

Good luck with the move.

I did that also about a year ago when I got the iphone. The reason we signed on to a gmail account (I was against it for the same reasons as you) is so that I can synchronize and update my ical calendar on my mac and iphone the same time using my gmail account. Apple was selling their mobilme service that would do that for a fee whereas using gmail you can do that at no cost (other than privacy and data mining). Well, I guess that's the cost.

http and a telephoto
    Are you planning to use Gmail or Google Apps? I have switched pretty much all our email accounts (on all domains, of which we have many, lol) to Google Apps Accounts. With that you can be logged into multiple domains at a time (you can only be logged into one Gmail account at a time).

I've never been an Outlook fan, and have used Eudora forever. I only have used Outlook when a j*b required it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    I looked at going with MobileMe and even signed up for a trial until I realized that you can't really use your own domain. I didn't have an interest in getting ANOTHER email address. Already have too many LOL. But all that MobileMe does, is exactly what I was looking for.

Debbie I did actually start a free trial of Google Apps last night but I have to send in the info to my host to change the cname. Is it worth it? Their site doesn't really focus on a newbie company expanding their email, only luring in companies already on Exchange.

Thought I would check out how bad it is just using gmail as it is first and saves me $50 a year . I don't have any additional users yet but was looking at the apps functionality trying to have a little forethought for that as I do see it on the horizon.

Aside from trying to make it so I'm not juggling between multiple laptops (which if I did go the apps route I should be able to sync them all even if i still wanted to use outlook AND gmail) is that one client requires me to use their mail which uses up the outlook exchange option on my iphone. I have another email account I need to get access to that also uses outlook exchange and I have to manually remember to go look at it since I can't sync multiple exchange accounts to my phone. I'm sure I'm not the only one in America with this issue -- just trying to find the easiest way to simplify it all .

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread