Affiliates of 5+ years
    I've been going full-steam on my affiliate website for about 6 months now, about 4 months of which I've been promoting it.

It's been doing well, better than I expected in such short order, but I was curious how this year has compared to previous years for those that have had an affiliate site for say the last 5 or more years? Do you see a down-turn? I'm in the U.S., so I'm more looking for affiliates in North America as a comparison.

Also, for those that have had an affiliate site for 5 or more years, what was the typical percentage increase you saw in traffic and commissions every year?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

2009 was my worst year in five years. Growth (for me) was modest year-to-year, but there was always growth. Average -- maybe 20% until 2009. It became so bad I almost walked, but then after Dec. things began to slowly pick up. I've heard other long-term affiliates say 2009 was a great year.

There are so many variables to this business, one solid answer is nearly impossible. Good luck w/ your site. Most new site affiliates are depressed with performance the first year. This is a slow growth business. Patience is a virtue.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    As an OPM firm we were up 32% in 2009. Combination of pushing every deal we could create and adding some new programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    As an OPM firm we were up 32% in 2009. Combination of pushing every deal we could create and adding some new programs.
    But, I was more interested in results for 2010.

We are currently up 15% over 2009.

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"]Very interesting. The reason I posted this was to see if the traffic I was getting in a down economy was normal or below average. I know it's hard to compare year-to-year due to the increase in traffic and certain things will increase when money is tight.

Like I said, my site is doing remarkably well, considering, but I'm worried that now that Christmas is over and people that are getting refunds probably already have them and possibly spent them, that things are going to go south until the end of the year.

As everyone that runs a small business does, I tried to not put all my eggs in one basket. I am afraid, however, (and not to get political here) *EDIT*
    Last edited by Merchant Consultant Team; April 6th, 2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Way Too Political

Look for seasonal programs. We just came off the peak for fitness equipment and are now focused on spring clean-up.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread