Magento ecommerce software - as an affiliate datafeed site
    I was thinking of perhaps creating a few affiliate stores (or perhaps an affiliate mall) and while browsing, I stumbled upon Magento. I was wondering if any of you use Magento (or have ever used it) and mainly what's your personal take on it.

Also I was thinking about OpenCart too.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I am a bit puzzled here. Why would you use a shopping cart on an affiliate site? Or is this some sort of drop ship program that you are working with?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

No, I saw online that they had a php type of add-on in which you can import/export datafeeds. I'm more looking into an affiliate datafeed site (I guess that's what they're called) and I was told that OpenCart could be one if the add-on was installed on it.

Update: Nevermind, I found exactly what I was looking for.
    Last edited by TVChatten; April 5th, 2010 at 06:11 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Magento can be used to create an affiliate price comparison site or a datafeed site. There are also wordpress plugins that can be used to turn a wp blog to a datafeed/pricecomp site.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_park View Post
    Magento can be used to create an affiliate price comparison site or a datafeed site. There are also wordpress plugins that can be used to turn a wp blog to a datafeed/pricecomp site.
    Mainly that's what I was looking for, a datafeed affiliate site. Have you personally used Magento yourself?

ABW Ambassador
    I haven't used Magento.

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    I wouldn't use it personally, I think there are far better platforms out there for what you are doing. Magento is known for heavy processor use (not sure if they fixed this or not) that could really slow down your server. The platform is a bit confusing and may require you to hire a professional who specializes in this field (they will be more per hour).
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmWilliam View Post
    I wouldn't use it personally, I think there are far better platforms out there for what you are doing. Magento is known for heavy processor use (not sure if they fixed this or not) that could really slow down your server. The platform is a bit confusing and may require you to hire a professional who specializes in this field (they will be more per hour).
    Awesome...what better platforms are out there that surpasses Magento in that way?

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Are you looking for open source or paid shopping carts? There are a lot of options out there. I would suggest trying out a few and see what you like best.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

open source

http and a telephoto
    I changed the thread title because you aren't looking to use Magento as an ecommerce solution, but to use it as an affiliate site. People searching to use it as a merchant would be confused by reading this thread with it's original title.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

You can give us few examples, please?
    free and paid..

I'm just at the beginning and really I don't can catch
    any tentacle of that octopus - affiliate marketing.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmWilliam View Post
    Are you looking for open source or paid shopping carts? There are a lot of options out there. I would suggest trying out a few and see what you like best.

If you want to build an affiliate site ( not a merchant site) using datafeeds a good product is: http://www.pricetapestry.com/

I use it on my sites and I really like it. It will handle any datafeed.

I've been using it since 2005.

wow..i'm very impressed about sites from "Customer Comments and Site Links" made with pricetapestry script.

Related to price, is obviously for me if I want to have big results must have adequate tool. From that point of view I think the price is ok.

Thanks for recommendation. I will spend next days on pricetapestry forum to read more information about that script.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread