Does it make business sense to use google Adwords to promote affiliate website?
    I've always wondered if it makes business sense to advertise an affiliate site since the site is suppose to generate income. Imagine if you have like 50 people click on your adword link and end up not clicking on the banners on your site, you get to loose.

ABW Ambassador
    Banners?

Your site must SELL and use text links maybe with a small banner for color - imo

ABW Ambassador
    You don't want to pay for adwords and then have them click on a banner. You are throwing your money away if you do that.

You spend the money on adwords, and then you give them a reason why they should buy whatever it is you are promoting, and then they would probably click on a text link or a product link, not a banner.

ABW Ambassador
    Many affiliates use Adwords. It does make perfect business sense.

The volume of qualified traffic that Adwords can get you is phenomenal. But Adwords is just the beginning of the puzzle. You need to map out a path for a prospective buyer from an Adword keyword to your affiliate site to the vendor site to conversion. Each part must work for your adwords campaign to be profitable. You may have great keywords, great ad, great landing page, and may be great conversion. But if the vendor does't track and report the sale (read the thread about Hostgator not paying affiliates), then you lose.

Adwords (or any ppc campaign) is a lot of work. It takes trial and error, testing, experience to make it work in your favor.

I'm not talking about direct linking. I mean linking to one's own website and expecting the visitor to click on a link that takes them to the merchant's website.

@ sam_park, i get your drift.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by afam4eva View Post
    I'm not talking about direct linking. I mean linking to one's own website and expecting the visitor to click on a link that takes them to the merchant's website.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_park View Post
    You need to map out a path for a prospective buyer from an Adword keyword to your affiliate site to the vendor site to conversion.
    I am not talking about direct linking either. See my post .. from an Adword keyword to your affiliate site

You must understand that the your landing page should be much more than just an affiliate link.

If all you have on your site is a banner or a link, of course nobody will click on it. That's the reason its called affiliate marketing. You need to offer value on your LP and on your site. You need to presell. Its not to click on a link that a visitor comes to your site for. The visitor is looking for something, He/she searched for it on the web, found your ad, which interested him/her. And that's the reason he is on your site now. Offer the info that the vistor is looking for. Offer a solution to the problem the visitor is hoping to solve and the visitor will click through to the vendor and may be buy.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Everything Sam said. :-) A lot of successful affiliates *buy traffic* to their sites through PPC. It makes perfect sense if you have the money. It can get expensive if you don't know how to play the game but I think it's well worth a small investment to find out if it works. If you see good ROI, run with it and buy more.

I haven't yet ventured into buying PPC traffic so I have no *advice* but it's something I would certainly try if I had the money to invest into it.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

it does make a lot of sense, adwords as well as many other traffic sources

you don't have to expect users to click on a banner on your website, you must point them to a page specificially built to convince them to buy that specific item, service, fill a form etc, you have to sell them what you're promoting.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    You don't want to pay for adwords and then have them click on a banner. You are throwing your money away if you do that.

You spend the money on adwords, and then you give them a reason why they should buy whatever it is you are promoting, and then they would probably click on a text link or a product link, not a banner.
    Someone needs to take the time to explain what a landing page is...

Build a Landing page to promote a product or many similar products.

Build an Adwords campaign around that page.

If your traffic is good, but you don't see the return you are looking for, then work on your landing pages.

That's how you pay AdWords to promote an affiliate link.

( note: ALWAYS check the TOS of your merchants and make sure that you are not bidding against their forbidden search terms or building landing pages that may also be in violation )

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

I agree that you shouldn't place just a banner to be clicked in your landing page, you need some value, here are some ideas: if you are promoting a product do a review of the product (be as honest as you can), you can compare prices when the product can be purchased from several places or add a small guide of the product with information that you may not find at other sources.

Adwords can be tricky. I would suggest to start with a small amount of money and run test and get as much education as possible before you start using it. Your money can go very quick with it.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread