i have just switched from IE 6
    to Avant 9 Browser.

Is it a good move ?

What do you use now?

Isn't Avant browser an IE overlay rather than a truly individually separate browser?

Personally I use Opera for everything except one or two things that don't work with Opera. That's when I use Mozilla Firefox or K-meleon (a slimmed-down Mozilla browser)

>>Avant browser an IE overlay

i think so after i download and installed,
    i will try another one

>>Opera

what is the strength ?
    esp. how it compare to Mozilla Firefox ?
    it is not a free browser ?

What about Netscape 7 ?

umm, have you tried firefox?

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Those i need to compare now

Mozilla Firefox
    Mozilla 1.6
    Opera 7.5
    Netscape 7.1

Try any of the Mozilla variants.
    If anything, it's worth using just because of the live http headers plugin.
    It makes really easy to check what cookies are being set by any page or link.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Congrats on weaning yourself off IE.

You're learning.

With all its problems, I still use IE. The reason is simple, more than 90% of our visitors use it. I like the "firsthand" experience; I see what they're seeing, both on our site and the so-called competition.

Wow, I've just finalized my move from opera 7.23 to 7.5 and even more impressed than usual.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    &gt;&gt;Opera

what is the strength ?
    esp. how it compare to Mozilla Firefox ?
    it is not a free browser ?

What about Netscape 7 ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Opera is free with a small advertisement space, or you can buy it. I'm always short of money (don't make enough in this affiliate game yet) so haven't been able to buy it yet but the ad space isn't a problem to me.

Strengths are that it's very highly customizable (useful features as well as skins - the useful features are what attract me more than skins but if you like skins there are lots to choose from). Personally I find the customization easier than Mozilla browsers. At the moment I've got mine set up so that:

at the top I've got (from left to right) standard (removable) links to opera, opera community, and opera webmail, then a price comparison search box (which I don't think I've ever used), amazon.com search box, google search box, google groops search box, google news search box .... all in this paragraph are on one "line" of the browser.

At the bottom I've got my navigation (back, forward, reload/stop, home, tile, panels button and new tab button, then my url box, a "go" button, a "find in page search" box, a box to resize the page from anything between 20% to 1000%, a security indicator and an image toggle button. Again, all these in this paragraph are on one line.

Below that is space for the tabs (opera offers tabbed browsing).

Other strengths are that there are versions for both windows and linux, and it works perfectly and nice and fast on my humble Windows 95 computer with a 300 Mhz processor and 256Mb RAM so if you've got a gaster machine you'll be humming along.

Oooh, and there's an option to block pop-ups too.

Netscape 7 is nice but all the mozilla browsers crash on my system after a decent number of windows or tabs are open. Opera wins for me anyway with the ease of customization.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phillyBurbs.com:
    With all its problems, I still use IE. The reason is simple, more than 90% of our visitors use it. I like the "firsthand" experience; I see what they're seeing, both on our site and the so-called competition. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IE 6 keeps crashing on me, despite (or because of...? ) endless Windows Updates...

It could be caused by something local on my machine, of course, but I can't afford to rebuild right now.

It isn't just that the browser crashes, it usually takes Windows 2k down with it. (Which takes some doing)

I just downloaded Firefox. I'll see how that works out.

Radegast:

Given that, what you're doing makes sense.

Have to say, haven't had a lot of crashes or locking up with IE. I usually keep three or four windows open, in addition to Outlook Express (for e-mail) and it's pretty steady.

Karl, in fairness, when IE crashes, I usually have many more instances open (15 - 20) and I think Outlook has a hand in it as well.

Still, it's annoying that you can't just force close the browser to recover, and your OS becomes inoperable.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Karl,

I appreciate your need to keep using IE to make sure you see what 90% of users see, but your stance against parasiteware should include an attempt to wean your users off the product that caused all these problems in the first place.

Put a FireFox download button on your site - each user you wean off IE is another user you innoculate from parasite drive-by's.

And then one day you'll find it's no longer 90%.

Drewbert:

Point taken! I've toyed with the idea of building a Web surfer's section for the site - with base information on parasiteware, etc. - maybe built as an extension of our technology news channel. I'm developing goals & objectives for my team now and this might be a good one to give someone as a project.

Thanks for the poke!

ABW Ambassador
    Firefox just feels mushy to me, something not right.

I like alot about opera, but not the way it has problems with some tables/frames/images. And its annoying habit of not really ever leaving memory until you power down.

The bad thing is - once you play with them all, you are unhappy with any of them, they all have their strengths and weakness. Like Karl, I use IE just because that is what most of my users use.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Opera is the best in my opinion (you pay for it, but the small investment is well worth it).

Don't take my word for it, take a look at their website and read the thread at webmasterworld about this topic.

One really nice thing I forgot to mention about Opera is that it remembers where you left off last time. So you can close it with, say, 50 different windows open and the next time you open it, it can go right back to where you were on all those 50 pages,

the most annoying thing IE 6 to me
    is that the font size adjustment button do not work
    on many websites(too tiny text) I visited.

Secondly, IE with (useful) toolbars installed is
    no longer good as primarily browser, become very slow and crash other software

I am an opera fan also.

I use all browsers available; I want to know what my audience is viewing. In this business you need to find a way to please as many people as possible.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread