Best type of video file for website?
    I am adding videos to the website and I see several types of files:
    .avi
    .qt
    .mov
    .mpg
    .rv
    .dcr

What is the best type of file to put on the website? Is there one type of file that will play with most plugins/players or should I put more than one type of file there and give the option to chose which plugin/player the viewer wants to use?

ABW Ambassador
    Choosing the correct video codec is just the first step. Some codecs will allow you to make the file very small while still rendering a good quality image/audio. Some other codecs (like MPEG, AVI) are more often used with less compression so your files will be far too large for web use. As to what is the most ubiquitous codec on browsers - well that is never a sure thing. Where I work we provide 3 different file formats just to be sure. I am a fan of Flash movies and QT but WMV produces a nice small & great looking video.

Here are a couple of pointers for web video: Remember to always de-interlace, boost your gamma and reduce your framerate to 12 to 15 fps.

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks CanadianDave. It looks like this might be a bigger project than I can handle.

ABW Ambassador
    I didn't mean to talk you out of providing video - why not just choose one format and start small and make changes as needed. Every Windows PC is shipped with Movie Maker that will output nice small .WMV files. It would be great place to start - especially because it is free to get started!

check out my post over here http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129795 about progressive vs streaming. You might want to just upload your videos to someplace like BLIP.TV, let them transcode/convert to Flash Video, then embed the videos on your website. The plus side: you get to use THEIR bandwidth, not yours. And its harder for users to take your video with them when they go.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; April 16th, 2010 at 08:02 AM. Reason: removed link spam

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Vimeo and Youtube are great options as well.

When on a Youtube page you can see the embed code on the right side.

Try copy pasting that into a webpage of yours.

http and a telephoto
    One of the things a merchant doesn't want to do is embed videos that will take their shoppers away to other sites. So I don't recommend they embed videos from YouTube. They should *post* all their videos at YouTube to drive traffic to their own site, but not use it as a player for their merchant site.

Also, Shareasale allows merchants to add videos to a player for affiliates to use, but the videos can't be uploaded to Shareasale and have to be somewhere that the video, in flv version, is available to be streamed. I'm looking at Vimeo as an option for merchants, they have a paid version where you can have a player without any outbound links and not click to take you to Vimeo, but there is a clause about not using for commercials. I need to contact someone over there about that.

The other option is Amazon media hosting, but you don't know the costs in advance and for a small site that isn't going to have a lot of media streamed at first I'm wondering if that will be overkill.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

.flv format would be the best. In the rare cases where the visitor's computer does not have flash or the latest version of it, flash is easy and free to download and install. I make videos with camtasia.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Affiliate Manager
    CanadianDave - you did not talk me out of putting the video up. I know it is something I MUST do. There is just a bigger learning curve than what I realized.

Thanks everyone for helping me out.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread