CJ Should Change New Program Recruitment Emails
    I received an email last week from GoPro asking me to join their program. I did some research and decided to join their program.

My application was denied. I wrote to them asking why they had asked me to join their program if they were planning to deny my application.

I received this response from the GoPro affiliate manager:
    "CJ does not allow us to select individual companies to send email to. We are only allowed to select very LARGE categories of publishers to send email to if we are interested in recruiting new affiliates. As a result of this, some publishers received email from us who are not in our target groups.

I apologize if this was an inconvenience to you."

This is ridiculous. So I will be bombarded with emails asking me to join when the company has no intent of approving my app?

Don't you think a technology company (CJ) should be able to provide merchnts the ability of?
    1) Selecting who they really want to invite into their program
    2) Auto-approving affiliates who they have recruited

I'm curious to see what others have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    This is ridiculous.
    Agreed.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

Affiliate Manager affiliateaholic's Avatar
    CJ Merchants are only allowed to send paid recruitment emails to potential affiliates while other networks' merchants spend no penny. So the merchants will not turn down potential affiliates out of evil.
    "[COLOR="Red"][I][B]Enthusiasm[/B][/I][/COLOR] is the greatest asset in the world. It beats money and power and influence. It is no more or less than faith in action."

[I][B]Henry Chester[/B][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by affiliateaholic View Post
    CJ Merchants are only allowed to send paid recruitment emails to potential affiliates while other networks' merchants spend no penny. So the merchants will not turn down potential affiliates out of evil.
    But CJ should have the technology in place to allow merchants to select who they send emails to.

The fact I was included in a mass email with no intention of approving my applications is ridiculous.

I spent time looking into making a decision to apply to the merchant. That time could have been spent marketing.

This method of emailing affilaites is unethical.

Affiliate Manager affiliateaholic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post

This method of emailing affilaites is unethical.
    Especially when paid to do so.
    "[COLOR="Red"][I][B]Enthusiasm[/B][/I][/COLOR] is the greatest asset in the world. It beats money and power and influence. It is no more or less than faith in action."

[I][B]Henry Chester[/B][/I]

CJ gives merchants the ability to select country and category for these recruitment emails, but there is no filter to select whether or not they want them delivered to "special/incentive" publishers which is a big issue.

My advice to any AM's running these campaigns is to change your auto accept/decline rules for applications to remove any automatic denials of groups you are targeting.

For example, if I send a recruitment campaign to the "accessories" category and I usually auto decline all special/incentive sites, I can go into my auto accept/decline rules and set a filter to manually approve all affiliates from the "accessories" category.

It's not a perfect solution but it should alleviate the issue that you experienced with GoPro.
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

It's in CJ's best interest to make recruiting difficult for advertisers since recruiting is one of their add-on services. I get pinged almost every month by their Biz Dev team trying to get me to sign-up for their recruiting services. CJ should make it easier for advertisers to recruit within the network since ultimately increased sales from new pubs in any advertiser's program means more revenue for CJ.
    Steve Root
    E: [email]steve.root@xero.com[/email]
    M: 415-608-5176

Quote Originally Posted by jclaydon View Post
    CJ gives merchants the ability to select country and category for these recruitment emails, but there is no filter to select whether or not they want them delivered to "special/incentive" publishers which is a big issue.

My advice to any AM's running these campaigns is to change your auto accept/decline rules for applications to remove any automatic denials of groups you are targeting.

For example, if I send a recruitment campaign to the "accessories" category and I usually auto decline all special/incentive sites, I can go into my auto accept/decline rules and set a filter to manually approve all affiliates from the "accessories" category.

It's not a perfect solution but it should alleviate the issue that you experienced with GoPro.
    Thanks for the info.

Every other time I sent an AM an email asking them why I was automatically denied after they recruited me, they auto approved me. GoPro is the first program not to approve my application under these circumstances.

Another issue with CJ is what they allow the publisher to disallow in regrds to emial notifications. There is an option to uncheck Advertiser messaging but that would mean that I wouldn't receive improtant info from my existing merchants.

CJ has really messed this up. A simple thing has been royally messed up by a so called technology company.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    This has little bearing on CJ and should be completely on the merchant. Sending a recruitment campaign in CJ is like sending an email campaign through a 3rd part other than they can tag affiliates according to category. If you are recruiting then you must be willing to reconsider incentive, search, coupon, etc. If not then don't use the system and do it directly per site.

just joined but if you it makes you feel better we pay .25 cents to .35 cents for every email that is opened if the person joined or not. So it is CJ's problem and i have emailed my rep many times about it. It's a stupid system but what can you do. Usually if the person is in the US i find the person that has been rejected and manually approve them. It is a annoying but it works.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; April 19th, 2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Removed reference to affiliate program. That requires a paid ad.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread