Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Performance Marketing Summit?
    Is it time to change the name Affiliate Summit?

What do ya'll think?

http://www.affiliatesummit.com/2010/...keting-summit/

Curious what others think.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Since there is now an industry trade organization with the name "Performance Marketing Association," some folks might assume that the PMA would be the organizer or primary sponsor of an event called the "Performance Marketing Summit," and there might be some blurring of reputations. How about "Performance-Based Marketing Summit" as an alternative?

Better yet, why not "Performance-Based Advertising Summit"?

The problem, of course, is that the term "Affiliate Marketing" is well-understood by people experienced in the industry, but people outside the industry (certainly legislators considering the "Advertising-Nexus Tax" language) see the word "affiliate" and assume that there's a much closer business relationship.

My gut feeling is that it would be best to keep the event name that's already very well recognized and respected within the industry. It might be wise to use an additional "tag line" (referring to "performance-based" and/or "advertising") below the event title in promotional materials.

Back in 1996 and 1997, I griped (in online discussions and some conferences) about the various terms (affiliate, associate, partner) which were being confusingly used to refer to the performance-based advertising relationship between web publishers and online merchants. At the time, I was an attorney just starting to do consulting work for online merchants, and I saw the term "partner program" as especially dangerous (because the law views a "partnership" as a special relationship where each "partner" shared liability). While very few merchants have chosen to use the P-word, nearly every merchant (except Amazon) still uses the term "affiliate program." (IANAL)

Considering the initials would be PMS, I think no, that would not be advisable. Men might be afraid to show up
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

http and a telephoto
    I don't think an established brand like Affiliate Summit should change their name anytime soon. Just my opinion of course.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark View Post
    Considering the initials would be PMS, I think no, that would not be advisable. Men might be afraid to show up
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    I don't think an established brand like Affiliate Summit should change their name anytime soon. Just my opinion of course.
    While I really like the subtle shift in the industry to use of the term Performance Marketing, these are two very valid points. Why tinker with success. (New Coke Summit?)
    Last edited by loxly; April 9th, 2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: changed my quote to match my edited post.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    (New Coke Summit?)
    Love that comparison.

My wife likes to shuffle things around in the house every once in a while. Never understand why. Some people in the industry don't seem to like the word affiliate. If we aren't affiliates what are we Performers?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    My wife likes to shuffle things around in the house every once in a while. Never understand why. Some people in the industry don't seem to like the word affiliate. If we aren't affiliates what are we Performers?
    The internet is a stage and we are merely the performers.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Part of the reason is some people feel the word affiliate is tarnished because some of the bad practices out there and the attention it's received, so change the name. But if that same behavior is out there, then you're just going to screw up performance as well. So I would keep the name, even tho I actually like performance marketing better. And I think most merchants will still call it an affiliate program, don't think performance program will take off. Gator changed to Claria but they were still Gator to me, still engaged in some shady practices and the name change didn't help and eventually they still shut down.

ABW Ambassador
    Similar question popped up in one of the SES NY sessions that Shawn was also on the panel. If I recall, he did not see a need for changing the name though another panelist (Todd Crawford?) was opining a need to change the "affiliate", "commissions" verbage and align more with advertising terminology to HELP stay clear off "nexus" stuff with "legislators".

P.S> I paraphrased the above to the best of my recollection!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Commission Junction is a global leader in Affiliate Marketing

Google Affiliate Network

LinkShare Corporation provides ecommerce businesses with a wide range of online marketing services including Affiliate Marketing.

ShareASale provides award winning technology and service which will enable you to connect with a network of established Affiliates as well as recruit new ones to your program.

I don't see the networks getting away from the term affiliate marketing. Will bet as soon as Shawn gets away from Affiliate Summit there will be even more affiliate conference trying to take his place.

Let's let the marketplace kill the market before we do it for them.

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals View Post
    Similar question popped up in one of the SES NY sessions that Shawn was also on the panel. If I recall, he did not see a need for changing the name though another panelist (Todd Crawford?) was opining a need to change the "affiliate", "commissions" verbage and align more with advertising terminology to HELP stay clear off "nexus" stuff with "legislators".
    Yeah, the was the latest when people were arguing for a change in the way we talk about the industry.

Personally, I prefer affiliate, and never had much affinity for the performance marketing name.

But I wanted to see if I was behind the times.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Collins
    You? Never!
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    You? Never!
    Watch it, wise guy.

Daniel - I think someone pointed that out on Twitter. That is actually how I first noticed it haha. I think is enough reason IMHO

AffiliateHound - The New Coke analogy is priceless!

Chuck's posts kind of sums it up. If all the major players are calling it Affiliate Marketing, it's cool.

Shawn, you are never behind on the times. Affiliate Summit is still a baby really and yet everyone has heard of it.

Keep it the same
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Collins View Post
    How can you say you are behind the times when you have that state of the art avatar?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    How can you say you are behind the times when you have that state of the art avatar?
    I am an enigma and an affiliate.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Collins View Post
    I am an enigma and an affiliate.
    You certainly are....

You may be an enigma, but it's one easily solved - the 2D bar code is encoded for blog.affiliatetip.com
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Call it what you want, but I'll always be an AFFILIATE.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I thought I was supposed to stare at the avatar until my eyes blurred it enough and I saw something. Either that or Shawn is using it to hypnotize me.
    Matt McWilliams

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I think there is a brand name behind that. My vote is for it to keep the name.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread