Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've just had my worse month for over 18 months now
    It is the first time in over 18 months I've had less than $1000.00, I guess it is nothing to do with the parasites and diversion tactics though eh? It is all my fault. I should have known everybody wanted all that crap to be downloaded onto their computers.

Thanks CJ, it's nice to see you put the thieving parasites before your ordinary affiliates.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    hi Gman
    you r not alone
    my income slow too
    the problem is google ... low traffic ... algo changes ...

i hope we'll fix it

DEFINITELY time to go indie

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Did you read the thread about kazaalite blocking CJ and other networks? I just switched a formerly-performing link from cj to clickxchange yesterday and immediately saw a conversion. Also have seen lots of damage to a ppc campaign using cj links. I contacted them on this issue and they said "Thank you for making us aware of this issue and we are looking into this matter further" - they better wake up to this!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Sales are extremely slow this month, although traffic is OK.

Maybe it's the time of the year.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry to hear your woes Gordon. Our earnings have been stedily decreasing as well but much of this is due to search engine algo changes and a penalty from one main site that has been heavily used by spammers spoofing the url which resulted in a big pr drop.

While the awareness issues are heating up, the amount of parasite installs are increasing everyday and even with new changes coming I don't expect it to get any better for affiliate marketers in general.

I saw recently where ShopAtHomeSelect was offering their users double cash back on about a dozen or so merchants (of which tigerdirect was included) if they downloaded and shopped thru their software download. I expect to see more and more of this type activity and offerings in the future too.

Add in AOl promoting UPromise heavily to their users and it doesn't get any better IMO.

Is uninstalls of parasitic software outpacing the number of installs? I personally don't think it is although I'm sure some will say it is.

The horizon is changing and BIG changes are coming but.... that doesn't mean it will be any easier for ethcial affiliates to compete agaist each other IMO.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    On the upside, sales for software that uninstalls all this crap should be huge for the next 10 years, lol.

Every time at this year I get a little nervous because my sales drop off. BUT, it always picks up again. Perhaps it's because people are on vacation, saving money for vacation, or recovering from a vacation.

Or perhaps they just don't need to spend right now like they do in the holiday season.

But it always seems to pick up in late July and August for me.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Sales are extremely slow this month, although traffic is OK.

Maybe it's the time of the year.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's more industry-specific, as our sales are up over 30% so far this month, (last month was up another 30% over the month before).

In addition, our top affiliate reached $1000 in commissions for the first time last month (and it looks as if he'll break that record this month as well), so I definitely think a number of factors are involved, but the parasites (IMO) are one of the biggest.

All things being equal...if your traffic is the same (or more), yet sales continue to slide, there has to be SOMETHING getting in between you and your commissions...

Erik

Traffic is pretty steady. AM revenue isn't going gangbusters, but if the trends hold up, the monthly total will be right about in the middle of the other months' totals for the fiscal year.

ABW Ambassador
    Gordon i doubt it parasites, remember this thread:

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...1573#942101573

I'm sure there are affiliates here having their best month ever. It's most likely something else, it being June, algo changes, more competition, the usual stuff.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zervo™:
    hi Gman
    you r not alone
    my income slow too
    the problem is google ... low traffic ... algo changes ...

i hope we'll fix it
    ~Javi <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think it's more industry-specific, as our sales are up over 30% so far this month, (last month was up another 30% over the month before).~Allpiercings
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No surprise there! It's gotten nice 'n warm all over now, so people are able to show off piercings that would otherwise be covered in clothes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm sure there are affiliates here having their best month ever. It's most likely something else, it being June, algo changes, more competition, the usual stuff. ~TrustNo1 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with that when it comes to the reason for a bad month. I've seen a decent amount of people saying they were doing fine.

But I am p*ssed at some of the new aggressive methods the parasites are up to (below).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is uninstalls of parasitic software outpacing the number of installs? I personally don't think it is although I'm sure some will say it is.~Happypoon <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think if the stats for the major parasitewares were looked at, there probably *would* be more uninstalls than installs since their bad name has spread.

But I also think new, less-known, parasites are appearing, which could be causing the overall amount of parasitic installs to rise.

Also the parasites are becoming more aggressive in promoting. Webmasters who have no intentions of pushing that crap are having it fished to their sites via CPM networks!

I caught a banner ad in Fastclick the other day that would instantly start a download-attempt if it was merely moused over! I would have gotten infected myself just by checking the campaigns if I didn't have all downloads/ActiveX set to "prompt."

Needless to say, I got that thing the heck out of my account instantly! But how many never even check what's showing?

I may not think parasites are the be-all, end-all issue, but I sure don't want my Fastclick account being used to push the junk either. It'd be shooting myself in the foot to let that run. Whether it amounts to a pellet gun or an elephant gun doesn't change the fact that I don't want to be the one putting the holes in my feet!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Perhaps an affiliate campaign is needed.

Every affiliate on ABW target keyword phrases relating to incentive shopping and cash back sites and then spill the beans on automatic downloads, privacy concerns and spyware.

Recommend a good spyware eliminator (free or affiliate link). If 100 ABWers built sites around this topic we could dominate Google for all phrases that people looking for cash back might be searching for. Or would this be libelous?

For me the biggest problem has been Google booting out my crappy pages that added little to the internet as a whole. Cant really blame them.

Gordon,

I'm sorry to say but I think it just may be competition. I'm having my best month ever and am looking at a 30% increase over last month which was also my best month ever. Last month was a 60% increase over April which was my worst month of the year.

I think one thing to be wary of is new technology. Some affiliates are pulling off some pretty spectacular code to deal with datafeeds.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

15 years and counting
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Happypoon - From one main site that has been heavily used by spammers spoofing the url which resulted in a big pr drop. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mind to tell us more? Many of my websites URL have been used by spammers for spoof emails but I don't think it's what you mean. I've not seen a big drop of PR, but it seems I'm not going any further up.
    Some of my sites, big producers, are nowhere to be found. I don't see any penalty but the traffic just died.

On March 21, I lost 53 000 unique visitors a day just from Google. I still have top rankings, the problem is Google lost more than half of their own visitors.

I'm making less and less with CJ, (starting jan 2003) but my EPC is going up steadily. I was making a fortune with a $6 EPC, I'm starving (just kidding) now with a $28 EPC.

I'm glad, I had many years to diversify my online business and time to experiment new profitable fields.

We have to face new challenges, increase competition and parasites.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by perfectG:
    Perhaps an affiliate campaign is needed.

Every affiliate on ABW target keyword phrases relating to incentive shopping and cash back sites and then spill the beans on automatic downloads, privacy concerns and spyware.

Recommend a good spyware eliminator (free or affiliate link). If 100 ABWers built sites around this topic we could dominate Google for all phrases that people looking for cash back might be searching for. Or would this be libelous?

For me the biggest problem has been Google booting out my crappy pages that added little to the internet as a whole. Cant really blame them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm up for this idea...

I think thogh it needs to be a group effort...

what do you guys think about this...

personally i think $10 for a domain name an few few hours building a site.. would be worththe effort...

we sure could make our voice heard!

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Why do you need a domain name? Just add a page to your existing shopping site.

ABW Ambassador
    For me it is just the oposite as Gordon posted. My earnings are steadily rising and my top SE positions keep no matter what changes google or Yahoo made.

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    Gordon,

It's only the 16th, maybe you still have time to make $1,000.

I'm having my weakest month in about 6 months... barely over $550, so I'm still hoping to make my $1,000 goal this month.

Two of my best merchants cancelled their affiliate programs, which has led to some of my problems.

Best wishes,

Lily

My income has stayed steady, with May being the best month this year so far, probably thanks to Mother's Day.
    Traffic is up too.
    I don't rely on the search engines, I have pretty loyal visitors that run adaware and spybot quite often. Most of my shoppers are pretty well informed. They talk about adware and spyware quite often in my forums.

I'm mostly a lurker. My sales have been down a bit this month as well. I attribute it to summer as much as anything. In my former job (a web retailer/wholesaler) summer was always our slowest season. This is my first June as an affiliate marketer (I started last September) so I don't have anything to compare with.

Connie, I read your reply and the thought ran through my head "Why is there a forum on a site about flamingos?" I visited your site (awesome, btw) and, needless to say, was straightened out. LOL

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Gordon,

I hope it picks up for you. My last 3 months have all been pretty much on par with each other with just a slight monthly increase but it is a pretty high par so I cant say things are worse this year. On average I am doing about 600 - 800% better compared to the same month of last year. The last 3 months were my 3rd,4th and 5th best months ever in reverse order.

I am a bit worried being totaly dependent on G00g1e as yahoo dropped my along with everyone else.

What I have done to combat the adware issue is to make my HELP link very obvious on every page and detailed ad-blocking and parasiteware there. That way I feel I am not waving a red flag under customers noses, my keywords are not being affected by added non related blurb and if someone gets stuck or can't purchase due to ad-blocking it is the most obvious place they would look.

All the best,

DPG

I agree... Shit month all round!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Try this:
    http://www.trafficturbocharger.com/

You can seduce the search engines and get top rankings and make lots of money. Cool thing about it is that it generates thousands of constantly updating content rich pages, so you don't even have to do any work. If content is king, it's the key to the treasure room. That's awesome

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    You can seduce the search engines and get top rankings and make lots of money. Cool thing about it is that it generates thousands of constantly updating content rich pages, so you don't even have to do any work. If content is king, it's the key to the treasure room. That's awesome <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are a newbie merchant on Shareasale. I keep reading posts about Parasites affecting pay-outs. Is there something we should be doing (as a merchant) to prevent these things?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast