The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Is appearence value added the same as real value added when it comes to marketing?
    I was thinking either people are dumb or they just aren't paying attention. But after thinking about ti for a while, I came up with the above question and it all started with a drug commercial. I won't mention the drug but everyone in america has probably seen it if they watch TV.

The commercail goes like this (please forgive my spelling of things), it seems there are drugs called statins who reduce the bad choresterol in ones blood. Apparently doctors recommend theses alot. But there are two other elements of fats in the blood the good choresterols and the triglyerides and the drug that is being marketed when used with a statin raised the good and lowers the other bad. They want you to take this drug with the statin. There is a triangle thing whatever. But if you listen to the commercial, it plainly states that there is no evidence that taking this drug lowers you heart attact risk than taking a statin alone. If it doesn't lower the risk why take this stuff?

So I thought as I said above, either people listening to this are dumb or just aren't paying attention. But there isn't a lie in the commercial, the drug probably does what it says, lowers the trigyercides and raised the good choresterol, those are apparent value adds. But they are meaningless, the only reason to take this drug is for it to lower your risk of having a heart attack. If it doesn't do that it is in effect ineffective.

So for marketers such as affiliate marketers does it really matter if you add real value to your site to market visitors or is apparant value adding good enough? If there are people who just adding apparant value (not accual value) does this effect the rest of us? Is apparent value more important than actual value that isn't perceived? Is a call to arms ("Click here for important info" or "buy now", etc) apparent value but not actual value? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

P.S.
    I am also curious if anyone is taking this drug and if they are are they going to continue taking it?
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

The answer to your embedded "does it really matter" question -> Does it really matter if you add value (truth, education, real good vs. perceived good, etc.) - at least to me, is "It's personal".

Who am I? What am I more interensted in: Myself. Making money (above all else).

I'm not a candidate for sainthood but I work pretty hard at putting Self (us all) interest about self (little, petty, greedy, me me me) interest.

Discerning me-ishness from ME-ishness isn't a slumbering task. The human mind is a ready agency for defining ME=me, and lots of folks see it that way, i.e., the purity and sanctity of capitalism, the wonderousness of unregulated free markets, the righteousness of let the buyer beware, etc.

You decide if it's appearance or substance that matters. You (and I) decide that IS substance.

I don't think we ever, in any way, escape the judgment/consequences of the choices me make. At best (worst?), when we go about inflicting our little-me on others (often attributing sole/exclusive accountatility "to the other"), we actually pay the price for it though we either don't know it (we are so blind, so self-certain) or we anesthetize against awareness/consciousness/confronting our little-mes (live it up, endless self-indulgence) or we see solace in non-judgment (peers of like ilk, us vs. them), etc.

You and I decide. You and I add or subtract from the quantum/measure of benevolence/malevolence in the universe. Add value. Add BS. You live with it. You die with it. It is or can be a central stuggle of any human being's life: to be a good and decent man/woman, every day, every moment, in every choice we make.

On my best day I'm possibly going to a heaven where I'm the trashman. If so, chances are that I'll be grateful.
    I'll get the hang of it eventually. :0)

People usually know if their "bad" cholesterol is high (the LDL), or if they have a family history of high cholesterol, which causes heart disease, heart attacks and so on. I think the commercial is tapping that key word phrase "lower your bad cholesterol" and from there, the listener(customer) some what turns a "deaf ear". When I go to McDonalds, I know my Big Mac is not going to look like the ones in the commercial. But in my mind, I've got pictures of the perfect Big Mac.

As far as affiliate marketing goes..as long as "we" aren't deceitful in the presentation of our product or service, all should be good. I've got to sleep at night and I just couldn't if I knowingly deceived a customer. The "better than it really is" approach may work for some.

Apparent or perceived value is only as good as the customer wants it to be.

Beach: re the drug, it never says it lowers the bad cholesterol, the statin does that, it implies it lowers the triglyerolides and raised the good cholesterol. But I still can't get over the line that clearly says ( and not even in a softer or faster voice so you can't hear it.) that is doesn't reduce heart risk anymore than a statin alone. When it comes on again, see what it is saying.

Back the the affiliate marketing. but the comemrcial is not lying at all, it is just misdirecting you. (I'm sure the FDA told them they must add the truthful line about the effectiveness, lack there of, of the drug) I read in a book about how statistics can lie, that a cigarette company promoted itself like this. There was a study that listed the cigarettes from which has the most harmful chemicals to least. As it turns out the different was negligible but one had to be listed as the best and they promoted it that way. The FDA also made them stop a little while later.

If "Apparent or perceived value is only as good as the customer wants it to be. " is it better to have real value or perceived value? I guess the question is better to not sleep at night because you are decieving your visitors or not sleep at night because you aren't earning any money?
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

I think the "real value" will withstand the long run. I couldn't sleep knowing I was deceiving my customers. I don't make lots of money at affiliate marketing, so if that was the case, I'd be a zombie.

I think, the majority of consumers are becoming better shoppers and will see through the "misdirection" that many advertisers throw at them. I remember taking a psychology class and our professor told us the "Retsyn" story. "Clorets...now with Retsyn..for cleaner fresher breath!!" People had no idea what "Retsyn" was..but they bought tons of Clorets gum. Turned out to be a great marketing ploy...Retsyn turned out to be nothing more than ..........vegetable oil.

The public perceived that Retsyn was the cure all to bad breath. Did Retsyn add value..no. Was Clorets being deceitful..no. They just played on the psyche of the not knowing public.

I just want to put out a good site with good products, if my competitors have the talent and time for the smoke and mirrors..good luck to them.

A very broad generalization, but many would rather pop a pill than take care of themselves to begin with (exercise, good diet, reducing stress, etc.)...this is the market that's targeted—Big Pharma knows this audience doesn't want to read between the lines—they happily accept "perceived value" because they think it fits in with their values. As BeepBeep said,
    Add value. Add BS. You live with it. You die with it. It is or can be a central stuggle of any human being's life: to be a good and decent man/woman, every day, every moment, in every choice we make
    Can you look at yourself in a mirror without flinching when you decide to promote a product or service?

Re: "calls to action"—you could slice & dice the ethics on this one for years. To me, if you're in business, no matter which...you must lead a potential customer or client to make a decision. To think that all you have to do is "just present the facts" & let the customer make a careful, well-considered decision doesn't describe the nature of buying. The reality is that most buying turns on a combination of actual & perceived value—which is the ka-ching trigger. We all have our illusions (Beachcom and his perceived Big Mac), that's an inescapable fact of being human.

There are those who live to 95 drinking whiskey & smoking up a storm—they are happy campers. Jack LaLanne does chair pushups in his 90s—he's a happy camper too. So whose way of life is right?

Actual value to me lies in offering products or services that are useful/helpful/ethical (which is still subjective), not in a call to action, which has more value to me rather than the potential customer (who maybe you helped be very happy by making a purchase they'll enjoy).

Out of biz example: Did you ever impatiently wait as a date or spouse tries to decide on a restaurant or movie & "help" them lean towards a decision that you favor?
    Last edited by JoyUnltd; April 11th, 2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: typo + clarification
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    So for marketers such as affiliate marketers does it really matter if you add real value to your site to market visitors or is apparant value adding good enough?
    It may not matter to my site visitors, but it does matter to me. I want to do what's best for others, not just what's best for me. I think it works out better in the long run, too.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Beachcom did you ever notice the difference between a MacDouble and a Big Mac, is one slice of bread, some lettuce and special sauce? and the difference in price is $2.50. Is that special sauce really worth $2.50, I wonder if you can convince a macdonalds employee to put the special sauce on the MacDouble for free, sort of like asking for mayo. You know I should try that sometime.

Regarding the restaurant, you can avoid the problem by instead of asking "Do you want to see 'a' movie?" asking instead "Would you like to see that clash of titan's movie with me?"

In the last few years, I have been spending more thought on how I am being marketed, especially gorilla marketing.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Michael: Maybe I'm reading too much in your answer. But you can either do what is best for other (i.e. visitors) or what's best for you (best commission) you can't do both. Although what is best for you and the customer may be identical at times. So is it what's best for them or what's best for you?

On my site, I sort my dresses/jeans/gifts/etc. by logical categories, I don't take into consideration what the commisison rate of the merchant is.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Beachcom did you ever notice the difference between a MacDouble and a Big Mac, is one slice of bread, some lettuce and special sauce? and the difference in price is $2.50. Is that special sauce really worth $2.50, I wonder if you can convince a macdonalds employee to put the special sauce on the MacDouble for free, sort of like asking for mayo. You know I should try that sometime.
    You can do that. I do. It's also called a "Ghetto Big Mac". They call the sauce "Mac Sauce". (I know it's "Special Sauce" in the song.) I actually prefer no lettuce on my sandwiches (and could care less about the extra bread), so I love the McDoubles with Mac Sauce.
    Michael: Maybe I'm reading too much in your answer. But you can either do what is best for other (i.e. visitors) or what's best for you (best commission) you can't do both. Although what is best for you and the customer may be identical at times. So is it what's best for them or what's best for you?
    What's best for them often is what's best for you, even if it's not immediately obvious. For instance, many coupon forums have tons of discussions about promotions and coupons for stores that don't have affiliate programs. It seems like "leakage". But it draws people in and makes them the "authority" on promotions. Would you rather than 50,000 visitors and monetize everything they do or have 1,000,000 visitors and monetize 50% of it?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread