Anyone have a online company they are happy with that offers stock images that we an use on our web sites?

Thanks!!!
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I can recommend a few that I've used:

GETTYIMAGES.COM
    - Higher priced, very professional. Images between $49.00 and $149.00 for Web-Quality (72 DPI) images. I use this place for my high profile customers.

PHOTOS.COM
    - Moderately priced. You pay for a month worth of unlimited downloads (well, 50 per day they say). They have recently updated their images, very nice stuff. You see a LOT of photos.com images on banner ads and advertisements.

iSTOCKPHOTO.com
    - I love this place. Images are $.50 each for web quality images. It is basically a meeting point for designers and web designers/print designers.

I recommend all three, it all depends on your budget.

Good luck! If you need any design help ... I'm relatively inexpensive to hire

Jason

Jason,

Just what I was looking for. Thanks!!!!
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I love www.veer.com for new and cutting edge images, but the ones Jason reccommended are also great.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Naw, naw. Forget those big places. I think the disk at www.50pictures.com is definitely what you should get!

(I ought to think so, after all I took the pictures!)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

http and a telephoto
    Nice, Leader I am putting together some cd's of images too, but have been a bit lazy about it...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I've found the best source is a 2MP digital camera for the majority of what I use.

ABW Ambassador
    Here's two that I use a lot. Good selection & free. I learned about them in a previous thread here:

Stock Xchange Big user-submitted selection of all kinds of photos. Some require permission or notification if used for commercial purposes but most don't. Out of courtesy, give credit for any you use. Free registration.

Gimp-savvy.com Lots of nature, animal & forest photos from NOAA & the Fish & Wildlife Service.

Another site I like for historical research is the Library of Congress American Memory Collection. Not sure what use restrictions there are. The site is down for maintenance now.

Wayne

plus if you only need a small pic... you can grab that frmo getty without a watermark.. and use it LOL... without paying.. screw paying.. I dont have time to pay for images..

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LastHope:
    plus if you only need a small pic... you can grab that frmo getty without a watermark.. and use it LOL... without paying.. screw paying.. I dont have time to pay for images.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I knew who you were and knew your website I would be checking it out and reporting you. I am a professional photographer and attitudes like yours are costing ME money. YOU ARE A PARASITE!!!! Stealing is stealing, copyritten images are NOT yours for the taking because they happen to be on the web.

You just made a BIG enemy!!!!! I'll be watching!!!!!! and I'll be watching my own site stats now too, if you hotlink or steal images from me, you will be in court so fast your head will spin.......

EDITED TO ADD:
    If you doubt me you can ask another member of this board that incurred my wrath for using images without permission, she thought she had permission and did not and promptly removed the images in question once the situation was clarified.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loxly:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LastHope:
    plus if you only need a small pic... you can grab that frmo getty without a watermark.. and use it LOL... without paying.. screw paying.. I dont have time to pay for images.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I knew who you were and knew your website I would be checking it out and reporting you. I am a professional photographer and attitudes like yours are costing ME money. YOU ARE A PARASITE!!!! Stealing is stealing, copyritten images are NOT yours for the taking because they happen to be on the web.

You just made a BIG enemy!!!!! I'll be watching!!!!!! and I'll be watching my own site stats now too, if you hotlink or steal images from me, you will be in court so fast your head will spin.......

EDITED TO ADD:
    If you doubt me you can ask another member of this board that incurred my wrath for using images without permission, she thought she had permission and did not and promptly removed the images in question once the situation was clarified. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have two things to say on this matter:

1. opcorn:

2. In Before The Lock!!!
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> screw paying.. I dont have time to pay for images.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    What a shining example of personal ethics!

Parasites come in all forms, Deborah.

Wayne

I just received a letter from Getty wanting me to send them $2000.00 for using two of their images. Apparently they have sent me other notices, but I the only mail I usually open is checks. Too much junk mail, I toss it without opening. Thats what I told the guy when I called him, also told him the site hadn't been updated in 3 years, he must think I am crazy. Anyways this letter was thick and from a collection agency so I opened it.

Now I know I have never stolen any images so I called Getty right away to try and find out what the heck they were talking about. They were both images from merchants I am affiliated with. One image was a poster. I explained to the guy what an affiliate is and he said he didn't think there would be a problem. After looking around the web it seems they are sending a lot of these notices out and have been for years.

Well who knows what will come of this but it did finally motivate me to take down and old site that I have been meaning to get rid of for years. Don't steal images, you get caught even when you don't steal!

I had a newspaper steal images from my website for a print magazine... which they were actually stealing from my merchants (via my site). I sent a VERY strongly worded email to the editor-in-chief (twice).. and received a huge apology saying he was under the impression his journalist received permission. I broke the news to him they were not my images to redistribute, or grant permission, and if he wanted to use them, he would have to contact each store. Which he obviously didn't. It was a previous issue.

Not only did they use 6 photos from my site as the cover of their magazine (which were used specifically to match content), they stole my text, word for word. With a teeny tiny vertical credit on the side of the page as a "source".

On another note, I've built my site "image" using iStockPhoto illustrations, have discovered brilliant artists there. One day (when I can afford it!), I will commission custom imaging for my site. In the meantime, I happily pay $5-$10.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I am assuming one could use a Software Package of Art for images. I got a package called "Big Box of Art" at Best Buy. Have read and reread their terms. From what I am seeing, one can use the art in your own works, pages, etc., but not sell or display it as an art collection for others to download. Also they require you use a copyright statement attributing credit to "all licensors - all rights reserved". Correct me if I am wrong in thinking I can use this art. There are some nice photos in the collections.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I joined a site last night and bought a few images. BigStockPhoto.com prices start at $1 if you are going to need a lot of images, I paid $2.50 each since I only needed 3.

Seems cheap enough, you get to support some independent photographers and artists and you don't have to worry about someone suing you for copyright violation.
    Last edited by knight01; October 23rd, 2007 at 09:53 PM. Reason: didn't mean to create a link
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I like clipart.com, but I haven't shopped around much. What I like though, is that if you get a year's subscription you get a CD filled w/ good photos.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope
    plus if you only need a small pic... you can grab that frmo getty without a watermark.. and use it LOL... without paying.. screw paying.. I dont have time to pay for images..
    Wow. Not good. For people who do not want to pay, there are plenty of free images that can be used for something as simple as permission and a link back to the photographer. Doesn't seem like much to ask for, even from "busy" people like yourself. Play fair..
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Or if you are looking for a place where you can find free photos you can go here:
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Most of them arent as great as on the websites where you have to pay for them, but you can still find some great pictures there.

You will have to read their TOS before posting them on your websites.

Hope it helps!

sxc.hu is the free one, it contains high resolution photos. I always use this one

Always carefully check copyright usage with each site, some may require attribution to photographer for each image used so I've passed up on these. But others only require an email or a post to let them know how you're using the image or a link to their website (somewhere on yours). There is no way to verify model releases, so if you're using an image with identifiable people in it, you may want to contact the photographer to be on the safe side.

Other free image sites:
    http://www.morguefile.com/
    http://www.adigitaldreamer.com/gallery/
    http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/
    http://www.mayang.com/textures/
    http://www.cepolina.com/freephoto/
    http://www.turbophoto.com/Free-Stock-Images/
    http://www.openstockphotography.org/
    http://www.vintagepixels.com/
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

One of our customers runs a great free stock photo site:

http://stockvault.net/

Quote Originally Posted by northernstudio
    Here's two that I use a lot. Good selection & free. I learned about them in a previous thread here:

Stock Xchange Big user-submitted selection of all kinds of photos. Some require permission or notification if used for commercial purposes but most don't. Out of courtesy, give credit for any you use. Free registration.

Gimp-savvy.com Lots of nature, animal & forest photos from NOAA & the Fish & Wildlife Service.

Another site I like for historical research is the Library of Congress American Memory Collection. Not sure what use restrictions there are. The site is down for maintenance now.

Wayne

I second Stock Xchange, I always find just what I need for my sites and it's free! You just can't beat that!

Valerie

Search Engine for Free Photos
    Positively awesome: http://www.everystockphoto.com/

The images come from tons of sources and you do have to agree to any license restrictions by the photographer. Another nice feature is that you can save different collections, very handy.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread