Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Looking for advice about starting a new deals site
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forum and have asked bunch of questions in another thread about using OWS software to create a deals website with Joomla as the underlying CMS (Content Management System).

I would appreciate if I could ask the experienced folks who have run such sites and what's their experience been like.

To start the discussion, some of the questions I have at the moment are as follows but please feel free to add what you think is valuable to the discussion as I may not even know the right questions to ask yet

1. Is it better to create niche deals site? For example deals only for shoes, books, you get the idea?

2. Is it a good idea to add a forum to the site? The challenge I see there is that some users could advise others to bypass the affiliate links but again I could be more paranoid here.

3. I understand that deals website can't be 100% automated. In your experience, how do you keep the manual work to a minimum or at least as minimum as possible?

4. How do you get the feed for deals? For example if I wanted to get deals from Dell and HP, should I sign up on Dell and HP directly to receive their feeds or go through CJ to get such a feed?

Thanks for your time and I'm enjoying reading through the forum.

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Hi letmein,
    Depending on your experience and the time you want to invest in your deal site will make a difference in cost. The more automated you go the more it will cost. But this gives you more time to spend on marketing and promoting your website. If you want to start a deals site I would suggest you take a look at WP Coupon (see sig). It is very easy to use and setup and allows you to update each store by a feed.

Niche sites are great and will defiantly help you get a edge over your competition (network coupon sites). But overall, I find that offering more is always beneficial.

I would not create a forum until you at least have a big following. This way you have a large user base and the forum will be interactive. I suggest you start with a blog and have users comment.

There are coupon services out there that cost so much a month and they will provide you with all the coupons for the selected merchants.

My coupon/deal website uses WP Coupon and I use CouponFeed.net's coupon service to keep it updated.

I would also suggest adding non-commission stores to your site. This allows you to capture that traffic and hope they visit a commission-paying store.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Can't help you with the automation, but yes, you would need to sign up with any merchant whose feed/products/deals you want to link to or feature.

There are many threads around discussing automation of feeds. Try a search.

Hi ParadigmWilliam,
    I really appreciate your insight and this is the kind of quality information I was looking for here. You have made valid points. You are right about the ease of use with word press in general.

CouponFeed.net provides their feed in XML, if I go with WPCoupon, does it take care of parsing XML? Also what if I had to make it work with CSV datafeeds from let other networks, let say CJ etc.

What's the difference between coupon and a deal? it may be kind of just semantic but I have seen sites that publish deals and coupons on the same site. I personally think that a deal to a customer implies that it's a great find and induce some excitement in them. This may make them take action and click the aff. link. A coupon means just a reduction in price. Is a deal and coupon site pretty much the same? Am I just rambling and need sleep ?

What do you think about the revenue potential of deals/coupons sites? Can I retire after I make one or two of them ?

I wish you great luck and success in your coupon site.

Thanks 2busy for stopping by and responding to my questions. I will search for some automation info in the forum.

Can I retire after I make one or two of them ?
    no.

Go to gugel and search for coupons on anything to see what you have to compete against.

Try to forget about retiring after building a few sites. Prepare to work long and hard to retire, no matter what route you take through the affiliate business. This is a job like any other, but you're self employed.

I was kidding but I was seriously asking though about the income potential of such sites. I know that it will depend on the traffic to the site and if it can gather a good following. If nothing else the numbers could be a great motivating factors. The competition is a good thing in that it's a healthy market to operate in.

By the way, another good article on creating branded affiliate sites is at:
    http://www.sugarrae.com/examples-affiliate-branding/
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    no.

Go to gugel and search for coupons on anything to see what you have to compete against.

Try to forget about retiring after building a few sites. Prepare to work long and hard to retire, no matter what route you take through the affiliate business. This is a job like any other, but you're self employed.

http and a telephoto
    That post on Sugarrae's blog has been posted here before, it contains good advice.

Coupon sites are going to be the hardest to get traction with and many merchants are choosing not to allow coupon sites or pay lower commission to them. If you add a forum and your members post unauthorized coupons or exclusive coupons from other sites, you are going to be responsible for that, so be prepared.

Another point that we all try to make to folks starting new sites, and a point that Sugarrae emphasizes as well, is that you need to do something different with your site that no one else is doing. How is your coupon/deal site going to be different than the thousands out there already?

These are the things you need to consider.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks loxly for your feedback and I feel special that a moderator responded to my thread
    To make it stand out...I would make the site look like a quality site, easy to navigate and easy for users to find what they are looking for. If you look at some of the sites out there, they look like classified section of a newspaper with link and banners plastered all over the place.
    I need to do more thinking about this and come up with ways to differentiate from rest of the deal/coupon sites.

To narrow down the niche further would be a good idea.

CouponFeed.net provides their feed in XML, if I go with WPCoupon, does it take care of parsing XML? Also what if I had to make it work with CSV datafeeds from let other networks, let say CJ etc.

Yes, WP Coupon automatically adds the coupons for you. It will parse the XML. It does have support for CSV but I don't like CSV personally because there is a high chance of corrupt data when importing (there is a forum topic here that address this issue). Some CSV files I usually convert to XML before I upload to my coupon/deal site if I am manually adding coupons.

What's the difference between coupon and a deal? it may be kind of just semantic but I have seen sites that publish deals and coupons on the same site.....?

A lot of merchants coupons are in fact deals (no coupon code needed), I for one am not a fan of these to much because like you said, it doesn't really excite the visitor. I think a deal is a combination of coupons and sales that make a customer feel like they got a steal. This makes them want to come back to your site in the future. My coupon site has a special section that I add deals which I think are hot.

What do you think about the revenue potential of deals/coupons sites? Can I retire after I make one or two of them ?

It can be very good, it all depends on what you put into it. About half of my affiliate income is from my coupon site and I don't pay for traffic. But like some have mentioned, its getting crowded and you need to set yourself apart from others.

I think my coupon/deal site does well is because it doesn't look like 90% of the cut/paste websites out there that are just filled with links and banners. To make a great site, focus on the visitor and make it easy for them to use your site.

Keep it simple, yet powerful
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Agreed that XML is preferred over CSV and is probably a better for the sake of validating etc but do most merchants offer their datafeeds in XML? What I have read and explored, it seems their feeds are mostly in CSV format.

Wordpress would definitely be a relatively easy way to get started. Are there others in the forum who have experience with other commercial/free solutions, I would love to hear your thoughts as well.

A good solution will be the one allows ample opportunities for customizations and be flexible enough to make the site stand out from the crowd.

Thanks for all your help.

My findings
    It looks like there are not many options for Joomla as far as the off the shelf components to setup a deals/coupons site are concerned.

What I have found is this JoomlaShopBuilder: http://joomlashopbuilder.com/index.p...252&Itemid=189

It only works with Joomla 1.5 and Googling it brings up a disgruntled customer who was promised that he could make changes to the the code but was never given un-encrypted code.

Other questions that I have are:

1. How do you decide which deals to show on the front page? If I have datafeeds from more than one sources, do I select at random?

2. I have seen the OWS admin interface, how do admin interfaces from other products compare to that?

3. How do different solutions available here at ABW compare with each other? OWS is a stand alone system.

4. The subscription to deal feeds seem kinda expensive. May be once the site is making good chunk of change, it doesn't feel that way. May be the price is not that much compared to headaches it saves you, I don't know. What's your take on it?

My eyes are set on Joomla for its various features and once you learn it, you can use it for future projects as well.

I'm living on the forum so I will waiting for the replies right here

1. How do you decide which deals to show on the front page? If I have datafeeds from more than one sources, do I select at random?

With my coupon/deal site I show the top rated coupons on my front page as well as hand picked ones that I think will convert well.

3. How do different solutions available here at ABW compare with each other? OWS is a stand alone system.

It is tough to say, WP Coupon was at one time a stand alone software but was then built on wordpress for flexibility and allowed for more expansion with other plugins. I would write down all the features you want and need and then compare all the solutions side by side and see who comes out on top.

4. The subscription to deal feeds seem kinda expensive. May be once the site is making good chunk of change, it doesn't feel that way. May be the price is not that much compared to headaches it saves you, I don't know. What's your take on it?

Yes, because most expensive feeds are all entered by hand by someone. This provides a higher quality coupon site. Some sites just can't afford to pay someone all day to sit and add coupons.

My eyes are set on Joomla for its various features and once you learn it, you can use it for future projects as well.

I prefer Wordpress over Joomla, but that was just my personal decision a few years back when I wanted to choose and learn a system. I just find there are more plugins geared towards affiliates than Joomla.

I also mentioned above about writing down your requirements and features you are looking for, post them here and that will help.

Thumbs up Superb feedback
    ParadigmWilliam you are becoming my favorite person on ABW :-) Thanks a million for your well thought out responses. I feel like someone is giving a very serious and valuable feedback. Thanks again..now onto some more discussion.

With my coupon/deal site I show the top rated coupons on my front page as well as hand picked ones that I think will convert well.

Makes sense! I guess if I'm using say multiple networks, I could select best seller from hand picked categories and then display one from each category. Or hand pick a bunch for the main display.

It is tough to say, WP Coupon was at one time a stand alone software but was then built on wordpress for flexibility and allowed for more expansion with other plugins. I would write down all the features you want and need and then compare all the solutions side by side and see who comes out on top.

Although I like the what OWS provides but feel hesitant because of lack of support for Joomla or Wordpress. I will have to compare most popular deal sites and see what's being offered. Pick some features and start with that.

Yes, because most expensive feeds are all entered by hand by someone. This provides a higher quality coupon site. Some sites just can't afford to pay someone all day to sit and add coupons.

After a while, when it becomes affordable I will have no problem at all paying
    bigger bucks for cleaner feeds.

I prefer Wordpress over Joomla, but that was just my personal decision a few years back when I wanted to choose and learn a system. I just find there are more plugins geared towards affiliates than Joomla.

Wordpress definitely takes the cake in terms of being Google's darling at the moment. It's super easy to work with. I have played with Thesis and that just take it up a notch. Without doing any hard research, looks like number and type of plugins for WordPress outnumber Joomla which is certainly a plus. I will still play with Joomla for some other type of sites just to gain practical knowledge because it certainly doesn't hurt to know Joomla.

I have seen positive reviews about this:
    http://www.reviewpluginforwordpress.com/

It mainly reads CSVs and then allows you to use values from different columns into your posts. It can be used as a way to render posts by reading the deals CSVs from networks.
    Q:I'm not sure though if the networks (CJ, SaS etc) offer free feeds of their deals?

I also cam across CouponPress : http://www.couponpress.com/
    Not sure how it compares to WP Coupon.

Another site that I have come across in my search for building sites using datafeeds:

http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5s...ate-datafeeds/

Q: Based on your experience, would you suggest any other WP solution other than WP Coupon?

Q:I assume that WP Coupon works with Amazon's Associate program as well?

I also mentioned above about writing down your requirements and features you are looking for, post them here and that will help.

Good suggestion, will report back soon with requirements and features.

Thank you sir ! you have been a great help
    Last edited by letmein; April 12th, 2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Used wrong name it's ParadigmWilliam not ParadigmShift..sorry!

there is some good advice here, however be aware that ParadigmWilliam is suggesting wpcoupon so strongly because he/she/they are the developers.
    Q: Based on your experience, would you suggest any other WP solution other than WP Coupon?
    That's unlikely to happen for the reason stated above.

Just stated the above in the interests of full disclosure!

I happen to like wpcoupon and have looked long and hard at it repeatedly.

The problems I have with it is the fact you only get a liscence for one site only, and then you need permission from them to sell the site. So it's never really yours.

Q:I'm not sure though if the networks (CJ, SaS etc) offer free feeds of their deals?

Yes, each network does have a coupon feed. CJ is http://cjbeta.com/ and SAS you can find within the affiliate back end. I do want to warn you about CJ's coupon feed, its not the greatest. There is a lot of feedback about it here (most negative because it lacks a lot of features and coupons).

I also cam across CouponPress : http://www.couponpress.com/
    Not sure how it compares to WP Coupon.

CouponPress is a theme as WP Coupon is a software program plus a theme.

Well, as you imaged I do promote WP Coupon. But I do know that WP Coupon is not for everyone. I encourage you to look around and see what best fits you and has the features that you need.

Q:I assume that WP Coupon works with Amazon's Associate program as well?

Yes

A barrage of querstions
    Hi ParadigmWilliam,
    I appreciate your help for taking the time to answer the questions.

1. Does the WPCoupon allow to be installed on multiple sites? If you could address what ToughTurkey mentioned above , that would be great.
    2. From your previous post looks like WPCoupon can be used as a plugin but I wanted to confirm if it is a plugin that can be used with third party WP themes? Say I want to use Thesis (http://diythemes.com) because they are one of the best in WP theme space but use WPCoupon as the backend for coupon/deals related functionality.
    3. I couldn't find information about the coupon feed that WPCoupon provides. What doe the plans cost? What merchants do they cover etc?
    4. Practically speaking how much of the update process for coupons/deals is dynamic? Is it dynamic when importing the deals and once the deal is published, is there a real time check with say the provider of the deal to see if the deals has expired?
    5. Is there an admin demo? I could only see the front end demo at http://www.wpcoupon.com/_demo/
    6. How does the automatic coupon update process works? Can I connect it to various feeds from multiple networks and then have it automatically download the list. Then chose the ones I like to be displayed on the site?
    7. Do you have a forum where one could interact with others who are using WPCoupon and ask Pre-sales questions?
    8. I see few website examples on your site http://www.wpcoupon.com/gallery/, do you have links to the ones mentioned and some other sites that have been built on WPCoupon. PM me if it is not appropriate to mention them in public.
    9. The price is little steep for someone starting out. Is there a discount for ABW?

Thanks and I hope this conversation will help lot of others who may have wanted to ask same questions.

You can read more about WPCoupon in the announcement they put up for affiliates here:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128676
    Like anything there are positives and negatives, more info can help you make your evaluation.

Thank you 2busy, I had a look at that thread.

Hi iphil3, Thanks for the link and welcome to the forum, seems like your first post but helpful at that.

Hi ToughTurkey, thanks for voicing your concern and I'm sure ParadigmWilliam will be able to address some of the questions I have posted here.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Another point that we all try to make to folks starting new sites, and a point that Sugarrae emphasizes as well, is that you need to do something different with your site that no one else is doing. How is your coupon/deal site going to be different than the thousands out there already?
    How about looking across the top four networks for merchants who do not have good representation of their coupons then reaching out to their affiliate manager to see if you can offer them? It will take some work to dig through the merchants but the more niche you get the bigger the conversion.

When a consumer places a product in a shopping cart and see the coupon code slot then go looking for a coupon. I know that I look for coupon codes and have a lousy experience on many coupon sites. They list specials but not the coupons I am looking for such as memory for a Dell laptop. "dell memory coupon code" Do a better job and you will have better conversion.

Even with trademark restricted brands I allow coupon/deal affiliate bid on "trademark coupon".

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    There are so many ultra strong players in coupons. How do you plan to compete?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Thanks Chuck for the valuable advice! Not sure if I know all big four: CJ, SaS, ?? Going more niche is definitely a good idea but I feel like I want to create a big deal site as well. Again it could be stubborn determination but I want to do that no matter what. Wasn't aware of getting in touch with Affiliate Managers to get coupons. I was thinking more on the lines of get the datafeeds and get the deals from the datafeeds. As you can tell, I'm learning the ropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    How about looking across the top four networks for merchants who do not have good representation of their coupons then reaching out to their affiliate manager to see if you can offer them? It will take some work to dig through the merchants but the more niche you get the bigger the conversion.

When a consumer places a product in a shopping cart and see the coupon code slot then go looking for a coupon. I know that I look for coupon codes and have a lousy experience on many coupon sites. They list specials but not the coupons I am looking for such as memory for a Dell laptop. "dell memory coupon code" Do a better job and you will have better conversion.

Even with trademark restricted brands I allow coupon/deal affiliate bid on "trademark coupon".

Thanks Howard for your question.

I don't have a solid plan in place yet as I'm still evaluating different options and learning along the way about how the whole system works.

I would want a professional and clean looking site that will stand out among other sites. Make is real user friendly. I'm thinking social media marketing would be the way to go. Also go to forums dealing with frugal living and start taking part in conversations already happening there, doing soft plugs about this new site (wink wink ..that's my future site). Also go to competitors forums and leave traces that people can follow. Not spamming but getting the site's name out there in wild web!

I get the feeling by going through the forums here, that there are some exclusive coupons that attract a certain number of visitors so that could be another way to go down the road. Granted that getting exclusive coupon would be difficult without a proven track record of good converting traffic. At least I'm assuming that it works that way!

And last is this forum where I hope I can get a good direction on how to accomplish this?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Gottlieb View Post
    There are so many ultra strong players in coupons. How do you plan to compete?

Alright, I'm back.

1. Does the WPCoupon allow to be installed on multiple sites? If you could address what ToughTurkey mentioned above , that would be great.

WP Coupon comes with a personal license. This means you can use it only for yourself and cannot give it to others to use. Or if you are business, you cannot develop and sell coupon sites. As long as you are using it for yourself, you can have multiple sites. This license type change was updated with v.2.1. Also, you can sell your coupon site but you will be transferring your license with it.

2. From your previous post looks like WPCoupon can be used as a plugin but I wanted to confirm if it is a plugin that can be used with third party WP themes? Say I want to use Thesis (http://diythemes.com) because they are one of the best in WP theme space but use WPCoupon as the backend for coupon/deals related functionality.

Yes, you can use WP Coupon with your own theme. It's not hard to implement into your existing theme.

3. I couldn't find information about the coupon feed that WPCoupon provides. What doe the plans cost? What merchants do they cover etc?

WP Coupon now uses CouponFeed.net's coupon feed. You can visit the website for more information, plan costs, ect.

4. Practically speaking how much of the update process for coupons/deals is dynamic? Is it dynamic when importing the deals and once the deal is published, is there a real time check with say the provider of the deal to see if the deals has expired?

It all depends on how much information is provided for the coupon when entered into the system. If it is from the feed provided by CouponFeed.net then it will provide all the information needed. Every time the feed is updated it will update the coupons if there are new changes. Once a coupon expires it is removed from the site. You can also manually remove coupons below a certain rating or coupons older than X days. WP Coupon was designed to be as automated as possible.

5. Is there an admin demo? I could only see the front end demo at http://www.wpcoupon.com/_demo/

There isn't one available right now. I would suggest you email WP Coupon asking for private demo to be setup.

6. How does the automatic coupon update process works? Can I connect it to various feeds from multiple networks and then have it automatically download the list. Then chose the ones I like to be displayed on the site?

Each store allows you to enter an update feed url. This feed url would contain all the coupons available for that store. You can use any source feed url as long as the feed is in the correct format (see site for format). It will add new coupons and skip already existing coupons. You can also upload coupons in batch for multiple stores.

7. Do you have a forum where one could interact with others who are using WPCoupon and ask Pre-sales questions?

There is no forum setup right now, but there is a support ticket system you can use or contact form on the WP Coupon.

8. I see few website examples on your site http://www.wpcoupon.com/gallery/, do you have links to the ones mentioned and some other sites that have been built on WPCoupon. PM me if it is not appropriate to mention them in public.
    9. The price is little steep for someone starting out. Is there a discount for ABW?

5% off any order with coupon code AFF5. There are some other promo codes found on WP Coupon, but these are for services and addons.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; April 19th, 2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Remove links to other affiliate's sites.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast