More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Is Social Networking just Traffic Exchange, Version 2.0?
    I joined MyBlogLog and within hours had an offer to exchange AdSense clicks as well as some "Members" that I didn't really want as members. So I deleted the account so as to not risk my AdSense account. I joined again, with a non-AdSense blog, mostly just to see what would happen in the course of a week or two. Very quickly, I had about 100 followers, especially since I had the Visitors Widget on my site. And I visited some blogs as well, inducing even more visitors. But all you get are visits, for the most part. People pop in, get their site to show up in the widget, and are on their way. And truthfully, I did much the same. Yes, it brought me some traffic, but what of it? I guess if you can get your blog showing up in a visitor's widget of some high traffic site, it might bring you a few people outside the network, but not too many I am guessing. And now, after a week, my traffic has stabilized to the "real amount". So I would suggest that this network and others similar (Twitter?) are simply new slightly better versions of an old failure of an idea - a traffic swap. I will concur that they are better than the old traffic-exchange-type sites since the system is not closed, but how much better? I am beginning to think they consume more time and energy than they are worth.

Note: I had planned on this post even before I saw the closed thread on "Social Networking that pays". Kind of ironic.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; April 12th, 2010 at 06:52 PM.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

That is true of many sites on the web. There are a lot of site owners trying to get noticed. I'm not sure what percentage of the traffic we are to sites, but we are on sites that allow any type of web address posting or networking.

Google knows this. That is why comment spam and other techniques used by site owners continue to be downgraded in the ranking process.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

I don't see Facebook or Twitter as "traffic swaps;" I see them more as interactive platforms that allow you some control.

I actually use Twitter as a bookmarking device but it has allowed me to interact with others At the moment I am not trying to be a leader on Twitter.

If you have developed a great site you might consider creating a fan site on Facebook.
    I have more friends on Facebook than I have in real life but I have no idea how I acquired some of them
    Many of my Facebook friends are from "ABW" and it's nice to be able to interact socially.
    Also if there is an area where you would like to increase your expertise, you'll find [or it might be possible to find] experts on Facebook and Twitter in certain areas. As an example, I follow Mike Elgan, a writer for Computer World. I followed him on Twitter after reading an article and then he invited his Twitter followers to become Facebook friends; anything he writes on either platform is usually interesting.

I think interaction is a key element to e-commerce these days. In the beginning days of the Internet a website could be like a billboard advertisement but that's not the case anymore.
    Facebook and Twitter are convenient platforms for interaction: it's up to you to use that interaction to your advantage.
    Last edited by Rhia7; April 12th, 2010 at 11:24 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Rhia7, Facebook is pretty handy I will admit, as a personal interaction tool. The interactions are "real" and there is not a traffic-swap mentality among users. I have built a fan page for one site on a personal page and I think that it has been effective to some extent. At any rate, thanks for the comments and input!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

MyBlogLog used to be a great service but it has fallen to the bottom of my list.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread