Wink New Fish Tank
    I'm finally getting back into the fish hobby. In the mid to late 90's I had a fabulous freshwater show tank filled with plants and simple angels and tetras. The soft water in Georgia made it easy to maintain. Then I moved to Florida and the hard water never allowed me to see the success I had before. So now I'm back in Georgia and settled. It was time for a new beginning. Over the weekend we picked up a new 70-gallon tank with a cherry wood cabinet and filters and equipment far advanced in technology than I am used to. It's placed in a corner in front of me here in the office.

Who cares to hear about it here at ABestWeb? Who can share their love of the hobby? I've been lurking on another fish forum for a couple years but I'd like to hear from my affiliate family here.

I'll add pictures to my blog as it progresses but right now I'm still working on water clarity.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

A long, long time ago I was bitten by the fish bug. I had 6 aquariums (aquaria?) going at one time. I actually built some of the early-style all glass (no frames) units for friends. Most were less than 20 gallons. I had even built a custom (long, narrow, low) aquarium to fit on a built-in bookshelf. If I recall correctly it only held about eight gallons - but it fit the spot and looked really cool.

Fish can be high maintenance or low maintenance depending on your preference for numbers and types of fish. Unlike larger pets (dogs/cats) you can actually go away for a long weekend without hiring a "sitter" or "walker." I had a couple of tanks where I bred a few fancy guppies. They were not high-dollar fancies, but good enough that I would "trade" them in at a local aquarium store in exchange for supplies. Classic example of the barter system in action - fish for goods.

It would be fun get get back into this hobby. But living in two places at different times of the year would make it difficult. While you can leave fish on their own for a few days, two weeks (or two months) at a time is not practical. Now I'll look for a different type of fish hobby.

I'm sure water quality technology has changed over the last 40 years. Would love to see pictures of what you are doing as you get it populated. It would be interesting to watch the growth and development of the habitat.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thanks, Bill. I love planted tanks so the goal for the next three months is to get it up and running and then enjoy without the hassle of constant maintenance. The plants take care of the fish, the fish take care of the plants and all I have to do is clip and trim and take the cuttings back to the local fish store for credit, as you mentioned. Adding water due to evaporation and checking the new filter is about all I plan to do after that.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

And the "fish cam." Don't forget the fish cam. LOL
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post

Who cares to hear about it here at ABestWeb? Who can share their love of the hobby? I've been lurking on another fish forum for a couple years but I'd like to hear from my affiliate family here.

I'll add pictures to my blog as it progresses but right now I'm still working on water clarity.
    A couple of years ago we almost took the plunge to get one. My son really wanted one and I am sure if I mentioned it again he could be reminded about yet another new obsession he could delve into. I would be so interested to read about your new found hobby. I don't have anything to add since I have zilch knowledge other than my one talk with the local pet store owner. I do know that it can be a lot of work.

Bill I am so impressed with your fish knowledge and I am sure you would have lots of ideas and info. Too bad that "Fishy Checks" would not be good keywords but maybe the category would be a good seller

I've got a nice 55 gallon with fancy guppies. It's a great accent for my basement office. Love it to death.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I've been mulling over getting an aquarium for months, so I'm going to watch this thread!

I'm allergic to cats & dogs, but would like something at home that I think would be soothing and entertaining. Plus I don't mind the responsibility.

There is one thing that puts me off the idea every time I get close.. apparently some of the fish will EAT the other fish??? I know you have to be careful what you combine, but someone told me their seemingly-compatible fish still ate the babies of another fish. Makes me shudder to think that little Nemo could disappear

True, some fish don't get along with others and I will admit publicly that I will most likely kill more fish in the next three months than swordfisherman out of Gloucester, Mass. There are simple rules and best practices I can share as I go along about setting up a tank. The only thing I will say is to do your research and be prepared to be patient. The worst thing you could do is buy a tank on a whim at WalMart and expect greatness. Hmm. Kind of like setting up an affiliate site with no clue on how to make it work.
    Greg Hoffman

A couple of things I would add. Don't buy the cheap all inclusive tank set ups. Cheap equipment will leave you frustrated with the hobby rather quickly. I have also found that a larger tank (55g) is easier for me to maintain than a small tank.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Greg if you need any input on the newer ways to setup filtration or other equipment -- just ask.

We maintain over 30,000 gallons of fish so I'm sure we can help keep your losses to minimum.

What are now using equipment wise?

How many weeks is the tank running?

What fish are in it now?
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com View Post
    Greg if you need any input on the newer ways to setup filtration or other equipment -- just ask.

We maintain over 30,000 gallons of fish so I'm sure we can help keep your losses to minimum.

What are now using equipment wise?

How many weeks is the tank running?

What fish are in it now?
    Fish? Talk to me in a week or so...

Equipment:

Reaction 4 EFU-35 canister filter

Root Therm substrate heating system

CoraLife 24-inch professional series retrofit kit.

External Thermal Heater

5 bags of Flourite

Plants:
    Amazon sword, microsword, bulbs, wisteria, ludwigia.

Have you seen an uptick in traffic now that Drs. Foster and Smith shut down their affiliate program? Joining your program now!
    Greg Hoffman

Fish? Talk to me in a week or so...

Equipment:

Reaction 4 EFU-35 canister filter
    That is not a mainstream filter, but should be fine.

Root Therm substrate heating system

CoraLife 24-inch professional series retrofit kit.

External Thermal Heater

5 bags of Flourite

Plants:
    Amazon sword, microsword, bulbs, wisteria, ludwigia.
    That looks all good.

Have you seen an uptick in traffic now that Drs. Foster and Smith shut down their affiliate program?
    Yes without question, they were big player

Joining your program now!
    Great!

Stay in touch
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Here is a post on my blog about the Gorilla Fish Tank and I throw in some life lessons about affiliate marketing as well.

Here is a picture of the tank on day 5.

Greg Hoffman

Well that didn't work. I thought they would resize.
    Greg Hoffman

Let's try this again. Here are the pictures on my blog:

http://www.internetmarketinggorilla....ice-fish-tank/
    Greg Hoffman

Greg, looks good have you considered adding a UV?
    Bob Pets Warehouse

http and a telephoto
    I used to raise betas and had more fish tanks than you could count With the glass dividers so that the males didn't eat the females and no one ate the babies.... not an easy balance. Then there were the angel tanks, then the salt tank with an anemone and a nemo There were always the tanks with mollies and neons and all that fun stuff.

But the cats and kids loved watching the 55 gallon tank with the Gouramis in it Beautiful low maintenance fun to watch fish. Well, low maintenance if you know what you are doing

Someday I will have fish tanks again, but like Bill, we kinda travel a little too much right now.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Well that didn't work. I thought they would resize.
    I deleted the post for you per your request.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; August 9th, 2010 at 10:07 PM.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Greg, looks good have you considered adding a UV?
    Bob, the cannister filter has a UV light. I turn it on a couple days a week. I do see an improvement on the algae when it's on but I don't want to burn it out. Do you have any other suggestions?
    Greg Hoffman

Greg you must run 24/7, on and off will not work, also the bulb even if working MUST be replaced every 9-12 months
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Greg you must run 24/7, on and off will not work, also the bulb even if working MUST be replaced every 9-12 months
    Ok, it's on. I'll give you my address and you can figure out how to change the bulb inside the filter early next year.
    Greg Hoffman

It's been almost a year and I still feel like a newbie sometimes, even though I've had tanks for 16 years now.

I've spent the last few weeks cleaning up the tank after the winter slow down in maintenance.

Added new tetras, worked on my chemistry to knock down algae and now my shrimp colony is in jeopardy because of the chemistry changes.

If they survive the week, I'll add new pictures to show you what the tank looks like.
    Greg Hoffman

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I have a 60 Gallon Acrylic Hexagon freshwater show tank with:

• Green Severum (queen of the tank)
    • Three clown loaches
    • Angel fish
    • Pleco

Love the stress release it provides...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I wish I could have Angel fish, but they like to eat shrimp, so I chose tetras and one dwarf gourami.
    Greg Hoffman

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    They're aggressive little buggers when there's more than one.

Had two, from the same brood, and they used to try and gang up on the other inhabitants of the tank (except for the Severum). When one died the other became very docile...

The loaches are the most fun to watch. Even when they're sleeping, which is often either upside down or on their side...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

26. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread