Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Merchants - Ever hear of Mother's Day?
    We've had various discussions about the timing of merchant offers and creative, and it always comes down to the same thing - nothing available until the very last minute.

Well, Mother's Day - one of the biggest gift-giving holidays there is - is in 23 days. This morning I've searched through the available creative of over 200 of my merchants, on four networks, and I've found THREE (count them - three) merchants who have ANY Mother's Day creative, only two of which have a Mother's Day special offer.

These three merchants will get a nice spot on a couple of my sites; merchants who come up with beautiful creative and spectacular offers on Friday, May 7, will not.

What gives?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    I'm seeing a lot more. In CJ alone there are 887 Mother's Day links and banners, didn't count how many merchants that was**. Not sure if you're working more with smaller type merchants?

**looks like over 120 merchants

Kind of disheartening to read about how big for sales Mothers Day is and then find so few creatives to advertise it. I don't work with nearly as many merchants as AffiliateHound and none of mine have anything.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    I'm seeing a lot more. In CJ alone there are 887 Mother's Day links and banners, didn't count how many merchants that was**.
    I did do this search myself a few days ago, and then it returned 8 results.

The vast majority of the results make no mention of Mother's Day, but I did find a couple more good ones from my merchants I didn't find going merchant by merchant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Not sure if you're working more with smaller type merchants?
    Handful of big ones, mostly small. But found nothing from Target and some other biggies.

Add - Nothing from Walmart, either.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

http and a telephoto
    Truthfully, we have had merchants that had Mother's Day specific creatives and banners in the past and *no one* used them, they used product links and the product links convert. So this year, I'm doing "gift guides" or suggestions. I was working on those posts before I saw this thread.

Product links on a page that an affiliate creates that the affiliate recommends as being great Mother's Day, Father's Day, Graduation, Valentine's, Holiday, Christmas etc get a heck of a lot more clicks and conversions than a banner that has a limited time use. There are threads that go back and forth over whether we need banners, whether we need 19 sizes of every banner if if we need new ones for every month etc.

If you want a specific banner for a specific merchant from me, ask away and I'd be glad to get it made. We are adding Mother's Day coupons to some of our merchants deals today, I know we are behind, but look at it as getting ready for Father's Day, Graduation and Wedding season.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

We are almost too late for Mother's Day other than the week of with flowers and candy. I'm trying to get ready for Father's Day now. You would think some of the garden and beauty merchants would be flooding us with Mother's Day promotions.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Well, Mother's Day - one of the biggest gift-giving holidays there is - is in 23 days. This morning I've searched through the available creative of over 200 of my merchants, on four networks, and I've found THREE (count them - three) merchants who have ANY Mother's Day creative, only two of which have a Mother's Day special offer.
    You inspired me:

Thanks AH!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Gift certificates are a female's best friend. You can't go wrong with them.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    For some reason my inspired link did not show up

Here it is:

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132066

Thanks again AH!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McWilliams View Post
    For some reason my inspired link did not show up

Here it is:

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132066

Thanks again AH!
    "That's what we're here for, ma'am."

-the Lone Ranger

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Kind of disheartening to read about how big for sales Mothers Day is and then find so few creatives to advertise it. I don't work with nearly as many merchants as AffiliateHound and none of mine have anything.
    My merchants lack women specific products. We get promotional opportunities from the networks and submit based on their deadline. They choose which they will promote so it can be a crap shoot.

I took a look at CJ and see under Seasonal >> Mother's Day with one merchant. I see that we made a seasonal link for SurfShelf which on my end shows up as seasonal but on on the affiliate side.

The seasonal listings (at least on some networks) are paid listings and may not make sense for all merchants.

One of the things I noticed on SAS is that when the merchants use the mass banner upload they are not given a chance to add search keywords. (unless they notice the missing bits and go back and manually edit each banner).

I know I've had mother's day stuff out there for over a year and added better ones last month, the other thing that could mess up a search is the uee of an apostrophe in the search phrase (it really depeds on how things are coded), for my stuff I also try to put "mom" as a search term.

correction... neither the mass banner or single banner upload has a search terms section, the mass banner upload does just have one alternate text field so all the banners would have the same generic text instead of one for a specific holiday. (I really should not type when I have a feaver..feel fine)

From a merchant perspective in the floral/gift category- Mother's Day sales dont really start to ramp up until later in the month---approx the week of 4/26 (up until then, there is a lot of "window" shopping. Birthday, Sympathy & other everyday occasions convert much better up until then, so we want to be sure affiliates allocate space to what is performing best- which is beneficial to both affiliate & merchant. However I'm sure if you ask the manager for something in advance to build an email or gift guide, they would be happy to provide it if they already have their offers planned & ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by red80 View Post
    From a merchant perspective in the floral/gift category- Mother's Day sales dont really start to ramp up until later in the month---approx the week of 4/26
    Agreed, I didn't start to see any significant Mother's Day sales until last week and most will be this Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Everyone waits until the last minute to think of Mom.

However, I work with almost 400 different merchants and if all of them wait until 2 weeks before a holiday to start distributing offers, a lot will just get left behind. I use a CMS for my gift site and can automate the display and removal of specific pages and promotions. I received Mother's Day creatives from a handful of merchants at the beginning of April and probably another 30 or so throughout the month. I had enough time to build pages around their promotions and initiate PPC campaigns where appropriate.

In the last 7 days I've received about 40 new Mother's Day promotions and about 20 of them will only get a banner displayed in a rotation with about 10 other merchants because they didn't allow enough time. And I refuse to spend any more 20 hour days because of someone else's idea of what's "good enough".

Merchants need to keep in mind that they usually aren't the only merchant that we're promoting. It's great to wait until the last minute if you only have to worry about one brand, but that's not usually the case with us.

So on that note, let's end this with an updated version of the old adage "A failure to plan on a merchant's part does not constitute an emergency on mine".

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread