Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    This is How Affiliate Marketing Should be Done
    I went to home depot this morning to get some fertilizer/crab grass pre-emergent to put down on the lawn. There were 2 brands to choose from, Scotts and Vigoro. Both were about the same price and both offered to do the same thing. It was a matter of choice.

As I am standing there a rep from Scotts walks up and ask me if I needed any help. We started talking and he explained some good tips on how and when the best time to apply the fertilizer/crab grass pre-emergent. He was very informative and very helpful.

I ended up picking the 40# bag of Scotts fertilizer because the guy representing the product provided something valuable to me. He actually walked away after we were done so I did have the opportunity to pick the bag of Vigoro for $4 less without feeling guilty.

I realize this example is not an actual affiliate marketing scenario, but I think you can be successful by providing some very relevant and helpful information to the customer, no matter how simple. That extra service will gain customer loyalty to a product or to a website in the case of affiliate marketers.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    That's EXACTLY what AM should be....

Spot On.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

15 years and counting
    That's a good analogy. People don't always buy just on price. Trust, confidence, information, service... are worth a few bucks.

Same reason I support local merchants for some products. If I know what I want, I go online and get a good price and order. If I need help, I find the store with experts, ask them, and buy as a reward for their service, even if it costs a little more.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

Reading this reminded me of a blog post I read awhile back on how to pre-sell. It was summed up in one sentence: Teach a man to fish, and he'll buy the fishing rod from you.

The man gave you information without asking anything in return, and because of that, you bought his product. Sums up pre-sell pretty well if you ask me. Give your readers valuable content/information and they will thank you for it.

Excellent example, S/B. That could be shared with anyone asking how to make this business work. It is a real-life example of the quote Lanadili posted.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Excellent example, S/B. That could be shared with anyone asking how to make this business work. It is a real-life example of the quote Lanadili posted.
    Ah, who cares anyway?

I heard yesterday on this very site that Affiliate Marketing is Dead -

Well, just in case they were wrong......

I think I'll do my best to provide a service that people need, have the answers that they are looking for and a solution that fits their needs.

" We're Bettering Your Life by Improving Where YOU Live It! " -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread