Creating a logo
    I am thinking of re-designing my websites and that is why I have created some threads in the Newbie FAQs about Layouts, Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), and color. One daunting task a webmaster has is creating "the right" logo.
    The best way to create a logo is with vector software and here is why:
    Ideally, logos should be created first in a drawing program. Illustration or drawing software produces scalable vector artwork making them ideal as the all-around logo design graphics software. For commercial printing, scalable EPS graphics are the format of choice and import easily into most major page layout programs for creating letterhead, business cards, and other documents. Having the original logo in any kind of scalable vector format allows for easy resizing without loss of quality even if the final logo is needed in a bitmap format.

Source: http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/softw...o_software.htm
    I have Adobe Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Illustrator CS3. I know that there probably is a latest and greatest version like CS5 but CS3 is what I have and I consider myself lucky enough to have those programs.

If you do not have any type of an illustration program, don't despair -- here are two open source programs:
    GIMP and Inkscape

No matter what type of illustration program you have, you can go to Google specify the name of the program you would like to work with and type "create vector logos" after the program and you'll see many tips and tutorials for creating logos
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Rhianna:

you're the BEST... I've been looking for something like this. In the "best world" my son who is an artist and computer geek will do these for me.... but I need to learn how. Thanks for the tip(s).

Hi Lindy,

Thanks for the compliment.
    There are other programs that could create logos, I did not write a definitive list but it's handy to know about the 2 main open source programs because software can be expensive.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Favicon for each web page too
    I suggest you also make a Favicon and put it on each web page. If you do not have one, the Search Engines will show it as an error and the bandwidth they use may be more than if you had a Favicon on your web pages.

There is a free Favicon maker you can use on the Internet (Google for Favicon free or something like that)

The GIMP that you mentioned is as powerful as Adobe Photoshop and it is free.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Favicon, Lanny
    That's something that could definitely be/is related to the logo.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by barbaragreer02 View Post
    I do designing 'cause I'm an artist and in editing and creating designs i used CS3, and thanks for suggesting it helps me to get some ideas.
    If you go to a bookstore, you'll see magazines and books featuring CS5 but if you go to Google you can type in the version you have and then type vector tutorials immediately after that and you'll see many
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

good info Rhia, for logo creation, the most important part is concept and vision... as many people first illustrate their concepts on draw because the hand works faster than creating a line at vector software.... you might agree to me....

btw, i liked inkscape too whenever my software bumps me up.... i use it too....
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]Craig Stephen[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [URL="http://Logoinn.com/affiliate-program"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Sienna"][B][SIZE="1"]Logoinn.com[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL] | [SIZE="2"][URL="http://Logodesign247.com"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][URL="http://www.logodesign247.com/affiliate/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Logodesign247.com[/COLOR][/URL][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE]
    [EMAIL="affiliate@logoinn.com"][SIZE="2"]Contact Us[/SIZE][/EMAIL] | [SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=30741"][COLOR="Black"]Full [B]PPC[/B] Allowed / [B]30%[/B] flat commission / Unlimited Cookies [/COLOR][[B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Logo Design[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Red"]24/7[/B][/COLOR]][/URL][/SIZE]

Hi Craig Stephen -- I totally agree
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

URL for site I used to make my Favicons
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion about the Favicon, Lanny
    That's something that could definitely be/is related to the logo.
    Rhia: You're welcome. Here's the URL of the web site I used to make the Favicons for my web sites:
    http://www.html-kit.com/favicon/
    After you have the Logo, you can make the Favicon free. HTH! Lanny

That's excellent. Thanks, Lanny, your suggestion will help lots of people.
    I did not think of that, I'm glad you mentioned it.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Rhia - you're welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    That's excellent. Thanks, Lanny, your suggestion will help lots of people.
    I did not think of that, I'm glad you mentioned it.
    Rhia: You're welcome. My pleasure. I am learning a LOT about Affiliate matters on ABW and if I can help someone here, a little, that's super. I remember when I did not have Favicons on my web sites, seeing errors, and that was using Bandwidth, so now I have Favicons and possibly use less Bandwidth. Lanny

Here is a step-by-step tutorial for making a logo with Photoshop CS2.
    I will be using Adobe Photoshop CS2 to design this logo. Many swear by illustrator, but I believe for the purposes of making a tutorial, it'd be best to use photoshop as it will cater to a wider audience. More people have used photoshop than Illustrator. Besides, I've created 95% of all my logos in Photoshop, so take what you will.
    The article begins with exploring the information you will need in order to think of the logo's best design and then a thorough step-by-step tutorial follows:
    How to make an awesome logo
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Here's a really cute tutorial that could help you with a general process to creating a cartoon character -- it's a bird with googly eyes. Who knows, maybe your site caters to people who buy food and products for their pets; you could easily create a dog, a cat, or a fish with googly eyes and use it in your logo.
    Create A Vector Art Twitter Bird Character Icon In Adobe Illustrator

Think about it: the Simpson cartoons are people with googly eyes
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Here are some examples of logos for inspiration:

35 Type Based Logos

30 Clever, Creative Logos
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Another great resource is dribbble dot com. Great social media platform for graphic design. Its a great way to see styles and trends that are current.
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

Smile
    The information in this thread is still a good thread about logos.
    I'd like to add:

Improve your logo design: 20 pro tips and tricks! | Creative Bloq
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread