I'm an Email Hoarder
    I've been watching the program about hoarding and I just realized, I'm a terrible email hoarder. I don't know why I don't just trash 99% of it, but I don't. And forget moving it to sensible folders... I have over 10,000 in my in-box. Another 5,000 or so in various folders. And that is just my main email. My gmail accounts are almost as bad.

Maybe I could try to get on the hoarder program and then they would hire an email organizer to help clean it all out The last time it was this bad my computer crashed. It was such a feeling of freedom for awhile.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Every now and then I just delete everything and start over again.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    My pooter crashed in early December I think it was...

Lost all of my email addys, bazillions of emails in tons of folders..

I was really ticked off and then ( still ) bummed....

But life goes on eh?

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

I try to clear my Inbox pretty quickly (I only have about 200 non-new messages there), but I like to keep ALL of my email indefinitely. I know that I'll never need most of it, but I like being able to search and see previous conversations or contacts, find old schedules, etc. if and when I need them.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I used to be a hoarder of Leeann's magnitude but now my wife and I share a hunk of mail server from GoDaddy with my share at 200M so I have a savers folder and a fairly tight inbox with a usage thermometer staring me in the face reminding me to clean up

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I do my best to reply and delete immediately. Although sometimes my inbox gets up there to say 100 messages lingering around. Can't say I've ever had more than 100 or so messages hanging around in my inbox, but I tend to keep some useless stuff filed in various Thunderbird folders.

I purge my Trash folder a few times a year, but I've never deleted anything from my sent folder. So I guess that makes me a "Sent" email hoarder

http and a telephoto
    I use Eudora with LOTS of folders. I have 2 installs on my computer, one personal stuff that goes back as far as the last time I had a hard crash and hadn't backed up (looks like 2002). The second was started in 2005 when I started with CafePress and continues to date with my OPM and other business emails. I delete spam and pretty much nothing else. Most of my email now goes through Google Apps mail server, so it is archived online as well. But I regularly backup my Eudora folders and can look up anything at any time.

If my Inbox has more that 1000 I make more filters and get things to their own folders. I recently move 25000 (!) posts from my ABW folder to an archive folder.

It's not hoarding, it's filing
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

My wife is pretty much that bad about it. The silly part is that when she made the transition from Windows to Mac, she insisted that I bring all the email over, including the email that was lingering in the trash. Tens of thousands of messages... spam... newsletters from years ago... everything. I've convinced her to delete things every now and then, but not so you'd notice - there's so much in there to begin with that it hardly makes a dent.

I'm not quite that bad, but like Michael, I like to have an archive of all my emails. I do try to get rid of the spam and non-personal/non-work emails though, so it's not too ridiculous lol
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark View Post
    My wife is pretty much that bad about it. The silly part is that when she made the transition from Windows to Mac, she insisted that I bring all the email over, including the email that was lingering in the trash. Tens of thousands of messages... spam... newsletters from years ago... everything.
    Sounds like she could be my new best friend
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I archive a year at a time of old stuff that I will PROBABLY never need again. But...ya never know.. I do like to know it's there. The other thing I've just started using is the "tags" in Thunderbird... that way I can keep stuff in the Inbox... but tag it for later response, etc. There used to be a principle of "only touch a piece of mail once"... Now I try to only "touch" a piece of email once without doing *something* with it... like delete, tag, move to another file.

The latest version of Thunderbird 3.0.4 does really have greatly improved organizational ideas. I always used lots of organised folders but now you can just hit "Archive" and it will go in a folder at the Account level. It's in sub-folders by year. I use that when I don't really want to file it but feel like hanging on to it.

I check 14 main accounts with their own Inboxes, and then the minor ones go in the Local Folder which is kind of a catch all. I leave the navigation pane open on the left set to "Unread Folders" and it is constantly updating showing which accounts have new messages.

Setting a separate email account for each affiliate network means that all the CJ stuff goes in an Inbox just for CJ and the same for SAS and the others. Since each network is different it helps my work flow to work with one network at a time.

None of my Inboxes will ever have more than 20 messages carried over to the next day unless I'm away. To clear Deleted items from the trash I use the Xpunge add-on a couple of times a day. With one click I clear all my Trash folders and then compact them.

The new Search in Thunderbird is really improved. Every time I use it I'm amazed at how good it is. You can search all messages or filter by Subject, From, Body, or 4 other filters.

My email data file is constantly being backed up offline by the service I use.

I'm still using Eudora, which allows me to create filters that automatically drop email into folders. This is especially important for the large volume of merchant emails coming through the networks (SAS, CJ, GAN, etc.), and also to separate out specific types of emails (newsletters, coupon codes, or program change notifications, for example). I also have folders for any emails or notifications coming through a social network (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter), so those don't clutter my regular inbox, and I have separate folders for emails related to my paid web services (e.g. Popshops, web hosting, email service). Of course, I also have spam filters for any spam that gets past the server-level spam filters.

Probably 90% of my (many hundreds of) incoming email messages each day are automatically filtered into low-priority folders, and another 5% is filtered into high-priority folders. What's left in my regular In-Box is about 20 emails per day, of which maybe a third is spam.

I have seriously considered using a more sophisticated CRM system to manage my email (but without any automatic tickets issued), so that I could identify emails that require action and track whether I've completed any required follow-up.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    You need to have my old email system through our ISP - if you did not file email, they just deleted it ALL! That's one way to clean things up.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Guess I am the opposite, I have 10 emails in my box now and I consider that too much
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Vinny... just curious.... potty trained at an early age?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    You need to have my old email system through our ISP - if you did not file email, they just deleted it ALL! That's one way to clean things up.
    That sounds like the perfect system! That way I could blame it all on somebody else..lol.
    leeann

I usually have between 20-50 emails in my inbox a day - the non-spam ones that is. I have lots of folders set up for the ones I keep, but judging by most of you guys, I don't keep nearly enough of them. Maybe it's like tax returns - I save 10 years of those, lol.

Funny, I spent the weekend unsubscribing to a lot of newsletters and cleaning out my inbox. I generally have about 500 emails in my inbox at any one time. When it creeps toward 1000, I clean it out. Every few months or so, I archive my emails to our home server and/or flash drive... juuuuuuust in case I might need something someday. And I have.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

You're right meadowmufn - it's that one time you really need that email that makes you wish you had kept all of them! I'll try to do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny O'Hare View Post
    Guess I am the opposite, I have 10 emails in my box now and I consider that too much
    I'm the same. The only reason any emails stay in my inbox is so they remind me to look into something/take care of something. They're always recent and are dealt with as quick as possible. I have 8 right now and am working on getting them gone.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

I, too, have the tendency to keep emails forever. I like being able to look up old messages (received and sent) as I am not the best at remembering things.
    It's not a problem for my computer as I do not download messages. I keep them on the server and access them when needed. My computer is always online anyway (when it's on, that is).
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Affiliate Manager
    delete, delete, delete. Any messages in the inbox means something I have not finished. I delete or move to another folder as soon as I have responded or taken care of the issue. If not, I get lost among all the stuff.

http and a telephoto
    I think there is a difference between what is in your inbox and what is filed on folders in your email program. Inbox should be fairly "light" so you see new stuff and deal with it, and folders are for filing and archiving. But we have "inboxes" for a variety of different things, and some of those "inboxes" are quite large, because they are the archive too

This thread is reminding me to take some of the "older" stuff and archive it to keep the current file folders with just 2010 stuff in them.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread