Help with Link cloaking
    Hi,

I'm trying to cloak my affiliate links using PHP.

I've followed the instructions and created a dir in my root dir called recommends. Then I created the php file as follow and saved it in the recommeds folder.

<?PHP

Header("Location: http://www.affiliatelink");
    Exit;

?>

The problem I have is that when I click the link in my site pointing to the php file in my recommend dir, it indeed redirects me to the affiliate link, but it doesn´t actually cloak the URL. What I see in the URL is still my affiliate link.

Any help?

Thank you

Wechito

Why are you cloaking? To hide the fact that's it an affiliate link from your visitor, or to hide your referring site from the merchant?

Because the fact your method doesn't completely cloak the URL once the visitor is on the merchants site.. ie: merchant.com/?affiliate1 shouldn't be a problem is it? Usually the need to cloak from the visitor is to not leak PR, or to hide fact your an affiliate. Either way, that is already accomplished by the time the visitor clicks your link.

If you want to completly cloak your referring URL from the merchant, there are .php ways to do it, but that is usually for a completely different purpose than what I think you are after. It involves a double meta refresh, and is generally considered 'grey-hat' at best.

Thank you for answering.

What I intend to do is to hide my affiliate link to avoid mainly two things:
    - people not clicking because it looks like and affiliate link.
    - people manipulating the URL and "stealing" my comission.

It sounds like to me you have accomplished what you wanted to do. They've clicked your link before they see it's an affiliate link.

Most of the solutions in this thread http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76981 still end up showing the affiliate id in the final destination url. Have a good read of that thread and you may find what you are looking for.

Thanks again,

I think I was wrong. What I was expecting was not only change the link on mouse over but also the URL on the product site when the visitor clicks the link.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread