Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Router vs Switch??
    I have a cable router (linksys) that I have had for years. It died yesterday so I headed out to Office Depot to buy another one. When I got home I realized I bought a switch? Is that the same as a router?

What I have is a cox cable modem which is connected to a router w/ ethernet ports in one room. I have a wired connection going from it into another room, which is plugged into another router (the one that died) and I have two computers and a playstation3 connected to it.

Can I use this switch thing like the router?

For some reason I am paranoid to use wireless. Old school (bordering on prehistoric) I guess .
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post

For some reason I am paranoid to use wireless. Old school (bordering on prehistoric) I guess .
    Wireless is perfectly fine, and secure if set up properly.

Take the switch back and get a good router, and go wireless.

But I'm more comfortable using wired connections. Ancient thinking, I know.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    But I'm more comfortable using wired connections.
    A switch should be fine for just a wired network then.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    A switch should be fine for just a wired network then.
    Thanks! Office Depot now has this policy that you can only exchange something if you open the package or I would have just given it a try.
    leeann

About 2 weeks ago my sister, who defines "old school", lost her router to old age. After about 2 hours of convincing her, she replaced it with a wireless router and is so glad she did. Now I get calls that start with: "guess where I am with my laptop". She's discovered that she can compute in the kitchen, bedroom and on our first 80 degree day last week, on her patio. She's now decided that she no longer needs her desktop computer.

I've been using a wireless router for years and I couldn't imagine being tethered to my desk.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

It's security fears I think.
    leeann

What is the difference between a Switch and a Router?
    leeann

ABW Ambassador
    It's security fears I think.
    You are as secure with a good wireless network as you are with a wired network, as long as the security is set up correctly.

Perhaps you should start a poll, asking who prefers a wired network over a wireless network.

..as long as the security is set up correctly.
    That's the part that scares me.
    leeann

ABW Ambassador
    That's the part that scares me.
    There are many people on ABW that would help you set up security if you needed the help to set it up properly.

Cool
    What is the difference between a Switch and a Router?
    a switch knows which cable sent a request and can answer using just that cable port. more efficient on a busy network. some have other features also.

My wife, who is a cancer survivor, fears radiation of all kinds and won't let me leave my wireless router on "mixed" for long periods. They are secure when protection is enabled and that's easy.

Get a wireless and turn the wireless function off when afraid. It has all the capabilities of a wired router too if it's like my Linksys WRT54G.

I have one wireless router, but I don't use the wireless part. So I guess what I need are two transmitters? Also, my friend installed the wireless router and bypassed the security part. I've tried to go back in and set it up, but without success.
    leeann

Other than the freedom to move around, what other advantages are there to wireless vs. wired? The wires are already installed and running throughout the house walls, so unsightly wires aren't an issue.
    leeann

I think most would say the freedom to move around is the primary, if not only benefit.

leeann - to 'get into your router' put the address 192.168.0.1 in the browser address line - that is (in general) the local router address. If your friend did not put in a password, then an enter will usually do - shutting off the wireless (or turning on the wireless) is a fairly straightforward click on the wireless page. If it does not have a password I'd put one in (and write it on a sticky you tape to the router). I'd stay away from changing any other settings. If you do go with the wireless get with some of the wireless experts here and set it up properly. When my grandson comes to visit, he doesn't have me turn on the wireless so he can connect his wireless laptop, he just hooks on to my neighbor's router.

As said the good part of wireless is the freedom from a wire. For me the downside is that wireless (while getting better) is still slower than wired.

A router has one IP address looking out the Internet and hands out internal IP addresses to the computers so they can 'share' the one Internet port. A router may also be a switch and have several ports. A switch doesn't hand out IP's; it just hooks several computers (or more switches) to a single output line (sort of a splitter)

Charles

ABW Ambassador
    So like I mentioned in another thread, finally got wireless after moving to new place. My brother tried to talk us thru setting it up but after 2 hours, gave up and just had the cable guy hook it up. We had a separate router/cable modem but cable guy hooked up one of these - http://www.ubeeinteractive.com/index...cable_router1/

So it's all together.

Security wise am I good? It says security enabled wireless network (WPA) and a little lock that's locked. And when I check the wireless networks nearby I can see my neighbors setup just like mine and see another one that says unsecured wirless network. Cable guy gave me a password and such. With my laptop, when I turn it on, I'm automatically connected. I guess when people visit, they just need the password to hook up to this wireless network? That was my main worry too, security, but I think I've got it setup right?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    So like I mentioned in another thread, finally got wireless after moving to new place. My brother tried to talk us thru setting it up but after 2 hours, gave up and just had the cable guy hook it up. We had a separate router/cable modem but cable guy hooked up one of these - http://www.ubeeinteractive.com/index...cable_router1/

So it's all together.

Security wise am I good? It says security enabled wireless network (WPA) and a little lock that's locked. And when I check the wireless networks nearby I can see my neighbors setup just like mine and see another one that says unsecured wirless network. Cable guy gave me a password and such. With my laptop, when I turn it on, I'm automatically connected. I guess when people visit, they just need the password to hook up to this wireless network? That was my main worry too, security, but I think I've got it setup right?

Sounds like you have it all set up correctly. Your neighbour needs to secure theirs though

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds like you have it all set up correctly. Your neighbour needs to secure theirs though
    Yeah. The one who has it secured I know because they're using their first name. The other one that's unsecured says something like dhdhdhsldsds, so have no clue who they are.

When I look at mine it's unsecured. Guess I'll try setting it up w/ a password again. I think I stopped before because I couldn't get into it, so I'll give what Charles said a try. I've seen people I don't know on the network. My friend said not to worry though, because I have passwords for my computers, but it makes me very nervous.
    leeann

Okay, I've put in the 192.168.0.1 and it brought me to a d-link page. It says to log in, but I don't have any log in information.
    leeann

ABW Ambassador
    Okay, I've put in the 192.168.0.1 and it brought me to a d-link page. It says to log in, but I don't have any log in information.
    Go to the d-link website and you should be able to download software to initialise the router so you can enter a new password.

Or if you have a CD, you should be able to run set-up again

Linksys requires "admin" for the password and blank for username. Try admin in one and then the other. It's a shot.

John is correct - all routers will ship with a default username and password, and the vendor's site will tell you what it is (if you've lost the manual).

You will have a few options for wireless security, most commonly, WEP and WPA/WPA2. Do NOT use WEP for your security protocol. It is easily broken using tools commonly found online. WPA - and especially WPA2 - are far, far more secure.

I resisted wireless for a couple of years when it was still new, but I wouldn't think of running cable in my home again at this point. If it's already in your walls, that's one thing. But otherwise... go wireless. Even the speed of the network isn't an issue these days. Unless you routinely transfer files that are dozens of gigabytes in size, you'll never notice a speed difference between wireless and wired.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast