View Poll Results: Do you display Prices?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I display prices

12 42.86%
  • No - I do not display prices

16 57.14%
    I just wanted to get some official feedback on this issue I have been going over. If you use datafeeds, PSCs, or none of the above please let me know your thoughts and reasons.

Thanks,
    Doug
    Thanks,
    Doug

http and a telephoto
    3. Sometimes

Some sites I use prices some sites I don't. Some merchants I use prices, some merchants I don't. It depends on how often I plan to update a particular merchant and a particular site.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Me too sometimes
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

My thinking is that if I don't display prices then they click to the merchant to get the price and my cookie is set.

Also, if I get behind I don't have to worry about having wrong prices.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

I allow prices to be posted where I'm using a dynamic javascript whatever-you-call-it product link. Hopefully the provider keeps up.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Nope!

Not only does the customer click more when I don't, it's a ball-and-chain for me to have to update constantly changing prices.

So not showing them is a double win for me.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Nope!

Even though all my sites update automatically everyday, thanks to Leader's advice I don't display prices and the difference it makes is reflected directly in my wallet!

DPG

Ditto.

What Leader and Dirk said.

I used to show prices from time to time, but it's just too much of a hassle to make sure they're correct. Even adding a "price subject to change" disclaimer leaves you open to problems if the price is different on the merchant's site. When I update those pages, I'm now dropping the price references.

It's much easier to not list prices, and it gets the customer on the merchant's site, which hopefully is designed to convert!

Andy

Depends on what I'm marketing, but usually yes.

The prices on one of my best performing sites range from about $50 to several hundred dollars, so allowing them to instantly compare prices without having to click through to the merchant helps with "sticker shock" when they click through to a higher dollar item. They can kind of say "well this one is too much, but this one is in my price range" without needing to click a dozen times.

I might lose some cookie sets but I think for my application, it works out pretty good.

Todd

I am with pretty much everyone else here. I have been phasing out pricing for almost everything. I am going to keep a few where the pricing is a motivational item.

Fred

Folks...a merchant chiming in here. If the prices are updated dynamically (e.g, via a dynamic PSC) does that change your position at all? Particularly if a merchant's prices tend to be the lowest available in the category??

Appreciate the feedback.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    What would be really useful would be if when an item goes on sale or clearance text would appear to point that out to the visitor.

"On sale" and "Clearance" might motivate a visitor to click a link. Putting up the price is rarely useful as it's more likely to be a reason *not* to click than to click. I want visitors to think, "Gee, that's nice. I wonder how much it costs," not "Ohhh, that's too expensive."

Very interesting stuff,

I'm a merchant and have assumed that it's better to show pricing. But, after reading this post I may tell all of my affiliates to take them down.
    Our products are comparatively cheap, most cost from 16.95 to 21.95, maybe buyers will be pleasantly surprised when they click on an affiliate link and get bumped to our site.

But there is a flip side, what if the buyer assumes that because prices aren't posted the products are too expensive?

What it comes down to is this
    CAN YOU GUYS HONESTLY SAY AS AFFILIATES THAT YOU MAKE MORE MONEY WITHOUT POSTING PRICES?

if so I'll make changes to my html templates immediately

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> CAN YOU GUYS HONESTLY SAY AS AFFILIATES THAT YOU MAKE MORE MONEY WITHOUT POSTING PRICES? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Absolutely!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> CAN YOU GUYS HONESTLY SAY AS AFFILIATES THAT YOU MAKE MORE MONEY WITHOUT POSTING PRICES?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, absolutely!

The ONLY time I've found an exception is when the item is ON SALE at a heckuva discount--and the item is not "always" on sale. (For instance, a sale could be: "Starbucks Coffee, normally $5.00/mug, now only $2.50! Note that the *brand* involved stays the same, not just the product type. This is not anything like a "buy Maxwell House instead and save money" type of promotion!)

I will note that the *merchant* site still needs to have its own prices showing. Nothing as frustrating as getting to the final destination and still having to hunt for the price!

But I have seen zero benefit to affiliate sites for listing prices except for the "on sale" exception.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Even though all my sites update automatically everyday, thanks to Leader's advice I don't display prices and the difference it makes is reflected directly in my wallet! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you decide to test something, try setting prices $1 or so over what the merchant has in the feed. So if the price is $11.95, display $12.95 and see if that helps convert the click-throughs better once they get to the merchant's site and see a lower price.

I've been dying to try it, but can't find affiliates who have enough traffic and would be willing to test.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi bcc,

I think I will have to decline from running that test. It goes against just about everything I removed the prices for in the first place.

If people are comparison shopping you are displaying a higher price than they probably will see elsewhere thus lowering the number of click throughs and by providing the price at all you are reducing still more clickthroughs as the price may be the information a viewer is looking for.

In Leader's words (paraphrasing as I dont remember exactly)... Always leave some succinct morsel of information off the page to encourage a browser to click through to the merchants site. This gets the browser one step closer to the checkout counter, sets the click and also reduces shellshock while the user decides whether he/she will buy or not as the site transition has occured before the decision to buy was made. Not after. Leaving the prices off is a perfect way to achieve this.

(Sorry Leader, I dont remember your words exactly but it was something along those lines and I haven't slept for 48hrs )

I'd prefer if our affiliates did *not* show pricing.

Pricing variance between affiliate and merchant is only going to confuse and bewilder, and that's one additional thinking cycle that the customer has to think about other than just simply purchasing the product. It can get even worse when they click through and the product price is higher on the merchants site.

I vote no pricing.

Regards,
    Victor Hanna, The BettyMills Company
    Home of Snack Rewards and the Double Markdown!
    Affiliate Login: http://www.GetBetty.com
    Signup Page: https://getbetty.com/affiliate_signup.aspx
    Home Page BettyMills.com

The majority concensus seems to be that displaying prices shows little or no benefit and may even directly hurt an affiliate's commissions.

I've heard enough, I want my affiliates to be happy with the commissions they are earning from our program and will be recommending that, in most cases, they should remove prices from their programs to boost their commissions.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread