Question Networks And Toolbar Questions
    I have a few quick questions about networks and them allowing affiliates that have toolbars.

YES or NO answers will be awesome.

1. Does CJ allow toolbars in any form?

2. Does SAS allow toolbars in any form?

3. Does GAN allow toolbars in any form?

4. Does LS allow toolbars in any form?

Thank you!

'in any form' is not completely clear. Generally speaking, yes all the listed networks welcome affiliates who use toolbars*.

*You may need to run the toolbar by them prior to launching it to obtain approval.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

15 years and counting
    Avantlink doesn't allow toolbars:
    Traffic Generation
    Affiliate reminders, notifications, tracking links or alerts of any kind, triggered by a merchant URL in the end user's browser address bar, are prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, browser helpers, plug-ins and toolbars.
    From http://www.avantlink.com/terms_and_conditions.php
    Bold added by me.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    All the networks you listed allow them. What can vary between those networks is the behavior allowed by the toolbar. This is the determining factor of whether or not any particular toolbar is allowed. Of the networks you listed, SAS would be the most restrictive. CJ, LS, and GAN have pretty similar policies.

From what Zeus posted, it would seem even Avant allows them conditionally

triggered by a merchant URL in the end user's browser address bar, are prohibited
    If they activate off the merchant's URL they aren't allowed.

There are toolbars out there that don't do this. They basically provide a static bookmark link.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B View Post
    There are toolbars out there that don't do this. They basically provide a static bookmark link.
    That's true. And we all know that even a static toolbar can be updated on the fly and change its behavior with no control from the desktop owner.
    We don't know what Snowfinch has in mind.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Even though I do know Snowfinch, you're right, we don't know why they are asking the question. Just answering their question.

And we all know that even a static toolbar can be updated on the fly and change its behavior with no control from the desktop owner.
    Yes and no. It can happen. But not as easily as some appear to think. Not as easily as we've seen behavior "fluctuate" with applications in the past. Those all to familar "glitches". The underlying coding to do that type of behavior was already built into the softwaer. To move from a toolbar that provides shortcut links and search to one that can prompt/redirect/etc takes a reworking of the base source code of the toolbar. It's more than just modifying the trigger database and commands that govern the behavior that goes with that database. That type of upgrade can certainly happen and as an automatic upgrade. So my "no" means it takes reprogramming of the entire toolbar not just pushing out an XML file trigger list for an update.

The issue for me is how well are the networks monitoring toolbars (due to the number of them) for this type of toolbar functionality change.

Of course any affiliate can make changes "on the fly" to their promotion. A web site based affiliate can suddenly do hidden forced clicks on their site controlled by a simple php script.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Don't worry. I have no interest in starting my own toolbar. LOL!

I don't even know how to start a real website. I just do what I call "Blogs On Steroids". But it's an honest living.

I was just curious about the toolbars and wanted to see if my theory was right about something.

Everytime I post in here, I am walking on thin ice. So, this was more of a question to answer my own personal lust for fairness.

I can already feel the ice cracking beneath my keyboard. Therefore, I'll leave it at that.

Thank you all for the answers. I do appreciate it.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    We work with affiliates that have toolbars but request that we are excluded from the toolbar. We do this regardless of which network and work with all five mentioned.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread